ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Your favorite brand and style of choke tube is....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

Yo bdog,

You might think about buying some of those Teague chokes that Nicky has. They would spice up your Zoli really nicely. And I got an extra denture cleaner that I could sell you. Your wife could also use the denture cleaner for cleaning her jewelry as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

nikobe wrote:
It is dirty, but the quality of the breaks improves a lot with the Teague ports in my opinion...

I never realized that.

Try spraying one of your Ported choke tubes with the PAM vegetable oil prior to shooting, and compare the build up afterwards to the other chokes you’ve equally used that day. It does make a difference.

The denture cleaner can make them look like new after years of use.

All joking aside, those really are nice looking CT’s !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am 
Limited Edition

Mule Driver wrote:
Hey Nick,

Cleaning the ports on those chokes could be a real pain — how do you deal with that? They sure do have a lot of visual appeal, but those particular ports look like real powder residue snot catchers to me.

When I had some ported chokes, I did the following: When I got home I would hit them with some gun oil, and let ‘um sit for a bit. Then I would rub them clean with a rag, and put them in an ultra-sonic denture cleaner with dish washer soap (don’t use regular dish soap as it will foam over) for 15 minutes or so. Took them out and dried them off with my air compressor hose after that. Then, let them stand out in the air on my work bench.

Right before leave for my next shoot, I’d spray the ported end of the CT’s down with PAM vegetable oil to lessen the sticking of the black residue to come when shooting. The threads got some gun oil. The PAM really helps, BTW.

Worked really well, but it was a PIA to keep up with. I detested looking at dirty ported chokes when they’re in my gun.

You can get your dentist to order you a dentures cleaner. They hold about 5 or 6 chokes at a time, and cost about $225.

You don't need a pricey specific cleaner for dentures. Ultrasonic cleaners for all kinds of purposes are all over the internet. Amazon has a ton of them. Prices can be as low as $30 or even less. They may not have the "oomph" of a $225 model, but they should work fine for chokes.

Let me recommend pointed cotton swabs and pipe cleaners. Both should make cleaning the ports much easier. Just search "precision cotton swabs" on Amazon. Tons of choices. And the pipe cleaners are readily available too. Both of these items make all types of gun cleaning chores much easier, like getting under the ejectors of an O/U gun when you don't want to take them out for a more detailed cleaning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:32 am 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
You don't need a pricey specific cleaner for dentures. Ultrasonic cleaners for all kinds of purposes are all over the internet. Amazon has a ton of them. Prices can be as low as $30 or even less. They may not have the "oomph" of a $225 model, but they should work fine for chokes.

Let me recommend pointed cotton swabs and pipe cleaners. Both should make cleaning the ports much easier. Just search "precision cotton swabs" on Amazon. Tons of choices. And the pipe cleaners are readily available too. Both of these items make all types of gun cleaning chores much easier, like getting under the ejectors of an O/U gun when you don't want to take them out for a more detailed cleaning.

If you’d use a high quality ultra-sonic like the one I mention, and then some compressed air afterwards, you wouldn’t need to screw around with those “precision cotton swabs” and pipe cleaners. Makes for a much easier and better job.

High tech Q-Tips? That’s catchy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Mule Driver wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

If you’d use a high quality ultra-sonic like the one I mention, and then some compressed air afterwards, you wouldn’t need to screw around with those “precision cotton swabs” and pipe cleaners. Makes for a much easier and better job.

High tech Q-Tips? That’s catchy.

I too have been using ultrasonic cleaners for about 40 years. I assure you that you don’t have to pay that kind of money to get the job done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:46 pm 
Crown Grade

I’m sure that lesser ones will work just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Pure gold chokes for me! I like the extra weight on the end as it helps to balance out the gun... the ported chokes are only for wad stripping to ensure that your shot string isn’t messed up by part of the wad not opening.... The ports have no affect on barrel jump or recoil...( I’ve run all these questions by the designer, machiner, and owner of the company)

We shot some FITASC today and my buddy was very successful on an 80 yard teal with a Pure Gold Improved cylinder out of his A400. I chose my IM (.25) and was breaking it too with 1oz, 1200fps, 7 1/2s.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Müller”s I’ve been shooting them since the beginning, they stay tight, easy to read. And when I do my part they smash.

I broke some stuff today on a fitasc parcour with a u2 that was out there. I have a brand new set of beretta optima hp chokes that came with my 692, my goal is to never use them. Hell the day I brought my 692 home, I took the stock Chokes in the stock case and put them in my gun cabinet.

Been in the Muller mafia too long now, I can’t get out!!!

My duck wacking gun however has a pure gold hanging from it.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

I have settled on Briley Beretta (HP) replacement Titanium Chokes for my DT11. My shotgun has 32" barrels so, these save a little weight at the muzzle. They look good, pattern well and give me a lot of confidence.

I roll my own and have also settled on a 1oz load of #8 Magnum Shot moving at nearly 1300 fps. For sporting clays and 5 stand, a Light Modified and Modified are working for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:49 am 
Field Grade

Factory TI Krieghoff chokes seem just fine, but outrageously priced. $220 for a black Krieghoff TI choke is silly!

Hate chokes emulating Swiss cheese, although I do own a few. Bought them used and cheap.

Not a fan of aluminum chokes.

Prefer stainless, extended, non-ported for single barrel guns.

No favorite brand.

Favorite style would be Modified, extended, non-ported, non-aluminum, used and under $50.

I own factory Krieghoff TI, Browning Midas, Briley(sub-gauge tubes), Muller stainless, Black Bore, and Pure Gold all in Modified. I can’t see any discernible difference.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All guns choked Magic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

I’ve been using Mullers for 6-7 years now. I’ve been impressed with the breaks I get as they often look like they tried to fly through a sieve...I’ve owned 10 so far for various guns.
I have a 1,2, and 3 and usually have the 1,2 combo in there. The 2 broke a teal well over 50 yards with authority last weekend.
I got a new Beretta 3 years ago and planned on using the factory hp chokes until they rolled across my workbench and one was so out of round it looked like a warped pool cue. I bought the Mullers the next day and never looked back.
Cheers Gofer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

For the K gun I’m plenty happy with the looks and performance of the factory Ti. Had a couple extremes for the Zoli and those were just fine as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Brain chokes, they came in my favorite color and had my name on them. As a bonus, they shoot fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:48 pm 
Field Grade

Trulock...with the correct restriction for the task at hand.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

So for my duck hunting gun which is a beretta A300 I bought into the Hevi Steele and Hevi Shot hype and bought their choke tube and two boxes of the 1/1-4 4s at 1500 FPS, I've never folded birds harder. So I ditched the pure gold from that gun and made the change, glad I did. I don't know who makes the chokes for Hevi Shot/Hevi Steele or if they make them in house. I'd like to know.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

gdub41 wrote:
I don't know who makes the chokes for Hevi Shot/Hevi Steele or if they make them in house. I'd like to know.

My HeviShot tube sure looks a whole lot like a Cremator by Carlson...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m way ahead. I ordered my gun with fixed LM and M. Saved hundreds on choke shopping sprees and bought more ammo instead.

Spend time looking at targets not in my bag for the “correct” choke for the shot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

opfats wrote:
Brain chokes, they came in my favorite color and had my name on them. As a bonus, they shoot fine.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Any choke that’s true to size . I got 2 Beretta Optima HP LM
For my 694 . I don’t use the others . Ok maybe sk for skeet
mod for trap but god knows when I’ll shoot them games .