ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was trying to avoid a club argument about hunting shotguns versus sporting shotguns. Some tried to stay focused on real issues while others strayed off mixing apples and oranges.

To clarify with examples: Take a modern Browning O/U, labeled factory Hunter with 3" chambers, and 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.

Opposed to a modern Browning O/U, labeled Sporting Clays, with 2&3/4" chambers, 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.

Besides the obvious weight difference, is there a difference in the top and bottom barrels point of impact? The Hunter verses Sporting given the same shooter holding both guns.

This issue pertains to Perazzi, Beretta, Guerini, CZ, Rizzini, and others that offer both.
Some say you can't use a hunter for sporting clays or 5-stand, you probably already know my answer to that, because sporting clays mimics hunting.

So, go ahead and give this your best shot! Please no sarcasm or hurtful remarks.
I'm going to print the answers and post at my clubs.

Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Besides the obvious weight difference, is there a difference in the top and bottom barrels point of impact? The Hunter verses Sporting given the same shooter holding both guns.

This issue pertains to Perazzi, Beretta, Guerini, CZ, Rizzini, and others that offer both.
Some say you can't use a hunter for sporting clays or 5-stand, you probably already know my answer to that, because sporting clays mimics hunting.

There MIGHT be a difference - depending on brand as to whether a sporting model might shoot a little higher versus flatter for a field gun - that would apply across the brands you mentioned. TYPICALLY- but not always - the weight difference is the factor

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Weight and robustness. Generally speaking, a hunting gun is designed to be carried a lot and shot a little. By contrast a target gun is designed to be shot a lot and carried a little...

Any good quality 2 barreled gun should have both barrels shooting to very close POI's at 30 yards, say to within 3 inches of each other. (Not withstanding the fact there may be a specific desire to have them at decidedly different POI's; for example one might want a unique set-up for trap doubles or flyers.)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

As you noted, weight also stock dimensions including drop, thinner, no palm swell, width of rib, auto safety, flush chokes . . .typically.

Usually, hard to find 32” barrels on a field gun.

Last edited by Scardog7 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

One thing many overlook is the fact that in most cases (uplands), birds start slower and accelerate, targets are the opposite.

My primary upland gun is a light 12 ga, 6lbs, 10 oz. my primary target gun is 9lbs. Other than dove and waterfowl hunting, I generally don’t come close to the swing speed and distance I do shooting clays.

I’d rather tackle the uplands with my clay-blaminator though, than shoot a three day tournament with a sub 7lb, neutral balanced upland gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^^Totally agree^^^^^^

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yep for me it's about weight eating recoil and smoothing the swing for planned shots in clays.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

Weight, weight, weight.

Sporters tend to have beefier stock dimensions (buttstock and fore end), thicker recoil pads, wider ribs, oftentimes longer barrels. Unless you are standing on a peg for driven birds, the uplands rough shooting gun must be carried 95% of the time and shot 5% of the time.

Are they patterned (collimated) differently? Harder to say. It used to be that field guns were ideally regulated at 50/50 and sporters tended to be more like 60/40.

Field guns tend to come with more drop in the stock while target guns always seemed to be higher combed to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:01 am 
Limited Edition

Hunting gun = carried a lot shot a little. Sporting Gun= shot a lot carried a little.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:44 am 
Tournament Grade

simslax wrote:
Weight, weight, weight.

Sporters tend to have beefier stock dimensions (buttstock and fore end), thicker recoil pads, wider ribs, oftentimes longer barrels. Unless you are standing on a peg for driven birds, the uplands rough shooting gun must be carried 95% of the time and shot 5% of the time.

Are they patterned (collimated) differently? Harder to say. It used to be that field guns were ideally regulated at 50/50 and sporters tended to be more like 60/40.

Field guns tend to come with more drop in the stock while target guns always seemed to be higher combed to me.

Yes, I completely agree with this post and I will print this one for the club.
Scatergun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

hunting gun is designed to be carried alot and shot very little
sporting gun is designed to be shot a ton and carried very little

balance and weight and barrels and overall designs and thought that goes into both verticals of guns is totally market driven by needs and wants.

However I do take my A400 xcel to the duck blind 32" barrel gets some goofy looks from guys, but that's ok, at the end of the day the bird count usually tips in my favor.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Scatergun71 wrote:
I was trying to avoid a club argument about hunting shotguns versus sporting shotguns. Some tried to stay focused on real issues while others strayed off mixing apples and oranges.

To clarify with examples: Take a modern Browning O/U, labeled factory Hunter with 3" chambers, and 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.

Opposed to a modern Browning O/U, labeled Sporting Clays, with 2&3/4" chambers, 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.

In Browning's case, it is a largely a label. https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... rting.html

Both have 3 inch chambers, the same point of impact, the same actions, the same barrels. You get porting and a couple of extra choke tubes along with an adjustable trigger shoe.

The "hunting model" is a far better-looking gun to my eyes.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have to completely agree with Mr. Wakeman on this one.
The wood looks three times better on the hunter than the sporting.
Who needs an ajustible trigger to hit a pheasant, duck, or clay target.
Everyone I know absolutely hates ported guns, especially on trap, 5-stand, and skeet fields.
My sporting gun weighs 8lb. 2oz. and I rigged a three-wheel stroller up to walk a Sporting course.
I just can't carry that lead pipe and a bag of shells walking 1.3 miles with 13 or 14 stations.
Next year I will need a golf cart because I'm getting older and my gun ain't getting any lighter.
Mike