ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Question From Mike McAlpine
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I was talking to the editor doing my book and he ask me a question that I can't really answer so I am going to ask those of you who are interested in my book. He asked me if I wanted to use a spiral binder so the reader could lay the book flat when reading it or do I want to use a wrap around binder. This is the one that most books have. I can't answer this question so I am going to just ask all of you, Which one would you prefer? It makes me no difference. I just want what the most of the people who buy my book would prefer. I had always thought about that the book would have the wrap around binder but after Jeff, my editor asked this question, I have started to wonder about this. I agree the spiral binder would make it easier if to read if you wanted to lay it on a table. I don't know so what do you think?

Mike McAlpine

I started another post because I thought it would get your attention better. The other post is getting a lot of hits and reply's and some people might not look at it.

Post subject: Re: A Question From Mike McAlpine
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 am 
Crown Grade

This is strictly my thinking.

If the book has diagrams that you might refer to while setting up machines, then a spiral bound would be helpful. Otherwise, a wrap around binder would be fine.

You might ask your editor if there is any cost difference. You might as well maximize your profit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

^^^^^^^This^^^^^

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:50 am 

I like the thought of a spiral binder as well.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:57 am 
Presentation Grade

I would take dimensions, cost, and what painter* mentioned in consideration.

A glue-bound, larger book that's not too thick can be opened and flattened out easier than a smaller, thick one. I'm guessing a glue bind will be cheaper because it doesn't require punching and spiral binding but I'm not sure.

Spiral binds are nice though. Easier to write notes and refer to hands free.

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Either way, add a few blank pages for user notes ;)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Spiril would be my choice and for the reasons mentioned above :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Agree with spiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:29 pm 
Field Grade

When I look at my "library" of gun books I dont see one sprial bound book. No place to put title of book on back of a sprial bound book. If all books were sprial bound finding the one you are looking for on your book shelf would be a PITA. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have no strong opinion either way. However, this LINK discusses the costs and qualities of the various options. I found it interesting.

http://blog.ironmarkusa.com/4-types-book-binding

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I personally like the spiral bound book approach for my own use, but I fear it will degrade the stature of the book by making it look self-published or homemade. I feel like having it hard cover bound will give the book the aura of being the real thing and playing with the big boys. My advice is to avoid the spiral binding and go all in for the hard cover binding.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:32 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks guys,

I have agreed which with all of these comments. Lets keep them coming. I might publish both kinds so all of you can get what you want. I think the spiral would look more like a manual which was not my idea for a book. Yes, they are easy to fold flat but it does take away from the idea of this being a book that I hope will last the times. I will look at all of the options and their cost and give you some idea as to what the cost will be on each one.

Yes, I hope to make some money with the book but I also want to help the sport and quality of our targets. I understand that a book on target setting will not have as much of a market as a book on shooting. I plan to write another book on shooting but the target setting book will have a lot of information that Will help our shooters too.

I also, will be writing a book on teaching instructors and coaches. Especially the youth coaches. I believe this kind of book will have a very positive effect on our future shooters and coaches. This sound a lot like ego but I would like to be remembered in the sport and for my contributions. This might sound like ego and I guess it could be but these books could help future generations enjoy the clay target sports. Forgive me if you think this my ego talking. I don't mean it that way.

Mike McAlpine

We are getting closes to finishing every day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

{hs# :) {hs# Thanks Mike

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is nothing wrong with strutting your stuff. Knowing what you have to offer the sport of the first step towards sharing your knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

I echo the sentiments above-

Mike- Can you add some drawings with your favorite Fitasc layouts- easy and hard ones.

You've probably already considered this but I wanted to ask..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:06 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

moish, hopper and chush,

As always, I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I guess I am guilty of strutting my stuff. The only reason I do this is to market myself to the new shooters who have never heard of me. I appreciate what you said. Chush, There are 25 drawing of tricky presentations in the sporting clays section. These are some of the ones I set and other setters created.

I think I still have a lot of my sketch books from over the years. I will look through some of these and take a few of the best and add them in the section about FITASC. I have tried to make this part of my book to be more than technical drawings. I have added in a lot of text that describes where and why I set these sketches of presentations came from. I have tried to add a little humor into the text to make it lighter reading and not just the physics of the presentation. I know it must sound funny to use the word physics to describe a pair of targets but it is a part of setting targets.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine

By the way my friend Lanny Bassham set me a message today and asked me to get a hold of him. Lanny helped me a lot with my mental game over the years and I asked him for his permission to used these things in my manuals. I gave him full credit for this. He once told me that I was the only person that ever asked him for permission to use some of his things in my shooting manual. I have always given my students a manual about the things we talked in my different classes. Lanny is one of the greatest mental coaches in all shooting as well as other sports. If you ever need help with your mental game, Lanny is the one to see. All of the top shooters that I know have used him.

I almost for got, I will have plenty of blank pages in my book for notes. I have always encouraged my students to take notes. Sometimes in my classes we cover a lot of things. I want my students to remember the things that really impressed them or something that turned on the light bulb in their mind.

Well here I go again talking (writing) too much. LOL rest your eyes now. :lol:

Please excuse some of the typos. I have had a long day and really don't need to be writing anything.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:06 am 
Limited Edition

I've published a history book before, and selected perfect bound since the run was about 250 copies of 150 pages, and the book was to be given away within a local community.

I would believe if you are pricing the book over $25, it almost HAS to be case bound, or the reader will not appreciate why it's priced high.

I find most spiral bound books easily tear pages at the holes with heavy use (perhaps that could be minimized with heavy or plastic coated paper). Plastic spirals break as they age. Wire spirals get smashed.

If you are real interested in having this treated as a reference book "for the ages", you want a general life of at least 50 years. Only case bound gets to that age gracefully.

If your book will have lots of how-to diagrams and check lists, you might consider including a downloadable work book of those diagrams and lists. Folks then can print out and mark up their "homework"

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lots of good advice here Mike. Most of us are just chomping at the bit to get that book! :) however it is bound.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503