ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Couple of rules questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:25 am 
Crown Grade

Something was brought up in another thread, and I didn't want to derail that with my questions.

In a registered sporting event (not 5 stand or FITASC) can a shooter after he/she has shot at least a pair of targets:
1. change chokes?
2. leave the stand and then resume shooting after a break?

I didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting either of these other than a possible disruption to the shoot.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

Post subject: Re: Couple of rules questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

It is the sole responsibility of the shooter to begin any event,
station and/or field with sufficient equipment, including safety equipment and ammunition. Failure to do so, which in the
opinion of the Field Judges will delay the shoot, will result
in the loss of all targets as required to keep the shoot moving. Make-up targets will be provided only at the discretion
of the Shoot Officials

3. Shotguns with interchangeable or adjustable chokes are permitted at the shooter's discretion. The first shooter on a station
may view targets, then change chokes prior to shooting any
targets. Only then chokes may be changed or adjusted between stations. Failure to comply will result in all targets
on that station attempted after the infraction being scored
as LOST or MISSED

Clear as day in the book about chokes. See page 42.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

Lt, thanks for the clarification on choke tubes. I saw it in the 5 stand section, but missed it in the sporting.

With regard to my other question, say a shooter misses his first pair of targets. Can he step out of the cage/hoop/etc., clear his head and resume shooting? I have seen shooters stop and take a quick break when they have a miss, especially on "easy targets". I haven't seen anyone physically step out of the box.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1. no changing choke tubes once the station has begun.

2. I guess you could step out and take a 20 second break but you can't shoot a pair , allow another shooter to shoot their pairs and then resume the rest of your pairs. If you do this , you forfeit your remaining pairs. I have seen this when a top shooter has a "pet" squad and his pets allow it but it's ain't close to right.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

If it's a legit shoot and I am supposed to follow someone who is taking a break, I'm waiting for break time to be over. They aren't getting an advantage by watching others shoot out of rotation. If they are in distress or having a health issue they should stop shooting and seek attention. Leave the station and squad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 pm 
Limited Edition

OK, so section B (Shotguns) 3 talks about changes of chokes.

Quote:
The first shooter on a station may view targets, then change chokes prior to shooting any targets. Only then chokes may be changed or adjusted between stations.

Can someone check what I believe the second sentence actually means? As I understand it, it means:

Other than the first shooter on the station, shooters may only change chokes when they are out of the shooting position or are between stations.

Have I got that right? That is the practice I have seen allowed at registered shoots. And it says that a shooter other than the first shooter should not be changing chokes after stepping into the shooting station, right?

Thanks, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:17 pm 
Limited Edition

It is my understanding that all the folks in the squad must change chokes if they choose to do so BEFORE the first shooter engages any targets. (at each station)

Perhaps I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm 
Crown Grade

The first shooter on station may change chokes after seeing the view targets. The rest of the squad can change chokes anytime prior to getting in the station. If you waited for everyone to complete changing chokes prior to the lead off person shooting, you would have some major delays.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

This and the other thread on Briley’s click chokes reinforces my commitment to fixed chokes—MOD and MOD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

The rule doesn't state that other than the first shooter can't change a choke while in a station prior to shooting. Not often noticed, but does happen....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

chips&clays wrote:
The rule doesn't state that other than the first shooter can't change a choke while in a station prior to shooting. Not often noticed, but does happen....

As was stated above, :

Quote:
Shotguns with interchangeable or adjustable chokes are per-mitted at the shooter's discretion. The first shooter on a station may view targets, then change chokes prior to shooting any targets. Only then chokes may be changed or adjusted be-tween stations. Failure to comply will result in all targets on that station attempted after the infraction being scored as LOST or MISSED.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

The second shooter, or others to shoot are not viewing show targets, and doesn't state they cannot change a choke. Only first shooter stated to do so and then may change chokes...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 pm 
Crown Grade

I think the spirit of the rule for sporting is that the only person that can change their choke while standing in the cage is the first shooter after having viewed the show pairs and before calling for the first live score able targets.

The rest of the squad can change their chokes during the time that others before are shooting their targets and before their turn to shoot.

No one can shoot a pair and decide they screwed up on choke selection and make the change then. You play with the cards you were dealt at that point.

In 11 years of shooting, I have never seen this be an issue in competition. Have never observed anyone request to change mid stream. Most of the time, shooters are ready to go when its their turn to shoot.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:14 am 
Crown Grade

xsshooter wrote:
Something was brought up in another thread, and I didn't want to derail that with my questions.

In a registered sporting event (not 5 stand or FITASC) can a shooter after he/she has shot at least a pair of targets:
1. change chokes?
2. leave the stand and then resume shooting after a break?

I didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting either of these other than a possible disruption to the shoot.

1. VII.B.3 Shotguns with interchangeable or adjustable chokes are permitted at the shooter's discretion. The first shooter on a station may view targets, then change chokes prior to shooting any targets. Only then chokes may be changed or adjusted between stations. Failure to comply will result in all targets on that station attempted after the infraction being scored as LOST or MISSED.

The first shooter in the stand views targets, then has the option of changing chokes before shooting. The remainder of the shooters in the squad may change chokes before they begin shooting that station. Under no circumstances may a shooter change chokes after attempting a target at a station. If this happens, all targets attempted after the change are LOST.

2. VII.G.9 During a registered event, each shooter must verify his/her score before leaving the station. Once the shooter has left the station, his/her score is final.

There is no such thing as "leaving the stand to take a break." A shooter leaves the stand only when he/she is finished shooting, and his/her score is final at that time. When you step out of the stand for any reason, your turn to shoot is over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:57 am 
Limited Edition

Interesting. I’ve seen people leave the stand to swap guns after a malfunction, to get a bandaid from their pack after a cut was noticed, and to wait for club management to come fix a malfunctioning machine. I didn’t realize the rest of their pairs should have been scored lost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 am 
Crown Grade

I have seen shooters exit the box in sporting for numerous reasons. They are allowed as long as they don't delay very long and the field judge allows it. The rule citation by DrM refers to scoring issues on a scoring card. I always unload and step out during a trap malfunction, trap reload, to get a score card or during a trapper/scorer issue. A shooter doesn't only leave the stand when done shooting. And your turn isn't over unless the trapper scorer says so. This isn't FITASC.