ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: glasses or contacts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 am 
Field Grade

I'm wondering for those who need vision correction what you have settled on for shooting? For a while I was wearing contacts along with a cheap pair of beretta shooting glasses. A few months ago I threw the beretta glasses into the trash can at the cage because they were worthless. Ever since I've just worn my regular eyeglasses when shooting. I'm looking at getting a new pair of eyeglasses with some better anti-glare lenses. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: glasses or contacts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I prefer contacts. And for shotgun, that works well. Still.

For pistol/rifle, I am having focus issues. I usually use glasses.

For anything close contacts no longer do proper correction. The doc suggested cheaters for work. Like computer screen reading. And I also can’t focus on small screen gadgets either, with contacts.

So for that, it’s all glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Life of Riley wrote:
A few months ago I threw the beretta glasses into the trash can at the cage because they were worthless.

In what way? Have you asked some folks at the Range if you could try theirs and looked through them to see what colors and how they helped(or not) for you?

delaware_export wrote:
Ever since I've just worn my regular eyeglasses when shooting

I hope they are safety rated.

I started with the cheaper glasses from Beretta and they worked ok - then tried the Ranger Edge glasses and WOW a big difference and they work best for me :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:26 am 
Crown Grade

Did someone come back under a new screen name? Look at all the posts. Sounds familiar?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:32 am 
Limited Edition

If you can comfortably wear contacts and have good vision with them, it's a great option. Not everyone falls into that category and many who could have both comfort and good vision as younger people lose that with age. This is one of many chapters in the book "It sucks to get old."

Keep in mind what people refer to as anti-glare lenses is actually anti-reflective coating on the lens. Anti reflective (AR) coating is great coating, but you have to care for it properly. It will scratch if you abuse it or don't clean properly, and then the lenses will CAUSE glare, not eliminate it.

What an AR coating does is exactly what it says, reduces reflections from the surface of the lens. In a normal plastic lens approximately 7% of the light passing thru the lens is reflected off the surface of an untreated lens. So, AR makes your eyes more visible to people looking at you when you wear your glasses and also keeps reflections down from the backside of the lens as well. This can be helpful in a night driving situation. As we age the lens inside our eye starts to change and can cause more glare, especially a night. An AR lens does nothing to change that. These are the things the optical shops won't tell you. The reason they mis-name AR as anti-glare is because no one complains of reflections. But almost everyone complains of glare, especially at night and especially as we age. My staff even does it even though I've corrected them and explained these very things.

An AR coated lens definitely has benefits and many who wear them would not like a non-AR coated lens if they went back to it. However, calling them anti-glare is misleading. These include Crizal, Teflon, and many others have their own fancy proprietary name for it.

All my glasses have AR except my shooting glasses. I often wear those in a dusty environment and the way most people scratch/mar their AR coated lenses is to get them dirty then clean them dry. You're making sandpaper, albeit a very fine grit sandpaper. You must clean them wet! This allows the cloth/lens interface to be lubricated and also the cloth to pick up that dust/dirt and remove it so you're not just moving it around. Better yet, soap and water under a sink, then wipe with a soft cloth. Now you've removed the dust/abrasive and no harm. Spray on cleaner with a soft cloth will work tho unless you have really large particle dirt on them like a mud puddle splash. No paper products preferably and no dry cleaning.

There's way more than you wanted to know about AR coated lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Contacts are better, it isn't even a fair fight.

Contacts correct your vision better than corrective lenses because contacts are on your eye, which is a better placement than a lens that is 5/8 to 3/4 inch off your eye. Even if you have astigmatism(I do), because there are great contact options available that don't kill your bank account

Contacts also allow you to use any lens of any color, cost or coating that you choose, without the added cost of a corrective lens for each lens you choose.

The one iffy part of contacts is, IF you have never worn contacts there is an adjustment period so you have to be willing to wear them when you are not shooting to get used to them. I would not advise getting contacts on Friday expecting to wear them for a shoot on Sunday if you have never worn them before.

I have worn contacts on and off for years, but when I go a couple of months without wearing them (rarely happens although I am getting close right now), I can't wear them comfortably all day. When that happens, I wear my contacts for a few hours each day and that takes care of the comfort level.

I am definitely fortunate that I do not suffer from any eye ailment that makes contacts uncomfortable. I would not wander into a place that sells contacts, until I went to my Eye Doc first.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

I went from glasses (at 40) to contacts when I started shooting more shotgun - that was almost 25 years ago; I have an astigmatism and they could never quite get the vision aspect really clear. I tried the one contact for distance and one for close up and that didn't work right. I went back to glasses for everyday and bought a pair of scrip lenses from LM to fit my RE Ranger frames using only my distance correction. Seems to be the best solution so far.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

Contacts with Pilla glasses, work great for me, and I don't have to worry about my prescription changing. it actually got better in one eye on my last visit this week.

I will say I put in eye drops one-3 times in a round because of wind and dust on the course really dry my eyes out.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.