ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New subgauge classes starting in january
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

NSCA National Delegates recently voted on two rule changes, and both were approved by a majority of the Delegates. Both rules will take effect on January 1, 2021 for the 2021 shoot year. The new rules and the vote count for each are:
Rule #1 – Sub-Gauge Classification

Creation of a separate Sub-Gauge Class System – Starting January 1, 2021, any sub-gauge event (defined as any event using a shotgun that is not 12-gauge and is smaller in diameter than 12-gauge) would have a separate class system. (This would be one class for all the sub-gauges smaller than 12-gauge, not a class for each gauge.)

To begin the new Sub-Gauge classes, ALL shooters would start one (1) class lower than their current 12-gauge class as of December 31, 2020, prior to the 2020 end-of-year review. Shooters cannot refuse the down-class; thus, there will be NO Master Class shooters in the Sub-Gauge classification to start the first year (2021). The punch system would be the same as with the current 12-gauge system.

In mid-January 2021, all shooters in the 12-gauge classes will go through a normal end-of-year review based on the 2020 shoot year. If the shooter gets down-classed in their 12-gauge class during the end-of-year review, they may refuse the down-class for the 12-gauge class ONLY. Nothing is changing for the 12-gauge classification process.

Yes – 94 votes (77.05%)

No – 28 votes (22.95%)
Rule #2 – Legacy Concurrent

A new concurrent category named Legacy Concurrent would be created for shooters 80+ years of age.

Yes – 112 votes (91.80%)

No – 10 votes (8.20%)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post subject: Re: New subgauge classes starting in january
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:33 pm 
Field Grade

So how would punches work combining all the different sub gauges into one system? If I shot a 28ga and only one other person shot a 28ga but 10 people shot the same course with 20ga and I got 2nd overall 1st in 28ga would I get the punch for the placement in 20ga or get hosed with no punches because only one other person shot a 28ga?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Good question for your NSCA National rep - I just printed what I saw in an email

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

It will work just like 12 ga. You can earn punches in FITASC, 5-stand, sporting clays, etc and they are all separate events. In the small gauges, it will be .410, 28 and 20 gauge plus small ga. FITASC, 5-stand, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Lacyb wrote:
So how would punches work combining all the different sub gauges into one system? If I shot a 28ga and only one other person shot a 28ga but 10 people shot the same course with 20ga and I got 2nd overall 1st in 28ga would I get the punch for the placement in 20ga or get hosed with no punches because only one other person shot a 28ga?

If it’s overlaid on same layout the menus for the various gauges should be different or seperate hoops in different spots

Not supposed to be the same target presentation. Two clubs I shoot at mostly offer sub gauges as I described. It works great and the targets will look very different

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Creation of a separate Sub-Gauge Class System – Starting January 1, 2021, any sub-gauge event (defined as any event using a shotgun that is not 12-gauge and is smaller in diameter than 12-gauge) would have a separate class system. (This would be one class for all the sub-gauges smaller than 12-gauge, not a class for each gauge.)

It is my understanding that punches will be earned in each gauge but then the punches are cumulative. In other words you could get 1 punch in each gauge for a total for that shoot of 3 punches. When your punch total reaches the level for a class change, you are moved up.
This makes sub-gauge a separate class no matter what gauge is shot. You will not be classed for each separate gauge you shoot.
I personally like that sub-gauge punches are not part of your totals for regular 12 gauge events. It makes the class system better reflect abilities to shoot tournament targets versus fluffy sub-gauge events designed for fun not competition.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 am 
Presentation Grade

the Rev wrote:
Quote:

It is my understanding that punches will be earned in each gauge but then the punches are cumulative. In other words you could get 1 punch in each gauge for a total for that shoot of 3 punches. When your punch total reaches the level for a class change, you are moved up.
This makes sub-gauge a separate class no matter what gauge is shot. You will not be classed for each separate gauge you shoot.
I personally like that sub-gauge punches are not part of your totals for regular 12 gauge events. It makes the class system better reflect abilities to shoot tournament targets versus fluffy sub-gauge events designed for fun not competition.

Yes and no, some people can't shoot certain sub gauges as well as they can other gauges in sub gauge, so you will essentially have guys "punch hunting" and only shooting maybe one sub gauge caliber and that's it, the NSCA basically did what we have now currently, but added the sub gauge to it. Also certain clubs throw very tough sub gauge targets while others don't. So unless you were to break down class by gauge specifically, it's no more accurate of someone's shooting ability then someone that shoots only fluff and doesn't take on the challenge of big boy targets and events.

I mean if you want to get nuts with classifying everyone, then why aren't the classes separated by the events, you could create a class and punch system for just fitasc, or just five stand, or just super sporting or then by gauge in that particular event, sub gauge fitasc, sub gauge five stand sub gauge sporting, sub gauge super sporting, etc etc etc.

As the joker once said "you want to get nuts........lets get nuts"

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"