ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What goes through your mind when......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

You get to the range early, allowing plenty of time to get your vest, glasses, and ear plugs on, get your cart in order, register, hydrate, etc. You’ve got time to shoottheshit with your pals.

You also got to bed early the previous night. Plenty of sleep.

Fifteen minutes before shoot time, you get together with your squad, and head to station 5, where you’re scheduled to start. Once there, someone shuffles the score cards to pick and establish shooting order.

You’re up first.

You jump in the station, and view the show (true) pair. They don’t look particularly difficult. You ask to see them again to double check which bird you should take first. You re-think chokes, as others in your squad are doing the same thing.

You decide your already in place LM/Mod chokes are perfect. You ask to see one more pair, verifying your visual, hold, and break points. You got your plan in order, and are ready to kick in you routine. You’re confident as these don’t seem particularly difficult.

You say PULL!

BANG, BANG. You miss the pair.

You re-think your plan and decide that you did not hold your focus on the right edge of the first target. You surprisingly missed it, and it affected your concentration on the second bird. You adjust your plan accordingly.

PULL, second pair. Dead/lost. You focused hard on the first bird, but missed your insertion on the second. You adjust your plan.

PULL, third pair. Dead pair, both birds hit hard. Your plan is now in order, but realize you’ve lost 3 birds already, and you gotta get the next two. You plan to buckle down, focus hard, and attack.

PULL, fourth and final pair. Dead/lost. You didn’t give that second bird the same focus you gave the first, and trying not to miss, you get caught looking into the gap.

You finish with a 4 x 8. The other 4 guys in your squad, all of whom are Master Class shooters like yourself, either run the station or just miss a single bird.

Okay, you’re off to a bad start.

What goes through your mind as you jump into your cart and head towards station 6? The simple answer is to say to yourself, “forget about it” and just do better. And that’s part of the solution. But something was wrong when you shot the last station, that needs to be addressed, fixed and/or avoided. Because if you don’t, you could have similar results at station 6.

I think we’ve all been in a situation like this, and more than once. What’s your plan to do when it happens? How do you right the ship and score a 89 x 92 on the remaining targets?

Post subject: Re: What goes through your mind when......
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am 
Diamond Grade

:lol: As you stated above, it was a loss of focus at the shot. As Zach always says, "See it late, watch it break". Wendell taught me to include the phrase"SEE IT", as I finish my preshot, right before I call pull.

I can relate, I once took a 2/10 on station 1, to finish with a 92. I've learned that if I miss, it was a lack of focus. And if I miss again, its because I'm in front.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 am 
Crown Grade

TR/SC3 wrote:
:lol: As you stated above, it was a loss of focus at the shot. As Zach always says, "See it late, watch it break". Wendell taught me to include the phrase"SEE IT", as I finish my preshot, right before I call pull.

I can relate, I once took a 2/10 on station 1, to finish with a 92. I've learned that if I miss, it was a lack of focus. And if I miss again, its because I'm in front.

Exactly! The body is sometimes present and ready, but not always the gray lump.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

The thought would inevitably cross my mind that I need to buckle down and break the last pair, but I would do my best to wash that thought and put my focus on the process that got me a dead pair and not the expectation/necessity of getting one.

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

TR/SC3 wrote:

A good friend of mine thinks that on easier/moderate targets we can sometimes be over confident and not give the target(s) enough respect.

Another form of not being ready and not being focus.

The older I get, the easier that trap is to fall into, and chit happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wendell told me that w/ my brain , keep it short and just "see it."

Also , when I miss I do not micro-tweak , I change the plan.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Jeez.. 3 show pairs? Not on this planet. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Happens, its worse when you are the higher ranked shooter and the other guys are all down in D/E and they run it while you tank. Also, I find that easier to recover from than those days where you only miss one, on almost every station, and always in the last two pairs, those misses drive me bonkers.

I actually have a physical process I do, nothing fancy just a small movement I use that cues my brain to forget everything that just happened. It took time to build that into your memory but it works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Mule Driver wrote:
You get to the range early, allowing plenty of time to get your vest, glasses, and ear plugs on, get your cart in order, register, hydrate, etc. You’ve got time to shoottheshit with your pals.

You also got to bed early the previous night. Plenty of sleep.

Fifteen minutes before shoot time, you get together with your squad, and head to station 5, where you’re scheduled to start. Once there, someone shuffles the score cards to pick and establish shooting order.

You’re up first.

You jump in the station, and view the show (true) pair. They don’t look particularly difficult. You ask to see them again to double check which bird you should take first. You re-think chokes, as others in your squad are doing the same thing.

You decide your already in place LM/Mod chokes are perfect. You ask to see one more pair, verifying your visual, hold, and break points. You got your plan in order, and are ready to kick in you routine. You’re confident as these don’t seem particularly difficult.

You say PULL!

BANG, BANG. You miss the pair.

You re-think your plan and decide that you did not hold your focus on the right edge of the first target. You surprisingly missed it, and it affected your concentration on the second bird. You adjust your plan accordingly.

PULL, second pair. Dead/lost. You focused hard on the first bird, but missed your insertion on the second. You adjust your plan.

PULL, third pair. Dead pair, both birds hit hard. Your plan is now in order, but realize you’ve lost 3 birds already, and you gotta get the next two. You plan to buckle down, focus hard, and attack.

PULL, fourth and final pair. Dead/lost. You didn’t give that second bird the same focus you gave the first, and trying not to miss, you get caught looking into the gap.

You finish with a 4 x 8. The other 4 guys in your squad, all of whom are Master Class shooters like yourself, either run the station or just miss a single bird.

