ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The 2020 California State Shoot is cancelled !!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Copy and paste:

To our fellow sportsmen and sportswomen,

We write this letter to inform you of the cancelation of the 2020 California State Shoot at Raahauge’s Shooting Enterprises with an incredibly heavy heart. The Raahauge Family and employees have dedicated countless hours and spent a significant amount of money over this past last year to bring you this event.

Unfortunately, due to the California Sporting Clays Association’s (CSCA) inability to both recognize and be flexible in these unprecedented times, no exception will be given to the use of trapper/scorers during this competition. To that end, we will be unable to move forward with a sanctioned California State Shoot.

The Raahauge Family has looked forward to hosting this premier event for over the past year, as we know it is both an honor and a great responsibility to ensure both a fair and enjoyable competition; as such, we have always held ourselves to the highest standard in preparation for the CSCA State Championship. In the lead up to the original April date, we improved our facilities; worked to ensure our volunteers were properly trained to pull and score keep; purchased all trophies and prizes; and worked to ensure all elements of the event were up to your expectations. In short, we were ready. To welcome you into our home. To celebrate your victories. We were ready. Then Covid-19 hit.

With the knowledge of how important this event is to our California firearm family; we delayed the event until September. Even with the California Governor shutting down our state in response to the global pandemic, the Raahauge Family worked to ensure you would have the Championship you deserved, regardless of the delay.

We are ready to host you in September, the CSCA Board, however, is not ready or willing to make a singular exception that would make this delayed event possible. As you know, we previously contacted and surveyed the pre-registered shooters regarding your comfort with the event proceeding without pullers. We did not make this inquiry lightly.

Our volunteers for pullers have stepped back from participating with our September event, this reality combined with Covid-19 still running rampant, and the foresight to assume some form of gathering limitation may be put in place, we wanted to get your opinion. With a majority of you responding to our inquiry, over 50% of you agreed to go forward without pullers, but your CSCA Board did not afford us ample time to submit the results of the survey we sent out to you shooters before informing us that a shoot would not be sanctioned without pullers.

We are frustrated that we have no alternative, but to cancel. We are frustrated that the CSCA Board will not cancel the event themselves, but instead place that responsibility on us, despite it being a result of their indecisiveness. We are frustrated that a multi-year dream to host the California Championship has come to this conclusion due to a pandemic. Like many of you, this is not how we envisioned our 2020 going.

Best Regards,

The Raahauge Family and Staff

Post subject: Re: The 2020 California State Shoot is cancelled !!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 pm 
Crown Grade

That really sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:58 am 
Crown Grade

A state shoot that's score your own is insane. Just asking for trouble. You would think the health of everyone would be the main concern. Not just the trappers. How much would they have reduced the prices without trappers? Don't blame the trappers and use them as an excuse. Rename it the California State Fun Shoot. If Covid is running rampant as they say in the statement, this should be an easy decision without placing blame elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:12 am 
Diamond Grade

I hear Ben Husthwaite has a lot of time on his hands now. Maybe he could come over and assist with scoring! :D

I see both sides of this. A club that spent a lot of time trying to host a good competition and an association that wants integrity in the outcome.

I think it could be done as SYO, but would require preassigned squads of the top 10 or so in each class that then would be broken into assigned groups minimizing buddy/friends in same group. When you are scoring the guy likely to beat you for class winner, not much chance for cheating.

Only those self voluntary declared into or assigned a preassigned squad eligible to win classes or HOA.

Or if you don’t like that, a few score keepers that move with the top groups to determine class winners with everyone else shooting for punches but no class wins.

