ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anticipating the target
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 am 
Field Grade

I've heard a little about this, do people begin moving the gun the moment they say pull? Or does it mean something else? It was a chapter in a book by Schindler that I read. Really good book.

Post subject: Re: anticipating the target
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some shooters probably move the gun when they call pull, but it is a bad habit. You can't match gun speed to target speed if you move before you see the target.

It is more prevalent in skeet, but it isn't correct for any target presentation......unless you like to hear 'lost' a lot.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:16 am 
Presentation Grade

The thing to avoid is moving the gun backwards as you look towards the trap and call pull. Keep your gun steady at the hold point while you look back towards the trap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:27 am 
Crown Grade

Not something I like to do but occasionally have to on a very fast target in a tight window. It is critical to be on the target line or the outcome is going to be ugly

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:29 am 
Limited Edition

“Move on the flash” Dan Carlisle

DL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:07 am 
Presentation Grade

it all depends on the target and what that target is doing, and what the move the mount and shot look like, and how much time I have on the target.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Two schools of thought on it. Some start their move on the call -- Cherry says he does but doesn't commit until he sees the target. That kind of control seems to me like it probably took him a while to perfect. Ash says he starts his move as he calls when he needs to challenge a target, but doesn't use the tactic for every target. Others start their move on the flash, a-la Carlisle and AM.

In FITASC you are not allowed to move your gun until you see the target, but no rule against it in sporting or 5-stand. (Don't know about AFS.) I shoot enough FITASC and am too limited in IQ to have two different move methodologies to try and perfect, so I'm in the move-on-the-flash camp since it's legal in both games. But then perhaps I'm also missing out on a good tactic...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Move on the flash. To stay loose in the gun hold position I open and close my grip on the forend.

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 am 
Crown Grade

I think it can also mean moving your eyes.

I subscribed to the quiet eye technique, but sometimes my eyes start searching for the target as I call pull, usually results in a lost target. Really guilty of this on rabbit targets.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:05 am 
Presentation Grade

I believe Gebbin Miles defines anticipation as "taking your foot off the brake". In other words, when you first see the flash begin a slow move as you would at a stop light just as the light turns green.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 am 
Diamond Grade

Good practice when shooting, when I shoot by myself, stations has a timer to get ready for the shot. I don't move until target is thrown..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:05 am 
Presentation Grade

When the trap is visible, I personally look at the target coming off of the arm and look for detail as soon as humanly possible. If it’s close, I want to see rings, if it’s not, I am looking for anything that catches my eye, like reflection from the sun off of the target.

If you don’t start moving your gun when the target is in it’s flight path, then the later you start, the less time you have to 1) cut the bird off comfortably and insert and 2) match speed of the target and sync up with it.

The later you start that process, the less time you have, period. Sometimes you have more time and sometimes you do not. As a standard practice, your eyes should be hungry for detail and will tell the hands what to do, not the other way around, at least for those shooting at a high level. In the beginning, you have to teach the hands what to do first, and then the eyes.

No absolutes. Some high level shooters absolutely do not look directly at the trap and look beyond it. Each shooter needs to find what works for them and practice it and bring it with you on game day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

1958jr wrote:
The thing to avoid is moving the gun backwards as you look towards the trap and call pull. Keep your gun steady at the hold point while you look back towards the trap.

This was one thing my ShotKam videos revealed to me—moving the gun before the call or not being precise in holdi g the gun at the hold point along the flight path. I’d see it jump around or start well below the target, go up vertically then add a lot of gun speed to catch it. Surprise to me, I was more often shooting in front.