ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone shoot AFS yet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:54 am 
Field Grade

I shot it at Northbrook sports club on Saturday. Nice change of pace.

Post subject: Re: Anyone shoot AFS yet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:11 am 
Limited Edition

JoM, tell us more. What did you like/dislike about it? I almost made the drive up there, but couldn't swing it. I'd like to give it a go sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:18 am 
Limited Edition

The only good thing is you don’t have to deal with the french

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:30 am 
Presentation Grade

From David Radulovich on Facebook:

"So this weekend while teaching at Northbrook Sports Club I decided to squeeze in 275 targets of the new American Field Sporting game that Mark Baltazar has come up with.

At first, I figured from reading the rules and understanding how it was played, that it would be something that was kind of too "fun" to be seriously professional, and that I'd enjoy shooting it but would like the purism of FITASC more.

Wow, was I wrong! I don't think I've ever enjoyed a full day of shooting more in my 20 year career -- and that's no exaggeration. There are four different "styles" to #AFS -- Red, White, Blue, and Green. Regardless of the style, a full layout takes no more than 30 minutes to complete with a full squad. I never felt rushed, never felt unprepared, it just followed really well.

With the variety of styles, I felt like I was shooting a different game every 30 minutes. The X bird was always something to look forward to and strategize for -- especially being able to use my new Gamebore US #DarkStormX loads! The one shot singles we're a fun addition of a little extra pressure. I had a blast!

I really foresee this game being something that fulfills the huge gap between the 12 million people that shoot clay targets and the 25,000 members of the NSCA.

If you get a chance to try this game, I highly recommend you do! Just follow the Facebook page I've tagged in this post for any updates to events (or look on Winscore for an AFS event).

I'm going to try to put a video of this out fairly soon to go more in depth."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

while there may be 25,000 "members" only about 10,000 shoot SC's regularly. That number has not changed in 20 yrs.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 am 
Field Grade

I shot it at the meadows and loved it, I mostly only shoot fitasc and sub gauge fitasc at a tournament so this gives me another event to shoot.
I don't care for sporting and normally would only shoot the prelim in sporting.
I hope it turns into a alternative event instead of sporting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

Variety is the word I would use to describe it. I shot the Sam Adams course.
The green course was similar to 5 stand which you are shooting a single 1shot,asingle full use of the gun and then 2 pairs of which can be report or true. when you shoot station 5 you also shoot the x bird which you have full use of the gun 2 points for the first hit 1 for the second shot.
The red, white and blue shooting courses are similar to Fitasc. Shooting from hoops the same menu as above. The variety is to me that you don't shoot more than twice at the same bird from 1 position. You also shoot the whole menu at the peg when its your turn.
Also nice is that it is scored by refs.

The 1 criticism I have is they do not have a system figured out on the scoring as to who goes FIRST each shooting station. As in all sporting games going first has its disadvantages.

Last edited by JoM on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

JoM wrote:
The red, white and blue shooting courses are similar to Fitasc. Shooting from hoops the same menu as above.

The Blue layouts I shot were stands, not hoops, though I think either could be used. Two sets of two stands, each with four dedicated traps as I recall, plus an X Bird. Kinda sorta a cross between new-style FITASC and Super Sporting.

I particularly enjoyed Red. I like the one-shot singles. The X Birds are a hoot and can soothe a bruised ego if you crush them with your first shot.

Some people won't like the fact that view birds are limited to one, and no pairs shown, ever, and it can be a disadvantage if you're the first shooter. But my squads rotated through the layouts and it seemed as if everybody suffered equally. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shot it as well (but not well) - but only the 75-bird event.

-Fast - all your singles in pairs without rotating thru
-1 show bird
-X-bird - allowed me to make up for a stupid loss or two by breaking it on the first shot on 2 layouts.
-Really liked the Red layout - most unique
-30 minutes or less is achievable on each field type.
-refs required
-I got a new hat out of it.

Dislike:
-Station rotation. IE 5-person squad - this was my experience:

Start the shoot on a Red Field (5 hoops) You start the squad and then and end up 2nd on the X-bird (hoop 5); you move to White Field (fitsac like - 3 hoops) you are now up again to start. I questioned this that I was starting again - was told that you just keep rotating to the next in line - so shooter #1 from Red was up again. I explained that would not be how that would probably go in Fitasc - "Well this is not Fitasc" - Ok...... I decided I would roll with it -Fine. Get to the the Blue Field - get to the second layout (stand #3 if you are counting) 4-new traps we haven't seen - again. I start..... again. So I got to shoot 16 new traps. It was like starting every other station on a sporting course.