But I don’t shoot registered, so WTF do I know. But my club breaks the top shooters up to score each other as stated when we have the 100 bird shoot off to determine winners and cash prizes. Seems to work there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

A state 200 bird championship over 2 days with prize money isn't a fun shoot. The health and well being of all involved should be the priority. The statement say's Covid is running rampant in Califirnia. What don't you understand or refuse to recognize? And having different rules for certain shooters is silly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:06 am 
Diamond Grade

The morning flight shooters score the afternoon flight and vice versa. Everybody scores a stand for an hour. If you really have to shoot it would work.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

The KS State Shoot is still a go; it almost certainly should not be. Guidelines notwithstanding, people will ignore social distancing, and avoidable COVID transmission will result. Those preventable cases may or may not be severe, and there may be or may not be associated mortality. It's a personal decision, but I'm not getting any closer to the event than the results on Winscore, and I will avoid anyone who attended for at least three weeks following.

Under the circumstances, the CA organizers' decision seems prudent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

The trappers were thrown under a bus. The club had to make a tough decision then blamed others for it. The state association probably got sound legal advice being it was the sanctioning body. And those waivers you sign slow down lawsuits, it doesn't stop them. If Covid is running rampant as they state how could they even have consider holding a shoot? Our state shoot comes up in September, moved from June. If things stay the same or worsen I won't go. I don't need to shoot that bad. This will get worse the closer we get to the election.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
The morning flight shooters score the afternoon flight and vice versa. Everybody scores a stand for an hour. If you really have to shoot it would work.

Steve

Good luck with that. Who wants to spend all day in the field looking at targets and shoot other events? The suggestion just increases exposure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

CA has already cancelled the Rose Parade on 1 January!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:55 am 
Diamond Grade

lt0026 wrote:
YevetS wrote:

Steve

Good luck with that. Who wants to spend all day in the field looking at targets and shoot other events? The suggestion just increases exposure.

I said ONE hour scoring, thats hardly all day. Yes, some other "side" events might have to be canceled. Tough times lead to tough decisions. How bad do they want their state shoot and what lengths are they whiling to go to for it??

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:

And college conferences will announce no CFB this fall. Just a matter of time. If you don't have students in class how can you have them playing sports?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
lt0026 wrote:
YevetS wrote:

Steve

I said ONE hour scoring, thats hardly all day. Yes, some other "side" events might have to be canceled. Tough times lead to tough decisions. How bad do they want their state shoot and what lengths are they whiling to go to for it??

Steve

More time in the field increases exposure. What part of running rampant don't you understand?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

I don't have a frog in this fight, but I will say Raahauge's has made a TON of improvements to the range, and it shows.

If you haven't been there in a while, you really should check it out.

My offer to buy lunch for any Arizona shooters still stands.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 am 
Crown Grade

If they made improvements in anticipation of holding a state shoot let them have it next year. Those improvements will probably last long beyond a state shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:04 pm 
Limited Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fhGV1LxeKQ

Do you really expect to have a state shoot next year if Trump loses?
Or have access to ammunition and firearms?
Have an economy or a job to support yourself?

Take back your state by removing Pelosi, Newsom, Feinstein, etc. by whatever means are necessary.
Or remain a sheep being led to slaughter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

When CRaPA asked me to VOLUNTEER to be a trapper, while other events pay their trappers in targets, I knew this would be an issue.

(California Rifle and Pistol Assn)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:21 pm 
Crown Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
When CRaPA asked me to VOLUNTEER to be a trapper, while other events pay their trappers in targets, I knew this would be an issue.

(California Rifle and Pistol Assn)

As it should be. First Responders don't wish to be exposed, but have no choice. Why would any right minded person expose themselves attending for any purpose?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oyeme wrote:

At this point, I believe there is a 50/50 chance the 2021 shooting season will be greatly affected as well, maybe not to 2020 levels, but it will be many years until we get back to 2019-style shooting.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Skeet_Man wrote:
oyeme wrote:

At this point, I believe there is a 50/50 chance the 2021 shooting season will be greatly affected as well, maybe not to 2020 levels, but it will be many years until we get back to 2019-style shooting.

Yes, Scheduled European rotation with designated scorer/trapper will help at smaller shoots.