ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm
Posts: 210
I was trying to avoid a club argument about hunting shotguns versus sporting shotguns. Some tried to stay focused on real issues while others strayed off mixing apples and oranges.

To clarify with examples: Take a modern Browning O/U, labeled factory Hunter with 3" chambers, and 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.

Opposed to a modern Browning O/U, labeled Sporting Clays, with 2&3/4" chambers, 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.

Besides the obvious weight difference, is there a difference in the top and bottom barrels point of impact? The Hunter verses Sporting given the same shooter holding both guns.

This issue pertains to Perazzi, Beretta, Guerini, CZ, Rizzini, and others that offer both.
Some say you can't use a hunter for sporting clays or 5-stand, you probably already know my answer to that, because sporting clays mimics hunting.

So, go ahead and give this your best shot! Please no sarcasm or hurtful remarks.
I'm going to print the answers and post at my clubs.




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm
Posts: 22951
Quote:
Besides the obvious weight difference, is there a difference in the top and bottom barrels point of impact? The Hunter verses Sporting given the same shooter holding both guns.

This issue pertains to Perazzi, Beretta, Guerini, CZ, Rizzini, and others that offer both.
Some say you can't use a hunter for sporting clays or 5-stand, you probably already know my answer to that, because sporting clays mimics hunting.


There MIGHT be a difference - depending on brand as to whether a sporting model might shoot a little higher versus flatter for a field gun - that would apply across the brands you mentioned. TYPICALLY- but not always - the weight difference is the factor

_________________
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory, Aldo Gucci

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:27 am
Posts: 8185
Location: Silicon Valley
Weight and robustness. Generally speaking, a hunting gun is designed to be carried a lot and shot a little. By contrast a target gun is designed to be shot a lot and carried a little...

Any good quality 2 barreled gun should have both barrels shooting to very close POI's at 30 yards, say to within 3 inches of each other. (Not withstanding the fact there may be a specific desire to have them at decidedly different POI's; for example one might want a unique set-up for trap doubles or flyers.)

_________________
Jack
NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:20 pm
Posts: 532
Location: Mississippi
As you noted, weight also stock dimensions including drop, thinner, no palm swell, width of rib, auto safety, flush chokes . . .typically.

Usually, hard to find 32” barrels on a field gun.


Last edited by Scardog7 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm
Posts: 5986
One thing many overlook is the fact that in most cases (uplands), birds start slower and accelerate, targets are the opposite.

My primary upland gun is a light 12 ga, 6lbs, 10 oz. my primary target gun is 9lbs. Other than dove and waterfowl hunting, I generally don’t come close to the swing speed and distance I do shooting clays.

I’d rather tackle the uplands with my clay-blaminator though, than shoot a three day tournament with a sub 7lb, neutral balanced upland gun.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 7677
Location: Central ND
^^^^^^Totally agree^^^^^^

_________________
Mark

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 am
Posts: 1356
Yep for me it's about weight eating recoil and smoothing the swing for planned shots in clays.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:03 pm
Posts: 88
Weight, weight, weight.

Sporters tend to have beefier stock dimensions (buttstock and fore end), thicker recoil pads, wider ribs, oftentimes longer barrels. Unless you are standing on a peg for driven birds, the uplands rough shooting gun must be carried 95% of the time and shot 5% of the time.

Are they patterned (collimated) differently? Harder to say. It used to be that field guns were ideally regulated at 50/50 and sporters tended to be more like 60/40.

Field guns tend to come with more drop in the stock while target guns always seemed to be higher combed to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:01 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:04 am
Posts: 436
Hunting gun = carried a lot shot a little. Sporting Gun= shot a lot carried a little.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:44 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm
Posts: 210
simslax wrote:
Weight, weight, weight.

Sporters tend to have beefier stock dimensions (buttstock and fore end), thicker recoil pads, wider ribs, oftentimes longer barrels. Unless you are standing on a peg for driven birds, the uplands rough shooting gun must be carried 95% of the time and shot 5% of the time.

Are they patterned (collimated) differently? Harder to say. It used to be that field guns were ideally regulated at 50/50 and sporters tended to be more like 60/40.

Field guns tend to come with more drop in the stock while target guns always seemed to be higher combed to me.


Yes, I completely agree with this post and I will print this one for the club.
Scatergun


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am
Posts: 777
hunting gun is designed to be carried alot and shot very little
sporting gun is designed to be shot a ton and carried very little

balance and weight and barrels and overall designs and thought that goes into both verticals of guns is totally market driven by needs and wants.

However I do take my A400 xcel to the duck blind 32" barrel gets some goofy looks from guys, but that's ok, at the end of the day the bird count usually tips in my favor.

_________________
Muller Mafia
NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27050
Location: Plainfield, IL
Scatergun71 wrote:
I was trying to avoid a club argument about hunting shotguns versus sporting shotguns. Some tried to stay focused on real issues while others strayed off mixing apples and oranges.

To clarify with examples: Take a modern Browning O/U, labeled factory Hunter with 3" chambers, and 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.

Opposed to a modern Browning O/U, labeled Sporting Clays, with 2&3/4" chambers, 30" back bored barrels, invector plus chokes, LOP is not an issue.



In Browning's case, it is a largely a label. https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... rting.html

Both have 3 inch chambers, the same point of impact, the same actions, the same barrels. You get porting and a couple of extra choke tubes along with an adjustable trigger shoe.

Image

Image

The "hunting model" is a far better-looking gun to my eyes.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hunting guns verses sporting guns.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm
Posts: 210
I have to completely agree with Mr. Wakeman on this one.
The wood looks three times better on the hunter than the sporting.
Who needs an ajustible trigger to hit a pheasant, duck, or clay target.
Everyone I know absolutely hates ported guns, especially on trap, 5-stand, and skeet fields.
My sporting gun weighs 8lb. 2oz. and I rigged a three-wheel stroller up to walk a Sporting course.
I just can't carry that lead pipe and a bag of shells walking 1.3 miles with 13 or 14 stations.
Next year I will need a golf cart because I'm getting older and my gun ain't getting any lighter.
Mike




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: avogunner, Bing [Bot], cowpoke, DavidRamey, Dmc57, dpalmer1969, gn4hir, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Harsa, jandat, jstanfield103, Majestic-12 [Bot], Sans Peur


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice