ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilla questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Finally looking at getting a set of Pilla's but I have to say their product line could not be more confusing. I know I want Outlaws but that's about it. Do I want X6 or X7? I wear a 7 1/4 ball cap if that means anything. :D What is a good general lens?

Youtube

Post subject: Re: Pilla questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lenses are going to be specific to you. You have a smaller head and may benefit from the smaller frame (x7).

The best way to buy them is in a 3 lens set. I would suggest getting something for dark, light, and regular day lighting.

The # is how much light is let in through the lens and the letters are the color/coatings.

The ED and HC are very popular. Best thing for you to do is go to a large shoot and try some on and let the targets fly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I would have to ask what is it you are looking to gain with the new eye wear? Safety,better target visibility or a lighter wallet? I have owned the Outlaw X7 and the newest X7 with straight temples. I have shot in Oakley glasses for 20 years plus and can tell you the Pilla are a waste of good money. There are options out there if you just want top quality shooting glasses that don't break the bank. You don't need 1000.00 glasses to see targets and have glasses that are safe to shoot in. If money is not an issue and you want the Pilla just to say you have them by all means buy what you want. But they will not gain you one single target. For your size face i would bet the 7's would fit best. 6's would not allow me to pull my cap down as far as i wanted so sold the 6's and bought 7's. Better fit but still not as good as the old antique Oakleys.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LOVE my X7’s. If I lost them today, I’d have a replacement set ordered with overnight delivery. They are so much clearer than nost any other lenses, it feels like you’re cheating. And yes, they are stoopid expensive, but absolutely worth it to me.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was using Ranger Edges and was very pleased with them :) Thought humm tried the Pilla's and they didn't work for me so went through numerous lenses and no luck,sold um lost my butt :lol: And went back to the Rangers :) So if you can try before you buy :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:58 am 
Limited Edition

Hopefully you can try them before you purchase them. I tried the Pilla’s and didn’t like the way the fork style grip fit my fat head. I went back to the Ranger Classics. Also I’m not super careful with my glasses and Randolph Ranger replacement lenses are $45 compared to $280. Good luck in your decision.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:24 am 
Field Grade

If you damage a Pilla lens, any dealer will swap it out for a new one for around $100.
It’s still a chunk of money, but at least you’re not out everything if you drop them. I too am clumsy and this made the initial investment a little easier.

Rangers are great, I used them for several years, but in my experience, Pillas are much more clear. I use one lens 99% of the time. Buying one Outlaw X6 lense and frame was only around $500. It was an easier initial investment. I have since bought a second lens, but I have no use for more than that.

I’m sure Pilla could answer a lot of your questions, but a vendor that has helped me a lot is Mike at LM lenses. He travels to a lot of the big shoots and always answers the phone. Super helpful guy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Best advice is go to a dealer that will help you get what you NEED. A good dealer will work with you and get the correct products. I would never just pick a 3 lens Pilla set without a discussion with someone who is knowledgeable. lens that work well for my wife don't work worth a darn for me when I have tried. She has light eyes and I have dark green - it does make a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Dmaroon wrote:
If you damage a Pilla lens, any dealer will swap it out for a new one for around $100.
It’s still a chunk of money, but at least you’re not out everything if you drop them. I too am clumsy and this made the initial investment a little easier.

Rangers are great, I used them for several years, but in my experience, Pillas are much more clear. I use one lens 99% of the time. Buying one Outlaw X6 lense and frame was only around $500. It was an easier initial investment. I have since bought a second lens, but I have no use for more than that.

I’m sure Pilla could answer a lot of your questions, but a vendor that has helped me a lot is Mike at LM lenses. He travels to a lot of the big shoots and always answers the phone. Super helpful guy.

I bought direct from Pilla, that was a mistake. They are great at taking your money but will not answer my e-mails since. I’d buy the glasses again but only from a highly rated retailer. I have a lense that I’d like to swap out (and pay difference) but all I get is crickets from Pilla.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 pm 
Field Grade

Buy from a local dealer that will let you try things out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Like jack I agree way expensive but would buy again

I like the fork temple so everyone is different

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

the shooting community is totally split on Pilla, some guys swear by them, some guys say they are so-so some guys can't stand them, I tried a few pairs on, while they are nice, they don't scream "you have to buy me right now" $1,000 or more for eye glasses for shooting buys alot of flats and alot of entry fee's.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hopefully you can attend a shoot which has a Pilla vendor in attendance so you can try different options. I really thought I wanted the Outlaws until I tried them in both sizes. I ended up with the Panthers and they are everything I want in a set of shooting glasses. I have tried just about everything out there prior to trying the Pillas and there was always something I didn't like about each pair. I didn't want to pay that much for a set of glasses but I have had mine for about 6 years now and if something happened to them today, another set would be on the way very shortly. Best of luck with your choice.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

I never thought I'd own them but after trying a pair on and comparing to my Rangers the difference was night and day. The clarity of the Pilla lens's have to be seen to be appreciated.

I just added a 10CED lens to the collection, outstanding in full sun!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

MTR wrote:
Best advice is go to a dealer that will help you get what you NEED. A good dealer will work with you and get the correct products. I would never just pick a 3 lens Pilla set without a discussion with someone who is knowledgeable. lens that work well for my wife don't work worth a darn for me when I have tried. She has light eyes and I have dark green - it does make a difference.

This right here. Big investment, spend the time to get it right. This isn't a one size fits all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the replies guys. Took me a few hours but I think I mostly understand their product line now. Their website is garbage though if I'm honest. I'm going to try some tomorrow. For those that asked I have been wearing Oakley for years but I feel like their support and selection of products for the clay shooting community has been pretty bad for many years now. I have two sets of custom Mainlinks and while the frames don't really bother me I want to try something with less obstruction again. I know they have the Tombstone etc but I don't like those.

Youtube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good luck :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX