ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: A better way to refer to Shooters in A, B, C, D, or E Class
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

The recent thread "what can we do to support lower class registered shooters" got me to thinking after someone mention in a post there that "first of all, don't refer to them as Lower class to begin with".

I think that's a very good point.

I'm personally not into being or worrying about being Politically Correct. Never been much of a thing to me. Prefer to be just like Howard Cosell and "tell it like it is". But, calling another shooter "lower class" doesn't set well with me.

But, I couldn't come up with another good name of reference, either. In a recent article in ClayShooting USA magazine, the author of an article used the term "lower level shooters", which I think sounds and feels better.

Anyone else given this much thot? If so, come across what you might think would be a better way to refer to these shooters who are looking to be the next George Jefferson and "are movin' on up".

Post subject: Re: A better way to refer to Shooters in A, B, C, D, or E Cl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Emerging shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Vertically class challenged shooters........ :mrgreen:

Seriously, what's wrong by just using the class denomination of A, B, C, D, E?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Anything can feel belittling depending on how sensitive the recipients are or how the term is framed up

There is nothing wrong with being in any of the classifications whatsoever. Most everyone starts out in E unless there is previous experience in another discipline to classify by.

I think we all just really need to focus on our own situation and personal program and objectives. Treat others with respect and everything goes just fine. I get squadded with newer shooters frequently and sometimes they need and appreciate a little direction on how the game is played and others are more advanced and are just trying to figure out how to be more successful breaking challenging targets. Others yet are at a point where they are in the hunt to punch and advance. We have all gone through it

How we interact with these shooters at the range is important. Most just need a few friendly encouraging words to feel like they belong.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"Letter classes"

Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

You are either shooting in "Open Class" (AA or M) or you are shooting Classed IMHO. The only thing that the Class system does (other than getting us to shoot more and pay in to the State and National Associations) is have a person learn how to compete and see more targets. At some point, if you shoot enough, you will be in Open class. Just the way it is setup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Howbout Division 5,4,3,2,1, AA, Master.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I have on occasion heard AA and Master shooters arrogantly refer to us plebes negatively. For example, "Joe, that target was easy. You look like you're in C class."

It's pretty comforting, however, when the person who denigrates someone of a lower class gets there a$$ handed to them by the lower class shooter. It happens frequently, I've learned, as some folks refuse a downclass and really don't belong where they are to begin with.

As I climb the ladder, I understand how hard this game is, and how one may feel the need to bloviate about their class status. I hope to remember that everyone had to start at the bottom, and that the road up is a long one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm old and entered my first tournament last winter. I don't know what class I was even in but it would not even matter if I was in the "Z" class. I knew I would not win anything but had a good time and will try it again.
I guess when you reach advanced age your ego does not matter, you are just thankful you can still shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

How about Kindergarten, First Grade, Second Grade...........seriously, registered sporting clays targets are big boy targets, its time they put their big boy pants on, stopped worrying about the small stuff and learn to hit the clay target. If they need instant gratification they should go back to playing video games where there are instant "do overs"

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How about adult t-ball class? Everyone gets a participation trophy...

If you are in less than the highest class available, you are in a lower class. Improving your classification should be an aspiration and goal. No need to hand wring about semantics and create better sounding PC euphemisms, there are bigger things to spend time on. Be pragmatic and call a spade a spade. If you're so sensitive that being called a lower class shooter offends you, you're probably in the wrong sport and you're definitely hanging around with the wrong group of people.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good Grief- now folks wanting to be PC, Grow a set and if you're offended work your tail off to get those punches and move up. Hate to break it to some but there is only 1 HOA and I RU and that's all that really counts everybody else well sorry no participation ribbon/trophy

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
How about Kindergarten, First Grade, Second Grade...........seriously, registered sporting clays targets are big boy targets, its time they put their big boy pants on, stopped worrying about the small stuff and learn to hit the clay target. If they need instant gratification they should go back to playing video games where there are instant "do overs"

Steve

My question had nothing to do with any of that. It's simply about doing the right thing to make new shooters feel more comfortable. Being referred to as a "lower class shooter" doesn't seem like the best way to go about class identification.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
How about adult t-ball class? Everyone gets a participation trophy...

If you are in less than the highest class available, you are in a lower class. Improving your classification should be an aspiration and goal. No need to hand wring about semantics and create better sounding PC euphemisms, there are bigger things to spend time on. Be pragmatic and call a spade a spade. If you're so sensitive that being called a lower class shooter offends you, you're probably in the wrong sport and you're definitely hanging around with the wrong group of people.

This isn't about T-Ball, nor is it about getting a participation trophy. Or any Trophy.

I'm hardly a PC type of person. Matter of fact, I'm on the other end of the stick for the most part. But referring to another shooter as being "lower class" just doesn't have a good feel or sound to it.

At least to me, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:41 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Good Grief- now folks wanting to be PC, Grow a set and if you're offended work your tail off to get those punches and move up. Hate to break it to some but there is only 1 HOA and I RU and that's all that really counts everybody else well sorry no participation ribbon/trophy

Jerry,

Again, this isn't about HOA or RU or even DFL. And, I don't feel it's in the PC file, either. More like, the common sense arena.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mule Driver wrote:
hopper810 wrote:

Jerry,

Again, this isn't about HOA or RU or even DFL. And, I don't feel it's in the PC file, either. More like, the common sense arena.

OK Then how about Minor Leaguers? Like in baseball. :lol:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
I'm old and entered my first tournament last winter. I don't know what class I was even in but it would not even matter if I was in the "Z" class. I knew I would not win anything but had a good time and will try it again.
I guess when you reach advanced age your ego does not matter, you are just thankful you can still shoot.

I've been in the game for 35 years, and I'm entering your twilight zone as well.

It's more about having fun, being around friends, and enjoy those rare special days when you shoot well for me these days.

And like you, "what class" doesn't matter, other than maybe referring to it in a polite way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:

Interesting that you can't comprehend that this isn't about being first, or last.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Mule Driver wrote:
hopper810 wrote:

Jerry,

OK Then how about Minor Leaguers? Like in baseball. :lol:

OK, let me axe you 'sumptin.

How would a minor league player like being referred to as a "lower class" baseball player?

Does that sound right to you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next