ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike McAlpine's target Setting Book
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:23 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

My Target Setting Book will be published very soon and I will let the people who are interested know when it is. (Probably sometime in the next month or so) I have sent in most of the text and sketches to my editor and he is almost finished with the editing. Also I have added a section about trick presentations and how to set them. I also explain what the setter it trying to do and how the shooter can beat the setter on these presentation. I give suggestions on how I would take the presentation and will back it up with facts and experience. This will help both Setters and Shooters.

I have decided to add in things (sketches) about setting a five stand and the best way to practice shooting pairs. Also, I will draw a few FITASC parcours and explain why I set the targets the way I did. Since Super Sporting is becoming more popular I will add presentations for this game to. I know that this book is mainly about Sporting clay type of games but I think to be complete I should add in a little on Skeet, Trap and Games just to cover everything. The more that I write, the more new ideas come to me. Remember that this book, while is about setting targets and courses, it is also something that shooters will enjoy too. Understanding presentations and target setters is a good thing when trying to WIN.

Mike McAlpine

I have decide on a new name. I was going to use Target Setting the Art and the Science. but my editor pointed out to me that there were many books already out there that have used a name very similar . Also, I didn't want people to think I was trying to ride on My old friends, Bob Brister's tail. There will be a tribute page for Bob. He taught me a lot about setting a good fair and easy to see course. He was one of the best mentors a person could have had. I will also add something about our friend chuck Frazier who recently passes away. Chuck was a great target setter and the best trap mechanic that I have ever known. He showed me a lot of tricks to fix a trap.

Mike McAlpine

I hope everyone who buys a copy of this book will enjoy it. I was not able to do the special thing that goes with the book but I will try to start on it as soon as I see if this book is going to sell. This option is expensive to do so, I don't want to spend money if people don't care for the book.

Last edited by Mike McAlpine on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's target Setting Book
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Time to sell autographed copies of your book at the Nationals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Albany, i don't know about autographs but I will sell copies at the nationals. I don't mind signing my name but I don't think of myself as a celebrity. I am just an old target setter.

Years ago, I was asked to be apart of the Rusty Greer Shoot. This was a big Celebrity shoot held at Alpine Shooting range. I had done this shoot the year before. I invited Gary Greenway to come with me and shoot. He was the Chairman of the EC then. When I got there, Rusty asked me to be a celebrity. That he said he had a lot of request from the year before for me to be a celebrity. I really didn't want to do this but Rusty insisted. I told him I would do it if Gary could do it with me. So Gary was a celebrity too.

Each station had a nice framed sign on it. All of the celebrities had to write their name on the sign and I thought I was through. Well, a little kid about 12 years old came up with his dad and asked me for my autograph. I looked at him and said son, I am not one of the baseball players. These guys are the guys that you need to get an autograph from. He looked hurt and his dad said that he knew that I wasn't one of the baseball players because he was a shooter and and had read my name in the magazine, I signed my name for him but I was embarrassed about it. After that , several people came up and wanted my autograph. I just gave in and did it. I was really happy when the shoot was over.

Mike McAlpine

Just an oldtime target setter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looking forward to it Mike :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Its refreshing to see an icon be self deprecating.

You are the MAN.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Looking forward the the book Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike I'd like to know when and where it's available.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:20 pm 
Field Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
My Target Setting Book will be published very soon and I will let the people who are interested know when it is.

I'm interested... and would love to pay extra for an autographed copy too.

Will be watching for it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:29 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Perd,

Thank you for your compliment. I know it seems like I am patting myself on the back but this is never my intention. I am trying to market myself when I post my qualifications or mention the things I have done in the sport. I really am more of a private person. I hear a lot of laughing out there but this is the real me unless, I am teaching, setting targets or shooting. I really let go when I am having fun. LOL ha ha ha

Misplaced, Thank you for your kind words but if you would like me to sign my book, I can guarantee you there WON't be ANY Charge; That is not me. I do appreciate the compliment but I wrote this book to help targets setters AND shooters with their game. There is a lot for a shooter to get out of this book.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 pm 
Field Grade

Mike- I would like to purchase an autographed copy as well.

I have enjoyed your targets through the years and have been beat by some that still make me wonder "how". This happened to me once in KY and once at the nationals. I can see them right now, they were "easy, nothing to them" but they cost me dearly.

