ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's target Setting Book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 am 
Field Grade

Hi Mike - I am certainly looking forward to your new book. The more my daughter gets into sporting clays the more interest I have in learning how target setters plan their courses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:28 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Scotty,

Thank you for your mail. I am always happy to hear of a parent encouraging their children to become a clay target shooter. My dad taught me to hunt and fish. We couldn't afford to shoot clays back then and we didn't know anything about it. We always ate everything that we shot or caught. I taught my dad, grandson and son-n-law to shoot clays plus all of my friends. It has been a way of life for me.

Thanks again,

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy
Claybird Specialties

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:14 am 
Field Grade

Mike,

My family never hunted, but clays has become a very important part of our lives. My daughter started trap three years ago with our high school team. She joined a local SCTP team last fall and that is when her interest in shotgun sports and all the different disciplines really exploded. Everything we do now revolves around her shoot schedule, and we have truly enjoyed all the wonderful relationships we have developed along the way.

Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Put me down for a copy of your book. Look forward to your insights.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:33 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Scotty,

I was a trap and skeet shooter for the first 15 years of my career. I still teach Trap and can teach Skeet too. I was one of the people who helped start SCTP. If you ever need someone (I am a professional coach) to work with your daughter, please let me know. I have traveled all over North America Teaching shooting of all games. I was the NSCA Chief Instructor for many years. I am not traveling right now because of Covid 19 but when things cool down a little I will start traveling again.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:14 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you, Mike. That is very kind of you. I may very well take you up on your offer once the world is a little safer for travel again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:31 am 
Field Grade

Mike, I'm interested in a copy, perhaps a second one for a friend I share target setting duties with.

Bob.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I'll take a copy.
Paul Harm - email - [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd be in for a copy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Make that one for me as well. We are setting up a five stand or compact sporting way up in Pittsburg, NH in the fall after all the covid settles down and could use a book like that. Pm when, where, and how to purchase.

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I would like one when its ready to ship.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Doo, John and bell, The book should be ready soon, I have finished about 80% which has already been edited and formatted. I just finished my chapter on Five-Stand. I Still have FITASC, Super Sporting, Small gauge and side games to write. These will be short chapters because every thing in the first part of this book applies too all spin-offs of sporting.

I will give my thoughts on these games and talk about how I personally set all of these games. Everyone, please remember, that these comments are mine and other target setters might have a different way when setting these other games. If their way produces good courses, I am fine with it. I don't claim to know everything about all games but as I have said, I have been doing this for a very long time and have things that I have found that have helped me a lot.

Mike McAlpine

No one knows everything so setters can still learn from each other. This includes me too. I try to learn something new every day. This is what makes life good for me. Having an open mind and listening to others is another key to knowledge. I tremble to think what would have happened to me if I hadn't listened to Bob Brister!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I will definitely buy a copy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:36 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks red,

I will post the date that the book will be ready to sell. It won't be long.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mike, I'll see you at the Nationals for your book. Do you know which building you'll be in?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will buy one. Let us know when

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

tuf,

I just finished talking to my editor about being ready for the nationals. He said he would try but might not make the timetable. He thinks he will have every thing finished with the book by mid September, but I will still have to get the printing done after that. If we make it I will try to rent a spot in the Shooters Mall. If it is full, Norbert Housman of Zoli (Zoli was a sponsor of mine for many years) and I are friends and he and I might be able to rent a spot from him. I will try to find out ASAP about being at Nationals. I wish every thing was normal and there would be a lot more people there.

Sincerely,

Hey, Thank you for your interest in this book. I was working on it tonight for a while. I will start back in the morning. I have really had a great time doing this. I find myself thinking about a lot of things that I have learned in the last thirty-four years of my target setting career. That is how long I have been setting targets. LOL

I started shooting clay targets in 1972. Boy have I spent a lot of money. Your know, several years ago two of my friend asked me how many shotgun shells have I shot in all of this time. I kept the end of primer cases and cases or flats of new shells I bought. Now this may not be exact but we guessed somewhere around a million and a half. Maybe as many as two million. This included my bird hunting too. You have to remember I shot more that 40,00 of practice targets every year for 48 years. Like I said, I spent a lot of money in this game but I wouldn't change a thing, Well maybe getting into the politics of our sport and for the most part I enjoyed this too.

Tuff, I can hear the trolls saying that's impossible, but it was.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:55 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Jim,

Are you throwing Sporting clays in Argentina? With all of the dove there. I wouldn't have thought you would have had time. I have never been able to go to Argentina but I have always wanted too. Maybe some day!!!! I did have an offer to teach at one of the hunting clubs but for some reason, the class fell through. It could have been my schedule while I was NSCA Chief Instructor. I traveled a lot in those day. I traveled 250 days a year one year. I like my job and I worked hard at it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:12 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

My old friend Jim Moses of Promatic traps sent me a great picture I can use for my memorial for Chuck Frazier that I am adding to my book. Thanks Jim, I know that Chuck enjoyed working for you and Promatic.

He was one of a kind, and so are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike McAlpine wrote:
Thanks Jim,

Are you throwing Sporting clays in Argentina? With all of the dove there. I wouldn't have thought you would have had time. I have never been able to go to Argentina but I have always wanted too. Maybe some day!!!! I did have an offer to teach at one of the hunting clubs but for some reason, the class fell through. It could have been my schedule while I was NSCA Chief Instructor. I traveled a lot in those day. I traveled 250 days a year one year. I like my job and I worked hard at it.

Actually Argentina is a new clay game. It is made to attach to a Long Range Controller. It throws 5 pairs from 4 machines in random order. All in under a minute.