ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gotta say i love FITASC over regular sporting.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:17 pm 
Crown Grade

JonnyRocket wrote:
Where else can you shoot 500 FITASC targets in 4 days?

At most of Joe Cantey's larger shoots! Hermitage Farm in Camden, SC is the epicenter of FITASC and, as V.P. of FITASC worldwide, Joe has a strong reputation for setting great and fair targets.

Be on the lookout for his Palmetto Cup or any of the FITASC qualifier shoots in the spring or fall.

Demi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

just looked and can't find any events scheduled there. At just under 8 hours it'd be quite a drive but for a big enough event i might do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

The one round of FITASC I've shot, I really enjoyed. Even though it was pouring rain and cold as heck. I look forward to doing more of it when the plague clears up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:23 pm 
Limited Edition

JonnyRocket wrote:
I will drive a couple hours, give or take, for a registered sporting shoot, but I will travel almost anywhere for 200 birds of competitive FITASC if my schedule can accommodate. I consider it the pinnacle of all target shooting. One of my favorite shoots of the year is the Promatic 500 at Northbrook. Where else can you shoot 500 FITASC targets in 4 days?

{hs# The 500 generally has decent weather and always is entertaining/challenging.
You get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
It's the costs of ref's that deter local clubs in having the shoots.

For me , FITASC is the top of the top.

For YOU, I would have guessed ZZ or pigeons, same for Jacks Back

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
sera wrote:

I can only afford to shoot flyers maybe once per year -- I'm not good enough to regularly finish in the money. ZZ's is also relatively expensive to shoot, around here runs roughly $2/target. But I can afford that so do it more often. The bigger nit for me, is I believe shooting ZZ's (and flyers) actually impairs the advancement of my sporting game somewhat...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like Jack , my chances to shoot ZZ's and pigeons is limited. But , when FITASC is offered I sign up and shoot, especially 28g.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:18 am 
Limited Edition

JacksBack wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
sera wrote:

I can only afford to shoot flyers maybe once per year -- I'm not good enough to regularly finish in the money. ZZ's is also relatively expensive to shoot, around here runs roughly $2/target. But I can afford that so do it more often. The bigger nit for me, is I believe shooting ZZ's (and flyers) actually impairs the advancement of my sporting game somewhat...

Funny you say that, I have been shooting Helice weekly for the last 2 months and my sporting scores have went down.
Don't know if it's related or I'm just in a rut.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jusanothajoe wrote:
Funny you say that, I have been shooting Helice weekly for the last 2 months and my sporting scores have went down.

The "coiled viper" reactive move I make on the ZZ or flyer is significantly different from how I engage most clay presentations. While being able to attack a clay is a good skill, not all sporting targets require it -- I think for me that is where the disconnect occured... I've had to force myself to slow way down on clays and consciously look for the best break-point. For whatever reason that has been an exceedingly difficult aspect of the sporting game for me to re-acquire.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 pm 
Limited Edition

JacksBack wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:

The "coiled viper" reactive move I make on the ZZ or flyer is significantly different from how I engage most clay presentations. While being able to attack a clay is a good skill, not all sporting targets require it -- I think for me that is where the disconnect occured... I've had to force myself to slow way down on clays and consciously look for the best break-point. For whatever reason that has been an exceedingly difficult aspect of the sporting game for me to re-acquire.

I have always shot clays low gun, and I shoot Helice pre-mounted, I think that may be what is causing a problem with me ? Could just be my ADD kicking in also :roll:
Would love to try the flyers one day, but man it's expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

So hard to find info about flyers i guess because the anti types get frothy mouthed over it. i'd definitely give it a shot though. what's the typical cost?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 am 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
So hard to find info about flyers i guess because the anti types get frothy mouthed over it. i'd definitely give it a shot though. what's the typical cost?

Others that have participated could tell you more accurately, but I was told to figure on at least $1K a day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:40 am 
Diamond Grade

On second thought I’m not sure flyers are the thing for me!

For that kinda dough I think I’d rather do a driven shoot in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jusanothajoe wrote:
birdhunter39 wrote:

Others that have participated could tell you more accurately, but I was told to figure on at least $1K a day.

Plus side bets :wink:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Ditto to the Fiocchi 500 that Northbrook throws..........that event is legendary.

I like Fitasc the most, and actually for the North Central Regional, I'm not shooting the main, Fitasc and side events for this guy, super sporting five stand.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Think of shooting flyers the same as buying a Ferrari, Bentley or Rolls... (If you have to ask how much one costs, you probably can't afford it.)

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
jusanothajoe wrote:

Very interesting, Jack.

I had thought that ZZs was helping my sporting game, but after two different sessions with Marty Fischer last Wednesday and Saturday, we spent considerable time cleaning up bad habits that I acquired doing so.

One of the great things about having the same instructor on a regular basis for nearly 25 years is that they know more about your shooting than you do. Marty caught onto this in about 10 minutes.

Still love shooting ZZs, however. Not going to give that up. Just got to watch out for certain things when going back and forth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

FITASC is definitely my favorite. It’s really the best test of wingshooting skills IMO. This is sacrilegious but sporting has gotten to be like trap to me. Same shots over and over...and don’t miss!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:44 pm 
Crown Grade

winmod21 wrote:
FITASC is definitely my favorite. It’s really the best test of wingshooting skills IMO. This is sacrilegious but sporting has gotten to be like trap to me. Same shots over and over...and don’t miss!

I agree; I still like it, but not as much when I first started. I still see way too many 4 and 5 pair stations; without terrain here in FL/S.GA to work with, I am also starting to see a lot of basically the same presentation - some form of quartering away or 90degree crosser. I understand the club guys views though too. Shooters have come to expect good scores, even if their skills aren't quite what they used to be. They don't mind having 1, maybe 2 hard stations, but seem to want the rest to be cupcakes. It seems to be getting harder for the good setters to try and please everyone's expectations.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:22 pm 
Crown Grade

winmod21 wrote:

AJ Smith said exactly that quite a few years ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next