ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mid-level O/U Shotgun Recommendation?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Exactly.^

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:16 pm 
Crown Grade

So I guess we would all be driving around in 25-40 year old cars if you had your way?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:18 pm 
Crown Grade

If that’s what you take away from the comments..........more wont help you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Whats next, promoting the Remington 3200?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Didn’t realize you were such a gun snob....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:04 pm 
Crown Grade

I know it’s hard for some of you to imagine, but some folks don’t want an old Perazzi. I didn’t even want a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:08 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
I know it’s hard for some of you to imagine, but some folks don’t want an old Perazzi. I didn’t even want a new one.

Perfectly alright...... but the OP was asking about guns with a specific budget. Others pointed out options, including some quality used options. Just another few options for the project. Buy whatever you like.

Post subject: Re: Mid-level O/U Shotgun Recommendation?lLmput, RB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Well put, RB.

Finding what gun works for you is part of the journey. And it’s really nice when that exercise is done and one can settle in on what flicks their bick.

I’ve own and shot Perazzi’s for over 20 years. It’s nice to have “what gun” under control. Each to his own, and enjoy what works for you.

There’s always different brands of choke tubes to change to when you get frogging for something new. Just leap on in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
drawdc wrote:

Perfectly alright...... but the OP was asking about guns with a specific budget. Others pointed out options, including some quality used options. Just another few options for the project. Buy whatever you like.

11 posts about used Perazzis isn’t simply stating an alternative. I bet the OP heard the idea after 2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:
drawdc wrote:

11 posts about used Perazzis isn’t simply stating an alternative. I bet the OP heard the idea after 2.

Excellent response! Thanks for not disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

My Blaser F16 in the "O/U's for Sale" in the classifieds is the best deal he's going to find...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

lt0026 wrote:
So I guess we would all be driving around in 25-40 year old cars if you had your way?

Whats next, promoting the Remington 3200?

Shotgun sports aren't exactly Formula 1. It's not like the tech is improving every day. What real innovations have happened in the last 30-40 years? Adjustable ribs, adjustable weight kits in on barrels and in stocks, recoil absorbing devices in stocks, adjustable stocks? Not a lot of real game changers there.

Heck one of the most popular (and expensive) shotguns used today, the Krieghoff K-80, dates back to 1932, to the Remington Model 32, with relatively few changes (though going back that far, probably some better steel these days).

Last edited by mpolans on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:38 am 
Crown Grade

I get it that some people collect old stuff and like to reminisce . The game has evolved. You hardly see these guns on sporting courses. I have plenty of old guns that were passed down. They wouldn't be an option as the best gun for frequent shooting today. The game and equipment has evolved. Look at just about every sport and the equipment they used over the past 30-40 years. Most of these types of threads end up being the same. What I own or have for sale works best for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:41 am 
Crown Grade

All the advice and suggestions are good review points for the OP to consider. Some of the suggestions may be difficult for the guys son to handle to check fit and balance and handling which in my opinion is critical. It would suck to buy a new or used gun blind at or near your budget and then need to spend more to make it fit right

My recommendation is define a short list and if possible find a way to handle or better yet test drive those prospects. Not always easy but to spend $4K do your very best to spend it in an informed way

My own personal direction would be to buy something new and current but I respect the input on the used guns from the premium labels. I know those guns are very well built and built to last.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

One other consideration on the new versus used angle is changes made to the used gun to improve fit. A new gun has a typical fit baseline. Browning or Beretta or CG or others will have a pretty similar fit and feel gun to gun within that brand

Competition or volume shooters come in all shapes and sizes and are more likely to make changes to their gun to make it work better for themselves.

If you decide to buy used be sure to ask questions about changes made to the gun and stock.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 am 
Tournament Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
One other consideration on the new versus used angle is changes made to the used gun to improve fit. A new gun has a typical fit baseline. Browning or Beretta or CG or others will have a pretty similar fit and feel gun to gun within that brand

Competition or volume shooters come in all shapes and sizes and are more likely to make changes to their gun to make it work better for themselves.

If you decide to buy used be sure to ask questions about changes made to the gun and stock.

This is very good advice. The stock could have been bent to have its cast reversed for a lefty for example. Best to inquire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

dpe2002 wrote:

You bring a up a good point. Fit is important. As a lefty, I've frequently had difficulty finding guns with stocks that fit well. A Precision Fit Stock has been a tremendous help; forget the recoil reduction, the simple ability to tailor the gun to fit is most important part. For best fit, one possibility to strongly consider is budgeting in the cost of a PFS along with the gun...figure around $900-1000 for a used PFS, allowing for $3500-3600 for the gun itself.