ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2020 Fiocchi Cup Ben Avery - CANCELLED
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:17 pm 
Utility Grade

2020 Fiocchi Cup Update

It is with much regret we are having to cancel the 2020 Fiocchi Cup scheduled for November 12-15. With the Ben Avery Clay Target Center being owned and operated by The Arizona Game & Fish Department and currently in phase 1 lockdown, there are many restrictions still in place. At the present time it would be impossible to have the high-quality shoot that our loyal customers have grown to expect.

With COVID19 dominating our lives we have gotten used to things changing rapidly and not necessarily for the better.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause people who have already booked flights, hotel rooms and taken time off work.

If things get better by January, we look forward to seeing everyone at the Copper State Open and the World Super Sporting in February.

Thank you all for your support in years past.

Sincerely,
Dan Twitchell & Staff
Premier Shooting Sports

Post subject: Re: 2020 Fiocchi Cup Ben Avery - CANCELLED
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry Dan, that's sucks. Good luck for the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's too bad that's always an awesome shoot, lots of fun.

As far as I'm concerned the Avery has been closed since March. Their scheduled "Tee Times" or shooting times are ridiculous and I won't shoot there until that nonsense is lifted. It's stupid plain and simple. But that's what happens when the States runs something. On the bright side Tucson is open and as good as ever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:20 pm 
Crown Grade

What's going on at Rio Salado? I always enjoy that place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 am 
Presentation Grade

That's definitely a loss for Arizona and surrounding states' shooters. Dan and crew put on a great shoot. But many of us also know the hoops they would have to jump through to comply with the restrictions in place at a state owned facility, and certainly understand their decision. They'd set a high bar for shoot quality, and it would be a big risk at this point to host that many shooters, give them a quality shoot, and not run afoul of the rules placed on them.

Rio Salado is business as usual, with a few social distance guidelines on the trap/combo/five stand field. Other than that, open 7 days a week.

Lucas Hoem is setting some great targets, and the club is growing. Membership just passed 8,000 in September.

But as you know, they're running out of room there, and there's no place else to expand beyond the one course. In addition, the club's management is dominated by the rifle and pistol disciplines. Between that, and the government oversight making things difficult at Ben Avery, it has created a new interest in building a privately owned shotgun club in the SouthEast Valley.

Stay tuned, but expect to hear more from Lost Dutchman Sporting Clays soon. We are in the process of purchasing a very nice piece of land, with some great terrain, and are soliciting for Founding Members to purchase advance memberships, sponsor stations, etc. Folks who are interested in helping us make this happen sooner rather than later, with some nice lifetime perks.

We have already received a very nice investment, a fellow stepped up and is purchasing a complete autoload Helice setup, and a cash donation on top of that to put in the field with concrete pads, the fences, etc., so we'll have ZZ Birds up and running almost immediately.

For the clay disciplines, there is room to be generously spaced between stations, and we hope to build something along the lines of the 74 Ranch, with multiple traps per station, wireless, with the ability to move around for training and practice. We already own 30 Promatic traps and wireless controls, and should be able to get a basic course up and running quickly, once the land purchase is completed.

The club will be by shooters, for shooters. We're starting with Sporting/AFS/Five Stand, as well as Helice, because those are the folks who've stepped up and offered to help make this happen. We've designed in room for Trap and Skeet fields, if the members create a demand for those fields, we'll build them.

Last edited by AZ Dutch on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:54 am 
Presentation Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:
Rio Salado is business as usual, with a few social distance guidelines on the trap/combo/five stand field. Other than that, open 7 days a week.

Lucas Hoem is setting some great targets, and the club is growing. Membership just passed 8,000 in September.

But as you know, they're running out of room there, and there's no place else to expand beyond the one course. In addition, the club's management is dominated by the rifle and pistol disciplines. Between that, and the government oversight making things difficult at Ben Avery, it has created a new interest in building a privately owned shotgun club in the SouthEast Valley.

Stay tuned, but expect to hear more from Lost Dutchman Sporting Clays soon. We are in the process of purchasing a very nice piece of land, with some great terrain, and are soliciting for Founding Members to purchase advance memberships, sponsor stations, etc. Folks who are interested in helping us make this happen sooner rather than later, with some nice lifetime perks.

We have already received a very nice investment, a fellow stepped up and is purchasing a complete autoload Helice setup, and a cash donation on top of that to put in the field with concrete pads, the fences, etc., so we'll have ZZ Birds up and running almost immediately.

