ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: what can we do to support lower class registered shooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:55 am 
Crown Grade

Most shooters don't go to the big bangs because they don't have the time or money. Some won't even pay $75 for targets with no BTC, no lunch, no trophy no nothing. Half the people on a sporting course couldn't tell you who won the last Nationals or US Open.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:00 am 
Limited Edition

Solution: A magic potion to convince the also-ran (most of us) shooter it is still worth the time and money to compete long after the hope of being a "big dog" is gone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For most folks, being the TOP DOG isn't in the cards. It takes time, money, talent and most of all HARD WORK, to be a TOP DOG.

If you think you can shoot a round of sporting once a week (and call it practice) and think that you are going to be a top dog, you are delusional.

I have had the pleasure of being around an excellent master class shooter. To watch his work ethic and methods were very eye opening. No way I am willing or wealthy enough to put in that kind of time and expense.

That doesn't mean I can't have fun. It doesn't mean I can't punch my way up the ladder. It only means that I probably won't ever be a top dog......but then again that was never my intent.

If you are shooting Sporting Clays to be top dog, you are most likely to be disappointed.

If you are shooting Sporting Clays to enjoy some time with your friends at a very enjoyable and challenging event, then you won't have to convince yourself to spend the time or the money.

There is no magic needed. Only the correct attitude and expectations.

My attitude is to have (#1) some fun and my expectation is to shoot the best that I can on that day. If I shoot poorly.....I still had fun.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:
Some of the average shooters don't go to the big bangs because the targets are way over their heads. They are not ready to spend a couple grand to shot at targets they aren't ready to take on.

And some do not go simply because of the huge expense

I believe I mentioned that with “and spend a couple grand”.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh give me a break......targets are so far over their heads......you really believe that B.S.?

It is the travel money to and from, hotels, food, ammo and $1.00 and up targets that turn folks away from going to the larger shoots.

I live in CT and if I went to the Nationals you are looking at $309 for the main, $169 for FITASC, $96 for the K-Kup, $96 for the Super Sporting and $96 for the 5 Stand. These are the events that I would shoot. I don't shoot sub-gauge events. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of $1350 with ammo.

The airplane ride is about $200 right now for the round trip. (About the only thing Covid is good for.)

$100 a night hotel for 7 nights is $700.

Gonna guess at $60.00 a day for food. $420.

$2,600.00 that is a fair chunk of change to only shoot 600 targets. That is over $4.00 a target.

So no, many folks won't go because of the money.

It isn't because the targets are too difficult.

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You forgot the rental car and golf cart. I figure more like $5/target when I travel to a big bash. It’s a lot for sure. Prolly could feel real painful especially if you can’t hit very many.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jacksback,

I did forget those two items.

Yup $5.00 for sure.

If you are worried about hitting targets......... :mrgreen: I hope you are in my class!!

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Five bucks a target.....good formula Jack. Gonna save me time in the future.

Carlisle had some good points regarding this and agree. It is a shame the psca couldn't stay afloat, because that was giving the top shooters a platform to display top shooting with top competition. To expand on target setting which would trickle down. With that in play, as Spock would say...the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.....and could be more focused on.

Though we do need that high level of targets to improve the shooting game overall, I don't think that was on the mind of the C-E shooters at Northbrook last year. Need some creativity on developing that type of competition. That is whats lacking, big blast wise. A program where the top separates themselves from the masses, then a top level set...course, whatever to crown the best. Programs are all the same. Shoot 200, do a shoot off if needed. Speaking of the same programs, seems like the cost across the country are similar as well....thats another subject.

It would take a well thought program to address the needs of the game, top shooters, and the masses and how the range can put it together. As the sport, shooters, targets evolve, so must the process.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:55 am 
Crown Grade

Well put and said bdog.

Now, that’s cooking with peanut oil!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:05 am 
Crown Grade

I thought the increase in the target tax was supposed to be used for marketing and promoting the game. What are the results of that increase, besides another high paying job with benefits in SA?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bdog58 wrote:
Five bucks a target.....good formula Jack. Gonna save me time in the future.

Prolly save you some money too LOL!

bdog58 wrote:
Shoot 200, do a shoot off if needed.

This is the only good answer for a big blast. Set the main for the masses, and then have a shoot-off for anybody scoring over XXX -- I reco using a fixed score threshold instead of the "top 20 or 25 shooters" number for shoot-off so folks know as soon as they're done shooting their rotation if they're in it -- also means they know/can keep track while they're shooting the main.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
I thought the increase in the target tax was supposed to be used for marketing and promoting the game. What are the results of that increase, besides another high paying job with benefits in SA?

It’s hard to fathom the absolute joy you convey in your posts about shooting registered. So uplifting......so full of optimism. Nicely done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 am 
Limited Edition

lt0026 wrote:

Good question.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Jacks suggestion piggy backs off what the psca did, a good recommendation and place to start. Going to a 3 day regional main was a recent change, so changes can happen. With thought and planning. I'm sure there would be many reasons floated as to the obstacles. Those can be overcome.

I forgot about the marketing gig that was mentioned. Made me think. I remember the ads during the psca show, other than that..... what? Waterfowl shows I watch, or publications I read, don't see it. You'd think a marketing program could be tied into the different wingshooting that is available.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 am 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
You forgot the rental car and golf cart. I figure more like $5/target when I travel to a big bash. It’s a lot for sure. Prolly could feel real painful especially if you can’t hit very many.

Sounds cheaper to go shoot ZZs.............. :wink:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:14 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
JacksBack wrote:

Sounds cheaper to go shoot ZZs.............. :wink:

It is. Especially with all of the chances to win money back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:31 am 
Diamond Grade

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:31 am 
Crown Grade

A really nice aspect of ZZs is no motorized carts with resulting traffic jams, dust clouds, and speeding between stations - as if there were some prize for finishing fastest.

Altogether a more leisurely pace and sociable atmosphere between races. There is nothing leisurely about the targets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

Go to a SC's shoot and get a NASCAR race as a bonus. My SXS ATV is faster and nicer than yours. No carts in Europe or Great Britain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:16 am 
Diamond Grade

I love the carts aspect of tournaments. The entire experience is a friggin hoot! not to mention a heck of a lot more comfortable when a station is backed up on a hot day. you've got seats, shade and plenty of water with you. And you can shoot multiple events in one day!

Oh and you arrive at the next station refreshed from the wonderful breeze you enjoyed on your ride from the last station!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next