ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video - ASC Red Course Houston, TX
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2072gP-Rv8

I get out about once a year to shoot sporting clays. This year, I picked one of the hottest days of the year. I look like a walking griddle mark now.

Anyways, I noticed how much I use my hands to develop lead. Is using your hands to develop lead a bad thing? Opinions?

Also, I thought the light load crowd would like to see some long-ish birds busted with 3/4 oz. There's a station in there for you.

Cylinder chokes and 9's

Post subject: Re: Video - ASC Red Course Houston, TX
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:06 pm 
Crown Grade

SirSkeetsALot wrote:

I get out about once a year to shoot sporting clays. This year, I picked one of the hottest days of the year. I look like a walking griddle mark now.

Anyways, I noticed how much I use my hands to develop lead. Is using your hands to develop lead a bad thing? Opinions?

Also, I thought the light load crowd would like to see some long-ish birds busted with 3/4 oz. There's a station in there for you.

Yep, 3/4 oz. with some choke and no. 8 shot when you really want to practice hard - good for you. Believe I saw you out there and yes, real hot. As you turned the corner back to the west at the chain link fence, that looping quartering all black incomer was tough on me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

4th. down wrote:
SirSkeetsALot wrote:

Yep, 3/4 oz. with some choke and no. 8 shot when you really want to practice hard - good for you. Believe I saw you out there and yes, real hot. As you turned the corner back to the west at the chain link fence, that looping quartering all black incomer was tough on me.

I thought that was you. I think the last time I saw you was at the 2015 Brister Memorial. If not that, it was some shoot at Westside. I used to squad with Kaz and Brian a lot back then and you could find me most days over at the ASC 5-stand shooting corners. I haven't shot much since then.

Yes, that one over by the fence was tough business! :shock:

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:12 am 
Crown Grade

SirSkeetsALot wrote:
4th. down wrote:
SirSkeetsALot wrote:

I thought that was you. I think the last time I saw you was at the 2015 Brister Memorial. If not that, it was some shoot at Westside. I used to squad with Kaz and Brian a lot back then and you could find me most days over at the ASC 5-stand shooting corners. I haven't shot much since then.

Yes, that one over by the fence was tough business! :shock:

We've missed you and I know Brian has. Those days of yesteryear at 5 stand was top of the line with some top of the line shooters. I don't remember you shooting low gun then, but way to pop with the hot 3/4 oz. load. With some choke, if you're on it, all smoke. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:32 am 
Presentation Grade

4th. down wrote:
We've missed you and I know Brian has. Those days of yesteryear at 5 stand was top of the line with some top of the line shooters. I don't remember you shooting low gun then, but way to pop with the hot 3/4 oz. load. With some choke, if you're on it, all smoke. :wink:

I don’t know about now, but back then you could be practicing at 5-stand and a National or World Champ might just show up and shoot a round with you. The experience was invaluable. I picked up a lot shooting with Kaz, Eli, and Brian. I don’t know how involved Brian is now. I know he punched up to M after I left. I’m going to get in touch with him.

Soft mount is almost always my setup. The low mount in the video is when I was up first and didn’t know where they were coming from so I just did MMS. I practiced low mount a lot when I first started. Now I only use it for targets that take a long time to develop.

Those 3/4 oz loads through a full will break any target that I saw on the red course. I used them for two stations but they were the stations with the farthest break points.

Hope to see you out there soon.

Matt

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:17 pm 
Crown Grade

SirSkeetsALot wrote:
4th. down wrote:

I don’t know about now, but back then you could be practicing at 5-stand and a National or World Champ might just show up and shoot a round with you. The experience was invaluable. I picked up a lot shooting with Kaz, Eli, and Brian. I don’t know how involved Brian is now. I know he punched up to M after I left. I’m going to get in touch with him.

Soft mount is almost always my setup. The low mount in the video is when I was up first and didn’t know where they were coming from so I just did MMS. I practiced low mount a lot when I first started. Now I only use it for targets that take a long time to develop.

Those 3/4 oz loads through a full will break any target that I saw on the red course. I used them for two stations but they were the stations with the farthest break points.

Hope to see you out there soon.

Matt

Visited with Brian today at Westside and told him that I had seen you - he said he misses you, come out and shoot.

ASC 5 Stand in the days of old - Arrighi, Blackwell, Super Dave, Tom, Byron, Darrington, You, Brian, Adkinson, Kaz, Walraven, Honefinger, Faison, and on and on.

Stanley