ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Here's what happened to me yesterday @ 5 stand (technique)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:02 am 
Field Grade

At a club I shoot at frequently, I went to the 5 stand for 3 rounds. I heard Carlisle say, "start the gun moving at the flash of the target," so I've been doing that. I consciously thought through each individual target as well as pairs as far as visual hold, gun hold, break point. I told myself to "see the bird" in preshot routine. I closed the gun, cleared my mind, and shot. My scores averaged for the three were well above what I normally shoot. The couple short bloopers I shot swing through as I normally do on slow targets. Then I realized that on the faster, more difficult targets I had inserted in front of the bird and used a maintained/diminishing lead technique. I normally use pull away. In this case I thought everything through except technique to be used. I just pulled the trigger when it looked right. Worked good for me on this occasion. Gonna shoot there again tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Here's what happened to me yesterday @ 5 stand (techniqu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

In other words, you were focused on seeing the target and then executing whatever technique was most natural for you without extraneous & conscious effort. You naturally did what every instruction I have ever had or read, teaches. Well done, Sir. Now do it again in the same manner. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

to repeat what I've been taught from a great shooter is "rewind the tape........do it again"

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Now do it 2500-5000x to learn using pull away as an involuntary reflex in the same manner above...

DL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:12 pm 
Crown Grade

tresamigovizslas wrote:
Now do it 2500-5000x to learn using pull away as an involuntary reflex in the same manner above...

DL

Yep, Carlisle, Matarese, and Brad Kidd, all want you to connect to the target FIRST. Get in harmony with what the tgt. is doing. If it's fast, you gotta be ready to go, if a long looping teal, maybe a little out of the gun - mimic what the tgt. is doing to get control as to speed of the tgt.

The more sporting clays changes over the years, the more your pre shot routine done every time the same, including practice, is a must to stay up with this game. The days of just playing the bird in the air are over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I’ve been trying to burn in pull away for 2-3 years now. Its not easy trying to learn a new trick after 20 years of sustained lead. I’m teaching my 13 year old daughter right now and its 90% focus on pull away which is helping me stay focused too !

DL