ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What goes through your mind when......
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:58 am 
Presentation Grade

so you drop 4 on the first station.........ok a 96 isn't a bad score. Move onto the next.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:18 am 
Limited Edition

Trickster wrote:
Jeez.. 3 show pairs? Not on this planet. :lol: :lol:

I didn`t know you are allowed to be shown the pair 3x. Is this the norm?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Amazing how the only constructive piece of information contributed by some is in regards to view pairs. I'm sure they've never asked for a another if for some reason, they've needed to see one.

Its easy to see why 3 views may happen on a station. Difficult true pair. You have zero idea what you are gonna see. Zero idea on what bird to look at first. View. You see it, realizing you need to shoot the other one first. See it again, but with the difficulty one more time to cement the plan. So there ya go, 3x.

So maybe that was part of the issue here. Mule stated, not really difficult....or so was thought. Maybe it was. Maybe a trick that fooled the first shooter. Then, I'm sure aside from the plan adjusting, focus talk and all the rest there was a little voice saying.....how do you drop those? This is the first station!! Don't take yourself out now!!

Shooters behind see the trick, what happened. Pressure somewhat off of them now...they do well. First shooter knows He's taken himself out, so, just shoot. He does well.

Its easy to fall into traps that include more then a trap built into the pair. Sounds like one here.

Here is another trap. When viewing, a shooter watches the both birds together on a true instead of focusing on one bird. If its a difficult pair, lotta space, eye screw, may need another.....or two.

I'd agree, if a shooter is taking 2-3 views everytime...there is a problem and he'd hear about it if I was standing there. That isn't the case here, as I know mule and the squad. I shot the same shoot, and the same true pair. And though I like everyone else likes to keep cost low, when I'm paying 89 cents a tournament bird I have zero problem asking for another within the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'll tell you guys something I have seen to be true over the many years of shooting

"The more I practice , the luckier I get."

Subpart one--That includes the mental game.
Subpart 1.1 -- if you don;t know how to break targets , learn how and don't blame your mental game.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:12 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
I'll tell you guys something I have seen to be true over the many years of shooting

"The more I practice , the luckier I get."

Subpart one--That includes the mental game.
Subpart 1.1 -- if you don;t know how to break targets , learn how and don't blame your mental game.

Subpart one--To the extent that the mental game matters, i.e. after factoring in innate talent, training, and hard work/practice, I agree that it develops along with the physical game, right alongside.

Subpart 1.1--I just straight up agree with this.

In fact I agree with everything you said. I should have warned you to not read this standing up. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:15 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:

Sera,

If you’ve been following and comprehending what’s being said, this isn’t about a situation where the shooter who doesn’t know how to break targets. He in fact is on our All Regional First Team.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:25 am 
Crown Grade

bdog58 wrote:
Amazing how the only constructive piece of information contributed by some is in regards to view pairs. I'm sure they've never asked for a another if for some reason, they've needed to see one.

Its easy to see why 3 views may happen on a station. Difficult true pair. You have zero idea what you are gonna see. Zero idea on what bird to look at first. View. You see it, realizing you need to shoot the other one first. See it again, but with the difficulty one more time to cement the plan. So there ya go, 3x.

So maybe that was part of the issue here. Mule stated, not really difficult....or so was thought. Maybe it was. Maybe a trick that fooled the first shooter. Then, I'm sure aside from the plan adjusting, focus talk and all the rest there was a little voice saying.....how do you drop those? This is the first station!! Don't take yourself out now!!

Shooters behind see the trick, what happened. Pressure somewhat off of them now...they do well. First shooter knows He's taken himself out, so, just shoot. He does well.

Its easy to fall into traps that include more then a trap built into the pair. Sounds like one here.

Here is another trap. When viewing, a shooter watches the both birds together on a true instead of focusing on one bird. If its a difficult pair, lotta space, eye screw, may need another.....or two.

I'd agree, if a shooter is taking 2-3 views everytime...there is a problem and he'd hear about it if I was standing there. That isn't the case here, as I know mule and the squad. I shot the same shoot, and the same true pair. And though I like everyone else likes to keep cost low, when I'm paying 89 cents a tournament bird I have zero problem asking for another within the rules.

Well said, and addresses the point. Thanks for posting, bdog.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So , why did this Wunderkind miss?? Did he take too many show pairs? Did someone tie his knickers in a knot??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:13 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
So , why did this Wunderkind miss?? Did he take too many show pairs? Did someone tie his knickers in a knot??

I could see a wedgie causing a serious loss of concentration.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:

Sera, from what I’ve seen in 35 years of participating in this sport, this is this kind of thing happens to just about everyone at onetime or another. The mental game of getting by it, and moving forward and shooting well is what’s being addressed here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am 100% sure that you can NOT just tell someone the mental game. It comes w/ practice , competing , rinse and re-do. Over and over.

No simple answer . Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:51 am 
Limited Edition

Mule,
I would wager it has to do with getting back to process oriented shooting.
The top guys have very diciplined technique and processes from the pre shot to the eye hold point to the gun hold point , break point/zone, etc.
I believe they regroup mentally by focusing on the process involved to break the target versus a focus based on just breaking the target.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd shoot with you anytime.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
I am 100% sure that you can NOT just tell someone the mental game. It comes w/ practice , competing , rinse and re-do. Over and over.

No simple answer . Sorry.

No one has said there is a simple answer, Sera.

And there’s no question that the mental takes a lot of time and work to develope. And that you must have a solid foundation of skills going in before it’s going to be of any real help.

Please show me anywhere on this thread where I or anyone else has said something different.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Gunsmokesupply wrote:
Mule,
I would wager it has to do with getting back to process oriented shooting.
The top guys have very diciplined technique and processes from the pre shot to the eye hold point to the gun hold point , break point/zone, etc.
I believe they regroup mentally by focusing on the process involved to break the target versus a focus based on just breaking the target.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd shoot with you anytime.

Dave

Thanks Dave. If you are ever in the SF Bay Area we can put something together. Sounds great!

Good post with excellent points.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zach(yeah , that Zach) said a few years ago that the mental game is built and then nourished.

You have to eat right , not drink too much (oops that leaves me out , I gotta have wine) and starts days before a shoot.

Ain't nothing you can turn on and off like a switch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:09 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

There is a very easy answer to this problem of lack of focus / mental game .
" Can I see third pair please ?"
" No Sir."
That sure focuses the competitors mind , possibly not on the right thing I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:22 pm 
Limited Edition

I have lost one on Station 1 at skeet and got so mad at myself I cleaned the rest of the round for 24, turn it into aggression for the next shots

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I know the answer I know the answer I know the answer!!!

Sh!t Happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Looking forward to dealing with this in a couple of weeks Mule Driver. Time to go to work...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:39 am 
Crown Grade

MartyFischer wrote:
Looking forward to dealing with this in a couple of weeks Mule Driver. Time to go to work...

I’ll be ready, Marty.

Greg and I have you booked Wednesday morning at Bird’s Landing and Saturday morning at Wing and Barrel.

Jimmy Wright is the new range master at W&B, and he’s doing a fantastic job. The facility/targets are really good, and there will be more opportunity to deal with some tougher presentations. A long, high, fast dropping teal as a second target is on my list of things to get to.

I’m looking forward to a good ass-chewing both days, as I’m in need of that and I know you’ll deliver.