ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What is move mount shoot?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdhunter39 wrote:
I’ll dig it up and post a link.

Edit---found it.

https://youtu.be/91YEbthzZzU

I disagree with Ben here on one point -- maintained does in fact give you speed if you do it right: insert into lead, keep lead matched to target and by definition, you are matching the speed.

But I agree with him in that nobody really does a perfect maintained lead, so it can be a futile exercise...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And leads to bbl checking.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes it does.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

And dancing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

And flinching. God help me. I know, it's visual. Working on it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:00 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Listen Guys , surely if you can alter your scores with a pen , you can alter your opinion to suit your audience? It is all salesmanship , mostly B.S. but hey ! It's free ,so it is worth what you pay for it .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

Ben is a proponent of the "Do as I say not as I do" school.

I admire his shooting ability and he can be very personable when you meet him, but I wouldn't buy a used car from him...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 am 
Diamond Grade

to be clear i'm not advocating for the guy as i think the cheating issue had merit and is awful. but in my quest to become a better shooter i'm finding a fair amount of useful stuff in his free videos.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:46 pm 
Field Grade

If you watch Mr. Bidwells video I believe he is describing maintained lead with minimal time of the stock in the shoulder before pulling the trigger. Also stress not rushing the shot with first movement coming from the non dominant hand and starting the movement to the lead under the flight line of the bird.

It works but can be messed up by ridding the bird once the stock is on the shoulder or trying to measure the lead.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bladesmith wrote:
Isn't Churchill teaching a pull away method of shooting where as Bidwell is teaching a way to mount the gun ? Bidwell has you mounting the gun as you move it with the bird. I have both his tapes and in the first he doesn't say anything about leads. In the second he says to delay the shot long enough to make sure your line and lead is correct. I don't remembering him saying to use a maintain lead or pull away. Anyways, either you shoot a gun mounted style, or gun down where everyone is doing some sort of MMS, unless you mount, then chase after the bird. Whether you mount to the bird on the back side of it, on the center, on the front side, and then pull away, or in front of the bird the proper lead, you're still doing a basic MM and Shoot. Because I don't shoot gun up, I guess I do the MMS every time.

Move Mount Shoot specifically is a form of maintained lead. If you do it right the idea is the gun comes right to the correct lead. You're supposed to fire as it hits your cheek. If you mount at or in front of the bird and pull away well you're shooting pull away not MMS.

Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JerseyJim wrote:
It works for me on most all targets that are in the air. High Birds, , Quartering and Crossers. Now if I could learn to hit the Wabbit and that nasty Teal..... :wink:

On rabbits try mounting at the a$$ stay with it and match speed then pull through and fire at the nose. You can be deliberate. It's a good basic technique.

Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:44 am 
Limited Edition

I see Mr FITASC has not read Jacks Back 's post ?

Quote:
Move Mount Shoot specifically is a form of maintained lead. If you do it right the idea is the gun comes right to the correct lead. You're supposed to fire as it hits your cheek. If you mount at or in front of the bird and pull away well you're shooting pull away not MMS.

Or anybody's probably

summary 'it is a mounting technique only'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:17 pm 
Crown Grade

" Move Mount Shoot specifically is a form of maintained lead. If you do it right the idea is the gun comes right to the correct lead. You're supposed to fire as it hits your cheek. If you mount at or in front of the bird and pull away well you're shooting pull away not MMS. "
Really ? Isn't that a " intercept " method of shooting ? If you shoot as soon as the gun hits your cheek, where's the maintain lead ? To maintain a lead you have to stay with the bird for a bit.
On another note, Sera, whom I normally agree with, left me with a question. If you mount first, then move, wouldn't one be quite a bit behind the bird and be left shooting a swing through ? I could be wrong, but believe most move as they mount.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
" Move Mount Shoot specifically is a form of maintained lead. If you do it right the idea is the gun comes right to the correct lead. You're supposed to fire as it hits your cheek. If you mount at or in front of the bird and pull away well you're shooting pull away not MMS. "
Really ? Isn't that a " intercept " method of shooting ? If you shoot as soon as the gun hits your cheek, where's the maintain lead ? To maintain a lead you have to stay with the bird for a bit.
<snip>

If you make the connection with the bird as you begin the move, then the lead is maintained the entire time, whether you're in the gun, or not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Browning Citori Guy wrote:
I see Mr FITASC has not read Jacks Back 's post ?

Or anybody's probably

summary 'it is a mounting technique only'

It's a method of acquiring lead. You acquire the lead during the Move part. I feel like a lot of people in this thread are over complicating and using semantics to describe what has been known for decades as MMS.

Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:58 pm 
Crown Grade

‘MM&S’ is something else entirely for many ‘older’ shooters.