ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What goes through your mind when......
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:11 am 
Presentation Grade

After the third show pair on a simple presentation, I’d be thinking, “For goodness sakes, I’ve got to skip around this squad!” The fact that this shooter won the match wouldn’t change my mind one bit. To me, it’s inconsiderate and borders on arrogant. What if everyone went thru that protracted rigmarole on every station? it would take all day to shoot a round.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

bdog58 wrote:

Its easy to see why 3 views may happen on a station. Difficult true pair. You have zero idea what you are gonna see. Zero idea on what bird to look at first. View. You see it, realizing you need to shoot the other one first. See it again, but with the difficulty one more time to cement the plan. So there ya go, 3x.

I'd agree, if a shooter is taking 2-3 views everytime...there is a problem and he'd hear about it if I was standing there. That isn't the case here, as I know mule and the squad. I shot the same shoot, and the same true pair. And though I like everyone else likes to keep cost low, when I'm paying 89 cents a tournament bird I have zero problem asking for another within the rules.

Diddle,

What part of these points that bdog made don’t you understand?

But, go on and skip around the station if you like (talk about something that can slow a tournament down if everyone did it - there you have it). You sound like someone who could violate others interpersonal distance real quick!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't get hung up on the 3 show pairs. I doubt this is the normal for this shooter or squad but I can say without question there are times when 3 makes sense, in particular when the club does a poor job of letting you know even where the targets are coming from.

Personally, there are times I view one pair....often I view 2 and if I need to I will view a 3rd though that is very infrequent.

I doubt the 3rd show pair had anything to do with the shooters issue on the station. More likely something in the terrain, or background led to an issue with the line for this particular shooters eye or an error in hold, pick up and breakpoints led to bad results. I know sh!t like that happens to me on occasion as a very experienced shooter and no doubt happens to virtually all of us except the top 5% of shooters. When a pro or high level none pro has a bad station they probably missed 2 birds....The OP is really trying to get feedback on how other experienced shooters right the ship and get back on track when the bad station has happened. My perception is that forgetting about the disaster is the best direction and trusting yourself and your experience and your training to do what you know how to do on the next station and all that come after it.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Diddle wrote:
After the third show pair on a simple presentation, I’d be thinking, “For goodness sakes, I’ve got to skip around this squad!” The fact that this shooter won the match wouldn’t change my mind one bit. To me, it’s inconsiderate and borders on arrogant. What if everyone went thru that protracted rigmarole on every station? it would take all day to shoot a round.
Agreed.
You only get one show target per trap in AFS. No exceptions.
Going to be some real problems for these shooters that cannot adapt.

Last edited by remdog1187 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mule Driver wrote:
bdog58 wrote:

Its easy to see why 3 views may happen on a station. Difficult true pair. You have zero idea what you are gonna see. Zero idea on what bird to look at first. View. You see it, realizing you need to shoot the other one first. See it again, but with the difficulty one more time to cement the plan. So there ya go, 3x.

I'd agree, if a shooter is taking 2-3 views everytime...there is a problem and he'd hear about it if I was standing there. That isn't the case here, as I know mule and the squad. I shot the same shoot, and the same true pair. And though I like everyone else likes to keep cost low, when I'm paying 89 cents a tournament bird I have zero problem asking for another within the rules.

Diddle,

What part of these points that bdog made don’t you understand?!

I understand all of what bdog said. As a rare experience on a poorly set target, no big deal. But, IME, these occasions are not rare .... shot behind a bunch of ‘em. Get in the box ... open and close the action ... fix hat ... wipe hands on pants ... open and close the action ... adjust glasses ... adjust cap ... wipe hand on pants ... call for another show bird ... open and close action ... adjust glasses... fiddle with hat ... wipe hands on pants ... open and close the action again, wipe hands on pants ... adjust the cap ... call “pull” miss two targets ... throw shells in bucket (or ground) and mutter some unintelligible excuse ... repeat 2X or 3X. Yep, got it. Skip ‘em.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Diddle wrote:
Mule Driver wrote:
bdog58 wrote:

Diddle,

What part of these points that bdog made don’t you understand?!

I understand all of what bdog said. As a rare experience on a poorly set target, no big deal. But, IME, these occasions are not rare .... shot behind a bunch of ‘em. Get in the box ... open and close the action ... fix hat ... wipe hands on pants ... open and close the action ... adjust glasses ... adjust cap ... wipe hand on pants ... call for another show bird ... open and close action ... adjust glasses... fiddle with hat ... wipe hands on pants ... open and close the action again, wipe hands on pants ... adjust the cap ... call “pull” miss two targets ... throw shells in bucket (or ground) and mutter some unintelligible excuse ... repeat 2X or 3X. Yep, got it. Skip ‘em.

I guess you missed the part where he said “that isn’t the case here as I know mule and the squad”.

The example you gave doesn’t relate whatsoever to what’s being discussed here. Or what actually took place. Maybe it would be better if you read and comprehend all the posts before popping off about something.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:49 pm 
Crown Grade

remdog1187 wrote:
Diddle wrote:
Agreed.
You only get one show target per trap in AFS. No exceptions.
Going to be some real problems for these shooters that cannot adapt.

Different game, different rules. All of which doesn’t apply to what is being discussed here. You shouldn’t be so bent to gig other people over something that’s not part of or applies to the discussion. Get real.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:05 am 
Presentation Grade

I guess all the show pair critics also have a problem when a shooter tells the fitasc ref, "I'm going to look at two show pairs for each target" before he begins. Like...never seen that. I have yet though to see a shooter walk away, skipping the peg.

Get off the show pair critique. Its about what happened after.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am 
Limited Edition

:D This post explains it all why, shooters on here have problems, they lack focus, wander all over the space and ignore posts, it must be extra double strength ADHD ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

Well put, Browning Citori Guy.

Here's a response that I received in a PM from Mike McAlpine. It's the kind of thing i was looking for.

Quote:
We all have done this before;Twice in my shooting career, I have missed the first pair and ended with a 98. I just stop and unloaded my gun and walked out of the stand. I stand there with my eyes closed, did my set up again and revisualized what I am going to do. Also, at least for me, I decided that I wasn't going to miss anymore. Now this doesn't always work but it does most if the time. You see, I am very confident about my ability when it comes to breaking a presentation. As long as I don't get pissed off about missing, I am fine. I do talk to myself like I was the student coaching myself. Being a shooter, coach and a target setter gives me more to draw from than just a shooter does. Being a salesman keeps me from getting too upset when I miss. It's kind of like making a sale. I never get discouraged. I just keep asking questions and asking for the order. I know this sounds silly but it is true. LOL

Mike McAlpine

Real info from someone who knows what he talks about.