ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Why Not A Semi Auto For Sporting Clays?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I went from a stable of Perazzis from a few tricked out Urikas 391. Sold all the 391s, which was a mistake. But......Perazzi, what's not to like for NSCA Main Event sporting clay competition. Plus, all my squad was shooting them and we know how that goes.

Barrels separated on 2 of the Perazzis and I didn't have a backup that I had any confidence in. A squadmate also had shipped his Perazzi off to have his separated barrels fixed and his backup was a Fabarm XLR5 FR. I shot a round with it and really liked how it performed. Tried to buy a new one, Fabarm USA said that model had been discontinued but was replaced by a better one, the L4S.

Over time, decided to investigate the L4S Sporting model, and watched a couple of Randy Wakeman's videos and thought, he's just blowing smoke, it cannot be that good. Long story short, bought one, and after several tweaks, I found out Randy was not blowing smoke at all, and in fact, I'm probably more impressed than he was. Best auto I've ever owned, by far, and now the Perazzis are back from being repaired, and they are in the safe, backing up the L4S.

I think I better purchase another one before this inflation really sets in on guns coming out of Europe. In the the beginning, they were priced well under $1850, which is what I paid. They will go up, no doubt, as the USD continues it's downward trend against the Euro.

Last edited by 4th. down on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just looked on Fabarm web site, and they still show the XLR-FR, but only in left hand. I have had my left hand XLR-FR for several years and love it- may be time to get a backup, especially if they will offer close out prices.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

There ain’t nothing wrong with a semi auto for sporting clays. Anthony mattarese won a lot with one!

I still have my a400 xcel I’ll never get rid of it. They are great tools for shooting

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 pm 
Field Grade

Recently, I broke out my 390 Sporting again and put away my Beretta 682 Gold Sporting and 687 EELL Sporting. I added a Graco Breako 10 oz weight and headed to the SC course.

My scores are up, 9 punches over one weekend and now up a class.

I bought two more 390’s Sportings just in case.

GREAT GUNS with a very good trigger.

NSCA Life Member 511461 Since 1993.
War Eagle!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Allguns wrote:
Recently, I broke out my 390 Sporting again and put away my Beretta 682 Gold Sporting and 687 EELL Sporting. I added a Graco Breako 10 oz weight and headed to the SC course.

My scores are up, 9 punches over one weekend and now up a class.

I bought two more 390’s Sportings just in case.

GREAT GUNS with a very good trigger.

Shhhh! Don't tell everyone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Why not a semi auto you ask? I have both O/U and semi auto. The primary reason I like the O/U over the semi auto for sporting clays is that where I shoot, a semi auto throws shells off of the elevated stands and down the hill and it simply takes too much time to retrieve your shells if you reload without either drawing the ire of the other members in your squad or the squad behind you waiting to shoot that station. If you don't reload and don't care about retrieving empties, this isn't an issue. But since I reload, I can keep all my empties with little fanfare with the O/U. The secondary reason is that I am also in the camp that believes that having 2 chokes on a sporting clays course offers some level of an advantage over a single choke. If you have a 15 yard crosser and a 45 yard quartering target, it makes more sense to me to put in either cylinder or skeet in one barrel and either improved modified or full in the other barrel vs just having a modified choke in your single barrel semi auto and hoping for the best. Logic tells me that in that scenario the O/U has some advantage. Maybe not a whole lot but some advantage does exist at least in my mind. Others will probably disagree but to each his own as they say. So those two factors combined is why I shoot the O/U on the sporting clays course.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The O/U only has 1 moving part unlike the Jam-O-Matic.

But I did just buy a Beretta A400.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
The O/U only has 1 moving part unlike the Jam-O-Matic.

But I did just buy a Beretta A400.

The good news is that a good competition auto loader is extremely reliable and no jam-o-matic. Your A400 will be fine in particular knowing you run pretty good ammo through your guns. They need to be cleaned but mine run great for 800-1000 targets between deep cleaning. I know I could push it further but I typically do a full tear down at the end of every month to clean everything.

Between my 391’s and current A400 I am over 100K rounds fired thru my gas guns with very few malfunctions. Most any of the fail to cycle or feed are ammo issues. Bad primer, bulge, bad brass or low/no powder drop

I can’t speak for others experiences but mine have been very positive running my Beretta’s.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="KRIEGHOFFK80"]The O/U only has 1 moving part unlike the Jam-O-Matic.

I guess you never used your barrel, barrel selector, safety, ejectors, trigger,lever and all the other numerous moving parts in the receiver, forend and barrel of your O/U? Tell me about that one moving part, it must be a magical gun.

Last edited by lt0026 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

^^^^^^ :lol: {hs#

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9