ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun Slips/Bags
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I’m in the market for a new Gun Slip .
I’m looking for a Slip that will fit a 32 inch barreled gun with extended chokes , and is used while travelling between stands on a Sporting course .
I don’t want one with the pouches etc on the outside , just a simple slim bag with a shoulder strap . Either zip or flap closure is OK , muted colours are preferred ( I’m not a fan of bright colours)
Don’t really want a full leather one , but leather ends , straps etc are OK .
I’m thinking along the lines of a canvas one with a soft lining.
Any suggestions as to who makes a good quality- last a long time simple Gun Slip ?
What does everyone here use ?

Last edited by blaser f3 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gun Slips/Bags
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

The Blaser one is nice. Briley is similar.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I like the Briley or similar. A bit of padding, but simple, durable, and easy to clean.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've got a couple of the Boyts. I like them:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/944215587?pid=215587

https://boytharness.com/product/canvas-shotgun-sleeve/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Briley is the answer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I use the ones from africangame.com for my 32" F3 with Muller chokes.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:41 am 
Field Grade

I really like my two Brileys, but whatever you buy, get at least 54" Your gun probably won't fit in the 52" size.
Lou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really like the Krieghoff LX slip with leather flap. And it's long enough for my 16" LOP and 34" barrels ;)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Wild Hare, found on Ebay for ~$25 with a spring-loaded snap closure; has a sling for carry.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Gunslips are for the unfortunated. I hire out-of-school, unemployed coeds in bikinis to bear my shotguns and containers of my favorite libation ingrediants. Between stands she will clean my shot glass, mixes, wipes the gun and my earplugs and occasionally sprays me with insect repellant. She must smile beneficently, end her every reply with sir and never NEVER speak until spoken to. She must tolerate cigar smoke and always carry change for hundred dollar bills stuffed mysteriously in the several crannies and corners of her suit. She must walk the course behind me in my Cushman for she must love exercise as much as I enjoy observing the sheen of sweat on her golden shoulders as she hustles to keep up.

Life is good. Shoot straight. Wear your mask.

FD6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:43 pm 
Crown Grade

falcondriver6 wrote:
Gunslips are for the unfortunated. I hire out-of-school, unemployed coeds in bikinis to bear my shotguns and containers of my favorite libation ingrediants. Between stands she will clean my shot glass, mixes, wipes the gun and my earplugs and occasionally sprays me with insect repellant. She must smile beneficently, end her every reply with sir and never NEVER speak until spoken to. She must tolerate cigar smoke and always carry change for hundred dollar bills stuffed mysteriously in the several crannies and corners of her suit. She must walk the course behind me in my Cushman for she must love exercise as much as I enjoy observing the sheen of sweat on her golden shoulders as she hustles to keep up.

Life is good. Shoot straight. Wear your mask.

FD6

{hs# YOU DE MAN! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I scored one from Cabelas about 5 years or more ago for about $25 I think, it's a team USA one and the proceeds went to the shooting team. It's really nice but it finally tore at the top of the flap, I've been eye balling a new briley one, but I'm having a tough time choking down the price.

I was hoping Muller chokes would have come out with one. Otherwise Pure Gold chokes has a nice one as well.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Boyt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Croots Rosedale (Lined or unlined, With or without handles).
You can buy it direct or on eBay.
https://crootsengland.co.uk/shop/type/g ... ip-44.html

Kevin’s
https://kevinscatalog.com/collections/g ... s-gun-slip

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 am 
Presentation Grade

The ‘fox tan’ color on that croots is nice looking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:12 am 
Utility Grade

The Briley gun slip works great. My 30” Beretta 391 fits with my Comp n chokes installed and a good friend shoots a 32” 391 with Briley Helix chokes that also fit. The only criteria you mention that they fall a bit short is the muted color factor. Other than their camo version they tend to be pretty bright. Cole Gunsmithing has a sage green slip that is 54” in length that might fit your needs as well. That one also fits my 391 with the choke installed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Briley slip.

DL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:55 pm 
Field Grade

This may fall under, well everybody knows that, but just in case. Make sure you check the measurements of whatever slip you want to go with. My cz-712 only has a 30" barrel and it would not fit in most of the cases mentioned. I ended up with this one;
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas ... otgun-case
It does have pockets on the outside, but it will hold a 56" overall length shotgun. Mine has about 3 inches to spare. Well built, I got the black one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have two Boyt, green canvas, sheepskin lined with leather accents. I do not believe they make this version anymore and that is a shame. They do have a pocket that accommodates your choke tube case. I had the zipper on one separate and that was due to operator error. Sent it back to them and they replaced the zipper, no charge and a two week turn around. Everything they make is top shelf and they stand behind their product. I also have a "wild hare" as mentioned above. Sturdy, not as elegant as Boyt but does the job.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

The Wild Hare I mentioned was just a slip, not a serious soft case for transport. For transport to the stand or while in the cart gun rack, it works fine. These are the non-quilted versions, so not as thick (or as expensive)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin