ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gebben Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had a 2 hour lesson yesterday with Gebben Miles. I don't know how much it will help my shooting, but at a minimum, it was very inspirational.
Over the past two years arthritis has taken its toll on me, I did not mention this to Gebben, I just wanted to learn from a pro. It seems he was okay with my stance, mount and movement, first time a coach hasn't tried to change everything I do. At the end of the lesson, I was pain free, very rare for me.
While I feel he gave me some very good pointers, things to work on, I got much more out of it than that.
While we all know Gebben is a top notch shooter, he is also a top notch human being and an excellent coach. His non-assuming way has re-lit my passion to go out and do it. I now know I can shoot pain free, and my approach is okay with a top shooter.

Just wanted to send my thanks, so Gebben, if you read these pages...

Thank you,
C. Hansen
LA Clays
11-JULY-2020
11:15 ~ 1:15

Post subject: Re: Gebben Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Wow, glad to hear that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Very nice. I do have a question of the OP. You said Gebben didn't change what you were doing. That would suggest you were shooting according to your normal way. Yet you seem surprised to have been pain free at the end of the session. If Gebben didn't change anything about your techique, what did you do differently on your own to bring that about?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:57 am 
Crown Grade

Gebben is special!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

moishepipick wrote:
Very nice. I do have a question of the OP. You said Gebben didn't change what you were doing. That would suggest you were shooting according to your normal way. Yet you seem surprised to have been pain free at the end of the session. If Gebben didn't change anything about your techique, what did you do differently on your own to bring that about?

I think there are several factors at play here:
1st, every other coach I have gone to has tried to change the way I shoot, Gebben didn't. I think the changes other coaches wanted me to try caused pain at the end of the day. And then when I try to go out and practice what they preach, then at the end of the day, pain.
2nd, Gebben gave ways to improve what I was doing, not change it. I think this was a much more relaxed way to shoot, no tension involved. He's very relaxed and calm, I think that helped a lot.
3rd, He has a way about him that just made me feel relaxed from the minute I met him. Heck, we were even joking around about one of his techniques in "Quiet Dust Shooting"
4th, This has nothing to do with Gebben, and could be a big factor. With this covid thing and everything out here being shutdown, I haven't shot in 4 ~ 5 months.

But no matter what the reasons, I came away from the lesson with great respect for the man....and no pain!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:13 am 
Presentation Grade

Gebben is a class act. I squadded with him at a U.S. Open and the way he treated trappers and all that came up to say hello (which was a constant distraction) was professional, respectful, polite, and thankful. I learned a lot from him as to how to best conduct yourself in the heat of competition.

He and Joe Fanizzi should be all a sponsor could ever dream to have represent them.