ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looping rabbit target rule question
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:47 am 
Limited Edition

We're throwing a double rabbit at my club. 1 on ground, one loops up anywhere from 6-20ft depending on how we set it (both from same machine). My question is...if you shoot the grounder first and the looper hits the ground, can it still be taken if it's still rolling? And what is the ruling if it breaks upon impacting the ground (I'm assuming it's lost then). Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Looping rabbit target rule question
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DooFighter wrote:
We're throwing a double rabbit at my club. 1 on ground, one loops up anywhere from 6-20ft depending on how we set it (both from same machine). My question is...if you shoot the grounder first and the looper hits the ground, can it still be taken if it's still rolling? And what is the ruling if it breaks upon impacting the ground (I'm assuming it's lost then). Thanks!

It seems that would be an issue that the club should decide on beforehand and make the rule clear BEFORE the tournament is held. In fact, it would be a good idea to post the "Ground Rules" at that station so that everyone shooting the station knows how it is to be scored before they shoot it.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:13 am 
Crown Grade

My opinion is that once the airborne rabbit gets to the ground unbroken, it is lost no matter if it rolls visibly for 50 yards after or breaks from ground contact.

It would probably be helpful if the club had a posting at the station explaining that. From a fairness standpoint, I don't think any other approach makes sense. If the ground breaks it on impact, it doesn't warrant a reshoot because it wasn't ever intended to be shot on the ground. by bad luck, one shooter could have all of them break on impact and the next shooter have them all roll out.

Not a big deal for casual fun shoot clays but for a competition set, it would need to be clear what the clubs intent was and the outcome if the flying rabbit made it to the ground before the shooter fired.

This subject has come up here before and i cannot remember if any of the rules gurus like Dr Mike weighed in. I believe this is a discretionary situation the target setter would be in control of.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:45 am 
Limited Edition

I see. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:02 am 
Diamond Grade

Posted by the station, I've seen if a rabbit target goes beyond a point (marked), it's a lost target if not broken before....This case if it hits the ground..If so marked...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not recall it being spelled out anywhere in the rules, but general consensus among FITASC refs I've had this discussion with is as follows: Unless it's specified by the shoot host that the rabbit has to be taken before it hits the ground, a rabbit on the ground and still upright is a legal target.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:41 am 
Presentation Grade

JacksBack wrote:
I do not recall it being spelled out anywhere in the rules, but general consensus among FITASC refs I've had this discussion with is as follows: Unless it's specified by the shoot host that the rabbit has to be taken before it hits the ground, a rabbit on the ground and still upright is a legal target.

That’s how I’ve seen it. But, the ref should state that in advance. The target setter has to have clear instruction to the refs.

Typically, if the ref says it can be taken in the air or on the ground, then, if it hits the ground and breaks, it is a no bird. Obviously, when that’s the case, the club wants to minimize no birds so the trajectory is flatter than when the ref says that it has to be taken in the air.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 am 
Diamond Grade

A station in a local tournament once had a rabbit target which ran along a mat on the ground like many do, but then, went up an Evil Kenieval type ramp and was launched into the air.

The puller/scorer told each squad before the show pairs, and before the first shooter, that the rabbit could not be taken before the ramp. Simple common sense. It was intended to be taken in the air. I'll bet she got tired of the announcement by the end of the day.

It was a very fun station by the way. A friend had trouble with the rabbit. I suggested he think of it as a chandele, which it basically did become after becoming airborne. It took me the first miss to adjust to that myself, but I killed the last two of the three.

I've never seen a trampoline target, but I imagine it's a similar situation. With likely more inconsistency and variety of trajectory off or the trampoline than the ramp provided.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

If I had such a target on a stand or parcour and it wasn’t already spelled out, I’d immediately get ahold of the target setter to find out what the plan was.

Without guidance, I’d say that if it was airborne off the trap, then it has to be taken in the air. If it rolls before going airborne, anything goes before it flops over and dies of natural causes. “Anything goes” targets are great fun, but are the worst sort in competitions - far too much variation, complaining, hard feelings.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Grouse Gunner,

We have a trampoline target set at our club. Usually the targets evolve as looping crossers of different heights, looping quartering (either away or at you), or some type of springing teal. It is shot as A single, B single, and AB true. The clays launch about 2-5 feet off the ground with good velocity, fly about 30-50 feet and hit the trampoline. They are about as consistent as most other stations. Our setter keeps them from being high in the wind because they are showing dome or belly. It is a fun set.

JB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:41 pm 
Crown Grade

DrMike wrote:
If I had such a target on a stand or parcour and it wasn’t already spelled out, I’d immediately get ahold of the target setter to find out what the plan was.

Without guidance, I’d say that if it was airborne off the trap, then it has to be taken in the air. If it rolls before going airborne, anything goes before it flops over and dies of natural causes. “Anything goes” targets are great fun, but are the worst sort in competitions - far too much variation, complaining, hard feelings.

I have not encountered a pair shooting sporting where this would come into play but as long as the rules of engagement are clearly spelled out, at least in my mind it should be no problem. I think it is cleanest if the option of shooting it when it returns to the ground is eliminated. If it isn't that way then so be it.

Though I am not anti SYO event and shoot many of them cause that is what is offered, I would not want a pair thrown like this unless the event was run using dedicated scorers and a station like this would require the scorer judge to be very experienced and a great communicator and one that would not put up with the whining that could definitely be coming his / her way.

Now do this type of thing when it is just casual none competition stuff, shoot it all kinds of ways and have some fun.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The best way to fix that is don't set stupid targets like that. :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:20 pm 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
The best way to fix that is don't set stupid targets like that. :lol:

Yes. And I don’t think many target setters would. Not much good comes from it {hs#

NSCA 602398

Last edited by dpe2002 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:31 pm 
Crown Grade

A lot will also depend on how high; I saw one pair where the rabbit was screaming about 3-4' off the ground off the trap to clear an obstacle before hitting the ground and rolling; the only way to safely and quickly hit it was on the ground. IF the intent was to have it attempted in the air, then something like a few hay bales where it encounters the ground to prevent shots at it on the ground would suffice with no trapper explanation necessary.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

In a shoot I always get clarification if a rabbit is thrown in the air is it scored as a “bird” or as a rabbit. Based on that question, either answer reverts to the rule book. Obviously, if the club has other requirements then they would apply as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

ALL rabbits start in the air - to one degree or another. None have ground contact immediately when leaving the arm.

As stated several times, the rule the club wants to use should be stated clearly on the station.

May the wind blow softly on your face during all your travels and never blow so hard as to rip your hair out in big clumps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stupid targets cause you can’t saddle up and ride them. You just have to shoot them. And it takes you out of your comfort zone!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:00 am 
Tournament Grade

JacksBack wrote:

EXACTLY RIGHT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:00 am 
Presentation Grade

Had an incoming rabbit at a shoot this weekend and the trappper let us know it had to be shot before it passed an orange cone or it was out of play.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:41 am 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
A lot will also depend on how high; I saw one pair where the rabbit was screaming about 3-4' off the ground off the trap to clear an obstacle before hitting the ground and rolling; the only way to safely and quickly hit it was on the ground. IF the intent was to have it attempted in the air, then something like a few hay bales where it encounters the ground to prevent shots at it on the ground would suffice with no trapper explanation necessary.

This makes a lot of sense. Or even a sheet of plywood resting against a couple of t posts with a few cinder blocks behind it. That way once the rabbit disappears it will be smashed behind the plywood hitting the cinder blocks with no possibility of further engagement by the shooter.