Once the pandemic is over, I really would like to squad with you at an event we can both attend. it would be an honor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’d take a autographed copy in a heartbeat Mike. Been looking forward to your book for quite a while.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thank you all for your support and comments. After this corona Crap passes, I plan to start setting targets and teaching again. I have added one day clinics to my schedule. I normally like to teach my three day class Target Reading and Presentation Seminar (TRAPS) (More time to teach equals more personal time to learn.) but because of the times I have decided that there would be more people able to take a one day class. The minimum students per class is 5 with 6 being the maximum. I must have a least three days to be able to travel and pay my expenses. I will pay for all of my travel expenses and the students will pay for their targets and ammo.

I hope someone will help me fill these classes. If so, I will give that person three comped days but they must fill all three days. This persons participation will be separate from the maximum and minimums requirements. Also, if one person in each class fills their class for that day, they will receive the comp for their class. Any one that wants to can attend one, two or all three days. Any person that comes for three days will receive a discount for doing so. Their cost will be $695.00 for all three days. This is the normal fee for my target Reading and Presentation School. This is my premium school. I will furnish all students with a manual that will include the information in the school.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine

One thing more, If any student who wish to purchase my book, they will receive a 15% discount off of the price. Sorry, but until I am completely finished with the book, (this includes the editing and publishing fees) I can't give you the exact price. The buyer will have to pay for shipping.

Damn, I never knew that there were so many things that must be done when writing a book. LOL

Cushman,

I would like that too. The problem right now is that I haven't shot a tournament for the last five years but if I start selling some books, I might be able to start shooting again and of of course everything depends on my health. To be frank, I didn't think I would have been able to do much by now. Maybe, I am is some kind of remission. I have and appointment scheduled with my liver doctor sometime in September.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:29 am 
Utility Grade

I would happily buy a copy of your book and would like to have it signed if available. I look forward to the perspective of a target setter and as a shooter hope that it might gain a target or two.

Thank you for the effort!!

MB

Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's Target Setting Book for Setters and Shoo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I know it's early but from the number of views it doesn't look like there is as much interest on this page for my book as I had hoped. This is just an observation and I will still publish it. If you are possibly interested please reply. This book will help both setters and shooters.

Thanks,

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don’t worry Mike. There’s alway lurkers and word of mouth that happens behind the scenes.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
Don’t worry Mike. There’s alway lurkers and word of mouth that happens behind the scenes.

I'm one of them! :)

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 am 
Crown Grade

I meant to check this out sooner Mike.

Count me in for an autographed copy. When shooters realize the value of having a better understanding of what goes into setting targets, your book will sell like hot cakes.

Understanding what a target setter thinks and does will surely give us all a tool to shot better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:11 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks guys for your encouragement. Like you, I think this book will not only help our new and even experienced setters but ALSO SHOOTERS TOO ;all setters who have been setting for a long time may need a referrer course just to remind them what it takes to set a great course. Following all of the basic rules of target setting can only help our setters design better courses and let their shooters enjoy the tournament. This will keep bring back these shooters to a club to shoot more targets. The club wins too if their setter does what he is suppose to.

There will be many who follow the rules and set great courses. My hat is off to them but I am hearing about some that have devolved a little and have started to set targets that are hard to see, and over the top. I personally like challenging targets that I can see and have time to make a move on but I frown on targets when the setter uses the wrong color with a background that doesn't create maximum contrast. I have recently heard about a few experienced setters setting targets like this to make the course harder for the top guns. The best will figure out a way to break even targets like this but new and less experienced shooters may quit and find another pastime that is more fun than clay shooting. What a shame. Many of us have been trying our entire careers to get as many new shooters into the sport as we can and then comes along a setter like this and drives these people away in droves.

Mike McAlpine

Please remember, this book is about target setting but it will also give shooters some help because it describes what the setter is trying to do to the shooter. Yes, I will explain how to set such presentations but I will also explain what the setter is trying to accomplish and how to shoot this presentation. Heck, while writing this book, it has made me remember how to take these targets and beat the setter at their own game. I might just want to start shooting again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would love a signed copy. I enjoy buying a book from the Author and like to get them to sign it. I have an autographed copy of Ed Sheerers’ skeet booklet. It helped me learn the game back in the late 80’s. I remember calling the number to get the book and the VCR video. Ed answered the phone and I felt special . I called you one time to leave a thank you for a helpful tip you provided to me on SW World your wife answered and put you on the phone. Once again I felt honored that an accomplished shooter would talk to a stranger . Bravo to you

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I’m looking forward to your book and also think there are many silent folks on the forum who agree. I’ve seen you pass on a lot of good advice to shooters over the years. Thanks for your contributions to, and support of our shotgun sports.