ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre Shot Routine Madness
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm 
Limited Edition

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
What is your hurry?

No hurry. But would like to keep a respectable pace to keep the flow going. It would really stink to have to have a shot clock/no mounting unless shooting rule or something like that. But watching some videos of the regional and one person went through this lengthy routine, then put their gun down and started over. Did this between each pair at the station.

This is the only shotgun game where these elaborate preshot routines exist and exceed 15 seconds. Whoever is coaching them......stop it!!!! Making checkers into chess.

Post subject: Pre Shot Routine Madness
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is an interesting subject. With one respect I’d like to say that if it’s ok for a super good shooter to do whatever pre shot routine they want and it’s not for the rest of us when do you cross the threshold of being good enough? Don’t laugh. :) I know I won’t get there! Lol
But it does beg the question.

My other thought is that I think I’m at a point where I think I get hung up on my own pre shot routine and should probably abbreviate it. To what I have no idea!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:58 pm 
Crown Grade

The flexing, shaking, adjusting the glasses and gyrations. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

See Bird-KILL Bird ------PULL, Easy -peasy :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

It would be one thing if most of the people were real champions, and they needed every last little detail to make sure they shot a 92 instead of a 91 or whatever. But, I’ve got news for 99% of them, they’re just not that good! Get on with it already! It’s enough to make me launch into a Rodney Dangerfield routine while Judge Smails is trying to tee-off: “Let’s go, while we’re young!”.

And where did people come up this “empty gun” garbage? They watch the first pair like normal. Then they close and shoulder their gun while saying “empty gun”, call for it again and track both targets? Again, if it helped them it would be one thing, but I have news for them, it doesn’t do anything for them except waste the clubs targets and everybody elses time!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
This is an interesting subject. With one respect I’d like to say that if it’s ok for a super good shooter to do whatever pre shot routine they want and it’s not for the rest of us when do you cross the threshold of being good enough? Don’t laugh. :) I know I won’t get there! Lol
But it does beg the question.

My other thought is that I think I’m at a point where I think I get hung up on my own pre shot routine and should probably abbreviate it. To what I have no idea!

You missed the point, though I mostly agree......it’s more about you can somewhat understand one of the elite shooters, in the hunt at a major shoot, doing whatever they do. I don’t like it, but can understand it.

I’m more of the ‘get moving, or the trash talk is starting crowd’. But in reality, there’s no right or wrong answer based on ability. Everyone should SUAS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can I get a list of your names so if I'm squadded with you I'll know to take an eternity and drive you bonkers.

Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

You’ll know.........you’ll hear the ‘swish’ of the riding crop, just before impact:-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:59 pm 
Crown Grade

All good fun aside, I don’t really care. It’s like golfers, pitchers, batters, shooters.....you do your thing, I’ll do mine.

But if we know each other, the ridicule will only get worse before the slow pulls/fast pulls get you back:-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

SirSkeetsALot wrote:
My experience is that dwelling on any part of the preshot seems to be self defeating.

That's my experience too.

I'd be in favor of a time limit. It seems to work just fine in FITASC. People who turn every pair (and single in SS) into a major production can disrupt the rhythm of the whole squad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:31 pm 
Crown Grade

jwgworld wrote:
SirSkeetsALot wrote:
My experience is that dwelling on any part of the preshot seems to be self defeating.

I'd be in favor of a time limit. It seems to work just fine in FITASC. People who turn every pair (and single in SS) into a major production can disrupt the rhythm of the whole squad.

I’m torn on this......when I hear ‘disrupt the squad rhythm’, it makes us sound like trap shooters. When I think we can be so slow we resemble skeet shooters, and are opening up to ridicule from trap shooters, it’s scary:-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think I’ll add checking my blood sugar into my routine. You can deny me my medical safety!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:03 pm 
Crown Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I think I’ll add checking my blood sugar into my routine. You can deny me my medical safety!

No. That would be just wrong. But be quick about it!;-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 pm 
Field Grade

Came to Illinois to shoot the North Central this past weekend. We shot the prelim behind a squad of five juniors and their entourage (parents). There were more people riding in their carts then there were shooting. After the 5th station, we looked ahead and there were 3 completely empty stations in front of them.
Routine was:
track the bird, chase the witches, touch the hand to the vest, move the hat, touch the glasses, wipe the finger on back of vest, chase the witches, drop two shells in the gun, wave a hand, visualize the bird, take a deep breath, close the gun, move from hold point to break point 5-times, touch the glasses, move the hat, touch the vest, another deep breath - then call pull. 5 shooters.EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

We then watched the 5-stand get so backed up a guy had to leave after the 3rd stand in order to make super sporting time because the squad in front of them was taking so long - yes, it had been running on time and they were following the squad of big dogs with long routines.

We had A+B squads on the Main Event, 14 stations, squad of 5, We were done in less than 2hrs. That was great IMHO.

I liked that ref on FITASC Par 4, peg 2 that had his little finger timer - he kept it moving! I hope that AFS has a timing rule to keep 30 minute rotations. That is a rule I can get behind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
jwgworld wrote:
SirSkeetsALot wrote:

I’m torn on this......when I hear ‘disrupt the squad rhythm’, it makes us sound like trap shooters. When I think we can be so slow we resemble skeet shooters, and are opening up to ridicule from trap shooters, it’s scary:-)

That is scary, almost too dreadful to contemplate... :shock:

Seriously though, while I certainly wouldn't want sporting to be like trap can be, where some people stare daggers at a guy who fumbles with something for a moment and adds two seconds to the time it takes him to shoot, I also don't want to repeat an experience I had a couple of years ago where I was on a squad of five and one guy took longer at each station than the rest of the squad put together. That ain't right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I try not to spend an inordinate time doing anything.

Annoys the hell out of my wife. ;)

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Jwg, absolutely agree!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:26 pm 
Crown Grade

If pace of play is regulated by a rule the top shooters will adapt and still be top shooters. Bottom line is that though most of us suck by comparison there is no rule preventing it so it is what it is

I don’t particularly enjoy getting stacked up and having play be slow but it happens. One machine breakdown can do the same thing. And as we often discuss, there are a significant number of SYO events in play nationwide. I have no interest in trying to manage a shot clock then. And you can’t turn the rule on and off either for certain people or events.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:33 pm 
Crown Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
If pace of play is regulated by a rule the top shooters will adapt and still be top shooters. Bottom line is that though most of us suck by comparison there is no rule preventing it so it is what it is

I don’t particularly enjoy getting stacked up and having play be slow but it happens. One machine breakdown can do the same thing. And as we often discuss, there are a significant number of SYO events in play nationwide. I have no interest in trying to manage a shot clock then. And you can’t turn the rule on and off either for certain people or events.

Soooo..............no riding crop?:-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
dpe2002 wrote:

Soooo..............no riding crop?:-)

Personally I love the idea. A lot of the guys I shoot with are no nonsense like I am Anything that cuts down on the human rain delay factor is good. The slow shooters won’t wear the shock collar so the crop is a good alternative

NSCA 602398

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next