There is room to be generously spaced between stations, and we hope to build something along the lines of the 74 Ranch, with multiple traps per station, wireless, with the ability to move around for training and practice. We already own 30 Promatic traps and wireless controls, and should be able to get a basic course up and running quickly, once the land purchase is completed.

The club will be by shooters, for shooters. We're starting with Sporting/AFS/Five Stand, as well as Helice, because those are the folks who've stepped up and offered to help make this happen. We've designed in room for Trap and Skeet fields, if the members create a demand for those fields, we'll build them.

Can you give us an idea Where is the property located?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sportshot2 wrote:

Can you give us an idea Where is the property located?

Southeast of the Valley, is as much as we'd like to divulge at this point. (No need driving up the interest in the property until it's purchased) It will be very convenient to the Queen Creek, SanTan, and Florence area.

If you are interested in becoming a Founding Member, and don't mind signing an NDA, contact me by PM here, or Russ Wald and Hugo Soll, if you know them, and we can be a bit more specific.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:
We have already received a very nice investment, a fellow stepped up and is purchasing a complete autoload Helice setup, and a cash donation on top of that to put in the field with concrete pads, the fences, etc., so we'll have ZZ Birds up and running almost immediately...

Glad I could help out :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Your check was returned for insufficient postage, so Don Warring stepped up for the Helice setup, hereinafter known as Warring Field.

I have no idea what they are, but it’s been mentioned we own a set of Barnaby boxes as well. Naming rights still available for those.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:33 pm 
Crown Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:
Your check was returned for insufficient postage, so Don Warring stepped up for the Helice setup, hereinafter known as Warring Field.

I have no idea what they are, but it’s been mentioned we own a set of Barnaby boxes as well. Naming rights still available for those.

Barnabee boxes... https://www.gunsamerica.com/908532324/B ... -Boxes.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

So THATS what those are for. Who’d a thunk it? At a shotgun club too. What are the odds?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I've got about a dozen Barnaby's boxes in my garage.

Barnaby's of Northbrook
960 Skokie Blvd,
Northbrook, IL 60062
(847) 498-3900
https://maps.app.goo.gl/R93tQjyJ9Sd8TXnz7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:40 pm 
Field Grade

Very sad that Dan Twitchell who always puts on a hugely successful shoot like the Fiocchi Cup year after year had to cancel this event. In Dan's defense he was not willing to compromise the integrity of this shoot and rightfully so. Because this is a state run facility and they have gone over the top of ridiculous on these Covid restrictions you can place the blame squarely on them.

That said it has been a major burden on every shooter that calls Ben Avery CTC home. All the fun has been taken away by this insane protocol and having to make reservations to simply shoot practice is ludicrous to say the least. I have not and will not shoot practice under these conditions and hopefully they finally wake up to the reality that this is costing loyal shooters to go elsewhere[ie] Rio Salado, Tucson, and Picacho.

Nice to hear the new plans that Rio plans on bringing to life in the far east valley but it would be nice if we could get the same co-operation from those in charge in the Northwest valley as well as it is a shame to see a nice shooting venue not being able to be used.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

Another sporting clays course is always a good thing.

Dan, I'll be in AZ next week, lunch?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

@ AZ Dutch -- AWESOME news Terry!!! Very excited to learn more about the new club.

As pointed out, Barnabee boxes are the traps used for flyers, and FWIW, it's very easy to set up a live-bird ring inside a Helice ring, especially when you build the initial ring with BOTH disciplines in mind. Just sayin ;)

But, it is not advisable to advertise such, and probably even more advisable if you're going to do flyers to not have the rings visible from any public road. There are also now some very strict game laws in many states --and I believe AZ is one-- where betting pools on any game take, even vermin, is mandatory imprisonment(!) So beware to check it all out carefully.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Excited to hear of your venture Dutch. When its up, I will make a visit. Maybe I can drag Jack with me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:
Your check was returned for insufficient postage...

Insufficient postage? More like insufficient funds. These days I'm too poor to pay attention :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:42 am 
Tournament Grade

AZ Dutch,

Any chance of somebody else taking the dates and putting on another tournament replacing Fiocchi Cup? Pinnacle?

s/f Steve
(Your favorite Marine in Colorado)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Working on it, Sargent Major, but it’s a scrambled mess at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Much Thanks!
s/f