ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warm up
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

At a shoot recently a couple of us wondered????
Do you shoot "warm up" targets before an event. If yes...why. If no ....why. And finally what is it you are trying to establish or accomplish if you do the warm up routine. No right or wrong answers here, just different stroke for different folks.

Post subject: Re: Warm up
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot warm-ups when they are offered. I want to be sure I'm missing the same targets as I usually am, for all the same reasons, and lose as much confidence as possible before hitting the course...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

GoldenEagle wrote:
I shoot warm-ups when they are offered. I want to be sure I'm missing the same targets as I usually am, for all the same reasons, and lose as much confidence as possible before hitting the course...

While tongue-in-cheek, I DON'T for those exact reasons.

I practice my mount a few times, drink some more water. As hot as it is now with temps in the upper 90s to 100 and heat index temps that add another 10-15, shooting 200 targets is enough; I really start to feel it about 150; I don't need to be getting tired 2-3 stations earlier due to a warm-up.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes I warm up. I do 25 curls with the gun to get some muscle movement then I shoot 20 very easy birds if possible. I want the confidence and also to just get used to the gun.

I raced bicycles at a high level and would ride for almost an hour before the race start. Move the heart through the different levels and get the body used to the movement.

There are very few sports that people don't do some type of warm up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I may purchase a 50-target card if the event is over a few days and shoot a few pair early on in the day to make sure that myself and my gear are all ready to go. No more than 5 pair a day and they are all closer targets.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I warm up in golf by hitting the range, and I do the same before a shoot. I'll shoot a few of the targets offered to get a feel for the gun and how my body is reacting that day. The one thing you don't want to do is shoot too many. Just enough that you have a nice feel for what is going to happen that day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

zxcvbnm wrote:
I may purchase a 50-target card if the event is over a few days and shoot a few pair early on in the day to make sure that myself and my gear are all ready to go. No more than 5 pair a day and they are all closer targets.

That's pretty much my approach. Most tournaments I attend offer a 25 target 5 Stand for warmup/practice. I generally try to split a ticket with someone so I can shoot just a dozen or so targets. I'm not looking to fine-tune my form or "practice" anything; I just find that standing in a shooting cage, feeling a few thunks on the shoulder, smelling some burned powder and watching a few targets fly (and break) helps get my mind and body ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:10 am 
Field Grade

Yes. I like to warm up with 2-3 simple pairs. To get my body use to the shoulder push, get my body moving and my eyes ready to look at targets. I also like to do a few warm up exercises, eat well, hydrate. I also walk the course it keeps me loose and if I don't shoot well I at least got some exercise and that keeps me positive.