ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Virtues of using 7/8's
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:40 am 
Limited Edition

Why even waste the extra lead with 7/8th? 1/2 oz works just fine, or sometimes 3/8th for practice. Those that are recoil sensitive may want to just step it down to 1/4 to be on the safe side. 1/4oz @ 1050 fps out of a 9 1/2 lb gun has very little recoil.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am 
Limited Edition

https://www.eleyhawkltd.com/products/cl ... 1st-select

I've been shooting Eley Select in 7/8th of an ounce for quite a few years now, very pleasant to shoot and pattern well.

In the U.K. we sometimes have to use fibre wad and they are just as good as the plaswad.

I'm glad we we cannot shoot 11/8th any more, why get battered when there is no need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Why do folks write 1 1/8 oz as 11/8 or 2 3/8 in as 23/8. It is getting very common, but they are not the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:13 pm 
Limited Edition

rpenmanparker wrote:
Why do folks write 1 1/8 oz as 11/8 or 2 3/8 in as 23/8. It is getting very common, but they are not the same.

Poor education I suppose as we have used grams for quite a while now :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:31 pm 
Limited Edition

rpenmanparker wrote:

How about 1⅛, ⅞, and ¾ instead?

Here is an site that makes it easy. Just click on the fraction and it copies to your clipboard. https://www.alt-codes.net/fraction-symbols

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

old fart wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

Poor education I suppose as we have used grams for quite a while now :)

Ouch!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We quit using the metric system after we won the revolutionary war. Lol

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Our car speedometers are still M.P.H. though as are the speed limit sign's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:44 am 
Presentation Grade

Lots of good info, appreciate the talk.

One person cited using less shot handicaps one. By the letter of the shot charge law, yea, he's right. But there is more to it. Fatigue, being able to get onto the second target is just as important if not more so. So where one may take away from Peter Paul comes in with something else. That line of thinking can also be linked to chokes. More examples can be made as well.

I only brought this up because though I've gotten past the shot charge law in regards to 32gr vs 28gr, I'm having a hard time with 24gr. A 20ga charge. The load I'm using now is a fine load, no recoil issues. But last weekend I shoot a handful of 24gr, same speed, and was just amazed how I was ready and on the second bird so quick...comfortable after the first bird. Targets were two different crossers, high at 35 and 42 yards. I always shoot mods. Breaks were no different then the 1oz, but felt way better.

For myself, consistency is critical thus I'm not the type to change loads from practice to tournaments. Its not a cost issue. Just a conversation which steemed from....."wow, that felt really great".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Where I shoot there are usually a couple separator stations for the Master class shooters at the top and then all the rest of the stations are totally attainable but you have to be consistent and break all of those and if you’re getting your butt kicked by your shells that’s hard to do. I worry less about the separator stations.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:40 pm 
Limited Edition

bdog58 wrote:

One person cited using less shot handicaps one. By the letter of the shot charge law, yea, he's right. But there is more to it. Fatigue, being able to get onto the second target is just as important if not more so. So where one may take away from Peter Paul comes in with something else. That line of thinking can also be linked to chokes. More examples can be made as well.

I only brought this up because though I've gotten past the shot charge law in regards to 32gr vs 28gr, I'm having a hard time with 24gr. A 20ga charge. The load I'm using now is a fine load, no recoil issues. But last weekend I shoot a handful of 24gr, same speed, and was just amazed how I was ready and on the second bird so quick...comfortable after the first bird. Targets were two different crossers, high at 35 and 42 yards. I always shoot mods. Breaks were no different then the 1oz, but felt way better.

For myself, consistency is critical thus I'm not the type to change loads from practice to tournaments. Its not a cost issue. Just a conversation which steemed from....."wow, that felt really great".

That's why I've shot 24gr for years it makes everything easier and I don't hit less targets due to less pellets, it's gun placement that breaks targets not a few more pellets somewhere in the air.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:18 pm 
Crown Grade

old fart wrote:
bdog58 wrote:

That's why I've shot 24gr for years it makes everything easier and I don't hit less targets due to less pellets, it's gun placement that breaks targets not a few more pellets somewhere in the air.

OF, if that were rigorously true, then you could be shooting a rifle instead of a scattergun. Surely there is some point going down the pellet density continuum where you are going to let one more target through the pellet cloud at the same distance from the center of the pattern than with higher pellet counts. I can't say where that happens, but just knowing it does will encourage me to shoot the highest weight pellet load at 1,200 fps or less that feels to me like negligible recoil. I assure you that occurs for me above 24 g.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Robert,
I assume that you are loading your own shells?
In the U.K. we are not allowed home loads on any shooting ground. We have a very good selection of cartridges available here but there is a vast difference in the recoil level in the different loads, we are only allowed to use a maximum of 28g at all shooting grounds.
There are cartridges loaded with 21g which have more felt recoil than the Eley 24g that I use which is just due to the velocity, there are shooters who seem to think that a good thump in the shoulder is needed to break clays.
I'll stick with gun placement and low recoil.
All the best,
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:34 pm 
Crown Grade

old fart wrote:
Robert,
I assume that you are loading your own shells?
In the U.K. we are not allowed home loads on any shooting ground. We have a very good selection of cartridges available here but there is a vast difference in the recoil level in the different loads, we are only allowed to use a maximum of 28g at all shooting grounds.
There are cartridges loaded with 21g which have more felt recoil than the Eley 24g that I use which is just due to the velocity, there are shooters who seem to think that a good thump in the shoulder is needed to break clays.
I'll stick with gun placement and low recoil.
All the best,
Mike

No, I don’t reload. But my comments relate to all shells wherever produced.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After reading this. You got me thinking about loading up some 7/8 loads and going back to those for awhile. I used to use them a lot for my boy when he was young and they had the recoil of a gnat-fart and still broke most clays...LOL

Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent
Blaser F16
Blaser F3