Okay, you’re off to a bad start.

What goes through your mind as you jump into your cart and head towards station 6? The simple answer is to say to yourself, “forget about it” and just do better. And that’s part of the solution. But something was wrong when you shot the last station, that needs to be addressed, fixed and/or avoided. Because if you don’t, you could have similar results at station 6.

I think we’ve all been in a situation like this, and more than once. What’s your plan to do when it happens? How do you right the ship and score a 89 x 92 on the remaining targets?

What goes through my mind when I read posts like this is I would not shoot with anyone who has to see 3 show pairs. Selfish behavior like this example just drives up the cost for club owners that pass it on to everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Trickster wrote:
Jeez.. 3 show pairs? Not on this planet. :lol: :lol:

Agree 100 percent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I wouldn’t know, not shooting competitively. By just maybe you are missing because like every single other person you do not have the inherent ability to do the exactly right thing every single time. It isn’t about the brain. It isn’t about how well you see the target. Is is very simply about not being perfect in pointing the gun at the target. Some are more perfect. Some are less perfect. The ones who are more perfect become champions. The ones who are less perfect become also rans. It is the way of the world.

Don’t dramatize this. It is just how well you can point the gun.

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
I wouldn’t know, not shooting competitively. By just maybe you are missing because like every single other person you do not have the inherent ability to do the exactly right thing every single time. It isn’t about the brain. It isn’t about how well you see the target. Is is very simply about not being perfect in pointing the gun at the target. Some are more perfect. Some are less perfect. The ones who are more perfect become champions. The ones who are less perfect become also fans. It is the way of the world.

I thought you aimed...eye glued to the rib...

have things changed?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

remdog1187 wrote:
What goes through my mind when I read posts like this is I would not shoot with anyone who has to see 3 show pairs. Selfish behavior like this example just drives up the cost for club owners that pass it on to everyone else.

First, no one in my group sees more than one pair if it's a report pair when there's been a squad in front of them to watch. If it's a true pair, the NSCA rules specifically allow for at least two view pairs.

Second, of the 5 local courses I shoot, one of them allows only one view pair period. We stick to that. Another goes by the NSCA rules, and allows one view for report pairs, and two view pairs for a true pair. We stick to that, too. The three other clubs only ask that you keep it to a minimum.

Third, we always cover any extra view pairs at the facilities that allow for it afterwards.

Fourth, there's no NSCA rule that says you can't see multiple view pairs. Three view pairs, at a facility that allows for it, WHEN THERE'S NO SQUAD IN FRONT OF YOU, hardly is being selfish.

With that said, by you shooting off your mouth about something you don't know the specifics about, I wouldn't care to shoot with you either.

Last edited by Mule Driver on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I love how friendly a place Shotgunworld has become... {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:01 pm 
Crown Grade

delete

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:18 pm 
Crown Grade

painter* wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
I wouldn’t know, not shooting competitively. By just maybe you are missing because like every single other person you do not have the inherent ability to do the exactly right thing every single time. It isn’t about the brain. It isn’t about how well you see the target. Is is very simply about not being perfect in pointing the gun at the target. Some are more perfect. Some are less perfect. The ones who are more perfect become champions. The ones who are less perfect become also fans. It is the way of the world.

I thought you aimed...eye glued to the rib...

have things changed?

No change. I am doing my best not to incite a riot. As far as I am concerned, pointing and aiming are exactly the same. No need to complicate the issue with all that. The issue is whether you can do it well or not. The idea that everyone could be as good a SC shot if they only could clear their minds and focus hard enough on the target is plain and simple BS. Some people can just do it better than others. Period.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:

Sure, that can be a factor. Even champions are imperfect. However, the more skilled you become, just so is the importance of mental management. Once the given skill is there, it's about how you prepare for and play the game. Keep building your skill and you may start to notice this.

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:35 pm 
Crown Grade

When your round heads for the ditch early, it is a challenge to get re-centered. Shooters with the ability to forget what just happened seem to make the self correction more easily. Shooters that over think and replay the disaster station in their head all the way to the next post probably are in for the long day.

I have done both.....I wish I was more consistent at the forgetting the rough stations.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:56 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Taking the three show pairs, to me, indicates that you are indecisive and cannot commit to a plan and that is why you got 50%

Try one show pair of report and let us know?

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:41 am 
Crown Grade

Roger,

The person in my opening post was not me. It was a squad mate, who in fact went on and won that (very difficult overall) shoot that day with a 93. His recovery and (after that station) shooting was something that left a huge impression on me. Afterwards, we talked about what happened to him on the first station. Would have loved to been inside his head and been able to analyze what he mentally did during the rest of the shoot, especially when going to the next station.

As for view pairs: I believe that when a shooter gets to watch a squad in front of them shoot, even a single view pair isn’t really necessary. But when you come to a difficult station, with no squad in front of you to allow for viewing targets, and you’re shooting first, seeing one pair most days isn’t enough to formula a complete plan and establish one’s routine. Especially on a difficult true pair.

On grounds that have strict rules about just one view pair (like Bird’s Landing does), you’ve got to do the best you can with that one view pair. At venues that follow the NSCA rule book, one usually will see a couple more.

I’ve been shooting sporting clays for more than 35 years. Been Master Class for at least 12 years. Been on the All State Open Division team. Given that I’m 68 years old now, and my best shooting is 4 or 5 years down the river, seeing just one pair when going first on a difficult station isn’t going to give me enough to properly formulate a plan and execute a routine.

Your results may very, but I’d be willing to bet that scenario applies to most shooters.