Meh (neither like or dislike - it just is):
-Blue - felt like new style fitasc - I like it - just not too much different. I could probably say the same for white - but the singles and pairs at once was a great change.

-I see that ScoringPro hasn't added an "other" type to the "event type" like WinScore has - they need to get on that now or some guidance from someone on what we should use if that is your preferred scoring platform (probably iClays as well).

Don't know yet:
Green Looks like it will be fast. Watched it and thought that it was good.

Will definitely shoot again due to the speed that it moves. Easy to figure out. The comments of too many rules is ridiculous. 1 shot single, 2 shot singles, pairs and an X-bird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shot it at NSC last weekend. All formats have one shot singles, followed by a two shot single. Then as many pairs as are dictated by the number of stands required to get to 24 birds. X bird is two points if hit on first shot and one point if hit on the second shot. One shot singles you load one shell. No ammo limitation beyond regular sporting clays.

Red Field layout is like Five stand. Four stations in a row not more than 20 feet apart. No shells in your ear from the guy next to you. Everyone shoots the whole menu, two singles then two pairs, at stand one and then the squad moves. Same on stands/hoops two and three. Last you shoot the x bird. Minimum 5 traps plus x bird trap.

White Field layout is like old style Fitasc. Max 4 shooters on a stand. 3 Stands shot from left to right and each shooter shoots full menu of two singles and three pairs. Then the X bird is previewed and shot by everyone. Hoops are set at discretion of target setter. Five traps minimum plus the x bird trap.

Blue Field layout is a mix between super sporting and new style fitasc.
Three separate layouts with three traps and two stations per layout. Plus an X bird trap on one of the three layouts. Total of six shooting positions so you get two singles and a pair on each station. The X bird may be on any layout.

Green is a variation of RED which has a shooter on each of the four stands shoots that stand's two singles and two pairs. Shoot your menu and each person rotates.

A shoot may be a combination of different field layouts or all of one type of Field layout. There are scorekeepers and a master score sheet at each Field. This game has much faster throughput than five stand, super sporting or FITASC. Basically it eliminates a lot of the wait times between shooters.

The targets we had at Northbrook were well set and somewhat easier than their normal FITASC. All in all I think this will attract shooters who don't shoot FITASC now. It will probably kill super sporting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just wonder if the smaller Clubs will consider it due to finding/being able to have enough Refs to cover it? Do they use two refs per lay out? 1 pulls while the other scores?

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:41 am 
Presentation Grade

One ref per "field" is plenty. No different from 5-stand in that regard, if a club can offer a registered 5-stand or FITASC event this should be no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:42 am 
Field Grade

I think that all of the descriptions of the field layouts will be finalized shortly after locking down the rules now that the bugs are worked out. Being setup so a squad of 5 is able to shoot at all 4 field types.

Red: 30x60 area for the pegs, with the pegs alternating front to back - zig-zagging. 4 pegs have the 1 shot single, 2 shot single, 2 pairs. (6 targets per hoop, 4 hoops for 24 total targets) 5th hoop is x bird. Single view of targets from center only plus one at the X-bird peg. 5 traps plus x-bird.

White-(like old style Fitasc) 5 traps + x-bird. 1-shot single, 2-shot single, 3 pair. And x-bird. (8 targets per hoop + x-bird at one hoop)

Blue( new style or super sport like): 4 traps per layout (+ x-bird on one layout), 2 layouts per field, 9 traps total. Layout 1 - Stands 1&2 have 4 traps. Each stand is 1-shot single, 2-shot single, 2 pair - 12 targets. Layout 2 would have similar (12 targets) but the added x-bird trap for 25 or 26. Singles viewed at each stand once.

Green (5-stand like). 5 traps plus x bird trap. Shoot entire menu before rotating. X bird shot at station 5.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdshooter1 wrote:
One ref per "field" is plenty. No different from 5-stand in that regard, if a club can offer a registered 5-stand or FITASC event this should be no problem.

Thanks {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX