ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your favorite brand and style of choke tube is....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Like many here, I've locked down/settled in on what type of gun I use. For over 20 years of my 35 years in Sporting Clays, I've been using a Perazzi. And I doubt I'll ever change. Would never do it at this point.

But I have jumped around with different choke tubes and styles. You name it (other than Muller, but I do have a full set of Briley Plasma chokes), I've owned them all at one time or another. A cheap way to satisfy "doing something different" than getting new guns.

So, I thought I had settled on Extreme Titaniums. Like them a a lot. But a couple of years ago I bought a set of these Briley Titanium Chokes (@ $99.95 a piece). I got them to use in a back-up P-gun, and but I started to use them this year in my main gun and I've really gotten to like them. A lot!

https://www.briley.com/p-62662-perazzi- ... gauge.aspx

Now, I'll admit, a lot of this is cosmetic and weight related as just about every kind of choke tube I've bought has patterned really well. But the color coding, weight, size, and design of these really jives with me. I think they are really cool, and they are very light. And I like titanium better than aluminum.

It's funny, but I rarely see anyone else other than one friend, who presently uses them.

So, what's your favorite brand and style -- and why?

Post subject: Re: Your favorite brand and style of choke tube is....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Teague custom thin walls serial numbered to my gun.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Pure Gold Sporting Optima 5 and 15. Not the Diamond,Ultra or Champions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Been using Mullers in both of my Beretta's for several years. They pattern well with gun/shell combo,easy to clean and I like their lighter weight. I have confidence in them. I use a U2/U3 combo and very pleased :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I like Beretta brand chokes for Berettas. Optima Extended. Why not? Good looking and decent price. The pattern goes without saying. I also use Trulocks for other guns. Very good prices from Optics Planet and quite satisfactory patterning. What else is there? All my chokes are stainless extended.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I originally started with Seminole chokes. Nice folks and a well made product that performed as advertised. Something happened and they went out of business.

Tried Trulock...not impressed. I like Briley thinwalls, but their replacement chokes are a lot like Trulock.....not a lot of difference between constrictions on the pattern board.

Met Jimmy Muller at a shoot here in the northeast and I gave his stuff a try. Muller's pattern well and the constrictions are true to the pattern board results.

I bought a set of Muller's for my 16 gauge Citori, same result....they work.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:56 pm 
Crown Grade

My first favorite brand was briley and I used their LM a lot early on in my journey

I think I was one of the first shooters in Maine if not the first to buy the mullers and I have used them ever since. I use U2 a lot and it’’s an excellent choke for a large percentage of sporting targets. Mine have always patterned like any LM choke I have had.

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 pm 
Field Grade

When shooting tournaments, I'm that guy that's changing chokes at every station so I want a choke that has big easy to read lettering and easy to grip and spin in and out of the barrel. I choose... Extreme Chokes. The fact that I live 5 miles from Curtis and occasionally shoot with him has not influenced my choice. :wink:

A couple years ago I bought a used Perazzi that came with a set of Briley Ti chokes. Yes they're very light weight and they pattern fine but the features that make them sexy were starting to look used and ragged-out... one of the color coded aluminum collars had gotten tapped on the ground, the white background in the etched lettering was turning dark, and the titanium blue tint was wearing off.

Last edited by cootsluicer on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just had 2 Extremes show up in the mail today. Both 15s which I am expecting to pattern closer to .0176 which would be perfect. I’m not a choke changer so they’ll be the ones unless skeet shooting. I think that will conclude choke buying for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Scardog7 wrote:
Just had 2 Extremes show up in the mail today. Both 15s which I am expecting to pattern closer to .0176 which would be perfect. I’m not a choke changer so they’ll be the ones unless skeet shooting. I think that will conclude choke buying for me.

I would’ve rather had the .0177”:-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Factory Krieghoff titanium. They're better than me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:59 pm 
Field Grade

MD -

Like you, I'm a choke shopper. I haven't tried the Briley Plasma, but I have had several Mullers, and they're very good.

I recently got a set of Teague titaniums for my High Tech and they're excellent. Pattern well. I think they're of equal quality to the Briley titaniums (of which I've owned a bunch) and, even with shipping from the UK, are less expensive than the Brileys.

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Lou,

When I bought my 34 inch Perazzi barrel, it was from from a dealer in England Named Litts and came with a set of Teague choke tubes. I really liked them as well.

When I sold that barrel, the chokes went with them. I just might have to give those Teague’s a try again. What did you have to pay for the ones you got?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been shooting Mullers in my K80's for many years.

They are great chokes. Most of the time I shot a pair of U2's.

I am now shooting the Brain Chokes.

I use the C2 and C3.

They have not been out of my barrel for a very long time.

Great chokes.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Opened my gun safe the other day and I noticed every shotgun I own(11) had a Pure Gold15 screwed in it . Must be something to it huh?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 am 
Diamond Grade

I have mod thinwalls extreme, pattern well. Couple of years ago I bought two mod Plasma for my F3, I've had them in ever since. Excellent patterns, and non issue to clean them...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am 
Presentation Grade

You spend 10's of thousands of dollars on the perfect gun for yourself. It has all of the best stuff with stock, trigger, barrel length and weight that fits you to a tee. The manufacturer has spent millions of dollars in development and the latest machining processes. We take it home and marvel at the beauty and function of the gun that will take us to the next level. Then we do the unthinkable. We take out the factory chokes that were designed for our new treasure and throw them away for something we buy from a guy selling stuff from a trailer he towed to the shoot with a pickup truck. Makes sense to me.
I recently purchased a set of Pure Gold from a guy that had rarely used them and was selling the gun so needless to say I got them for 1/2 price. They worked well and looked neat but added a little bit of weight to the barrels. Shot them for a few weeks when a friend asked me if I wanted to sell them. I screwed them out took the money and went to the store and bought more ammo. I won't have to clean them again and it didn't cost me one target to sell them. Factory chokes will break any target anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Factory chokes are often made by third parties, often the lowest bidder. In my experience, some are OK while others were totally unacceptable. A pattern test is the ultimate qualifier

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Browning 725 12ga 32" and I have tried several brand chokes and pattern them with the ammo I shoot trap with. I have tried the OE chokes INV-DS, Muller, Briley, TRULOCK, out of those chokes the TRULOCKs have the best pattern, Muller actually refunded me the cost of the chokes, the other have been in my bag unused. The Browning chokes did not measure or pattern to the tradition constrictions except for the Full choke, all chokes are not ported as my barrels are.(unfortunately)
I just ordered a TRULOCK PHDS12700 Extra Full 0.040, to pattern and try, I now shoot IM first shot and Full 2nd shot, see what the extra full does for maybe 2nd shot doubles?
The TRULOCK pattern superior to the rest, and clean easy, and never loosen up while shooting, I do use "Super Lube Silicone Lubricating grease, "on threads and outside of tube when installing.

Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Goose Gun Bolt action 36"12ga
Pride of Spain DB 10ga
Mossberg 410 ga
NRA Life Member since 2000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 am 
Tournament Grade

cootsluicer wrote:
When shooting tournaments, I'm that guy that's changing chokes at every station so I want a choke that has big easy to read lettering and easy to grip and spin in and out of the barrel. I choose... Extreme Chokes. The fact that I live 5 miles from Curtis and occasionally shoot with him has not influenced my choice. :wink:

A couple years ago I bought a used Perazzi that came with a set of Briley Ti chokes. Yes they're very light weight and they pattern fine but the features that make them sexy were starting to look used and ragged-out... one of the color coded aluminum collars had gotten tapped on the ground, the white background in the etched lettering was turning dark, and the titanium blue tint was wearing off.

You can send them to Briley and have new bands put on them for cheap.

facebook.com/apexclays