ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Question? Mike McAlpine's Book - What Kind of pr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

birdshooter1 wrote:
JacksBack wrote:
internet forum answerers are going to have extremely little insight into the book publishing business...

You might be surprised.

I stand corrected. You Sir, just won the slam dunk contest. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:48 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jack,

You are exactly right. I was just trying to get a feel of what some people expected to pay for the book. I am now finished posting about my book. Thanks for the input.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Part of the question has to be who is the intended customer for the book? Text books and professional books tend to be priced much higher than books for the general public. Look at some professional organizations and the pricing of the books they distribute.

I am an occasional shooter. I sorta know who Mike Alpine is from this forum only, I have no need for such a book. But... I might buy it for $30 or so just to explore what target setting is. Would be more likely to buy it for $20 to $25 on Kindle. I am basing that on the books I have bought about guns and shooting in the last 5 years or so. I think I have about 600 titles on my Kindle so I do like and buy a lot of books.

If I was going to a target setting workshop I would expect to pay $50 or so for a book.

Even though I like Brownings I refused to pay $300 for a book.

Last edited by Bill M. on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
I made a mistake with bird. He emailed me and told me that it was not his intention to offend me. bird as I told you in my email back to you, I have deleted my reply and again I am sorry for making it. {hs#

Mike McAlpine

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Years of what to do and what not to do. Priceless I would think. You are going to learn from Mike lessons he saw the need to document.
If you took a course and wrote down as many notes as possible. I would guess it wouldn't cover everything in this book. I agree nothing replaces an hands on 2 or 3 day course. Those range from $695 to $1449.
Determining the price point can be trying. A lifetime of works and knowledge shouldn't net someone just a few dollars. Price base on real value to a course target setter may put the price out of reach and only a few copies would sell. I have no problem paying a shooting instructor $100 a hour for a lesson. I would speculate what Mike has in the book he would have a hard time showing someone in a few hours. Would he sell a lot of books for $300? I would buy one and am sure others would too, but it would be limited. Would he sell a whole lot more closer to the $100 mark? Of course it is supply and demand.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:45 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Jim for your reply. I can assure everyone I will NOT be Charging $300.00 for my book. I have never even considered even $100.00. My first thoughts were about $65.00. Considering the cost of production and the amout of my time putting this book together, I though this was a reasonable price. I have asked these questions to better understand what people thought, I am a salesman and marketer by trade and I always do research on any endeavor.

I mentioned (maybe on this forum) that I was considering different bindings. For example, those who want a hard copy binding can purchase one. I will base the price on the cost of this type of book. For the target setters, who will be using this book in the field, a spiral binding that will lay flat and that will have extra blank pages for notes seems to be a better idea. Then for most of the readers a wrap around glued binding would in my opinion, be the best.

All of the different types of bindings will have a different cost. I understand the old saying "when you try to please everyone you fail." Well, in this this case, I do not think this. I think I will be successful. My plan is to make the same profit margin on each type of binding. This way no one loses. and that includes me.

Jim was right when he mentioned a lifetime of work, ideas and proving to myself the best way to set targets. Also, I want to help the shooters who understand target reading and being able to figure what is going on with a presentation should be worth; a little more than just a technical and boring read. I want this book to be full of all kinds of information that I personally knows works. Something that I have tried and have seen the results myself.

This book is meant to help all target setters, new and old to create better courses. Ones that are challenging yet balanced; something for every shooter at their tournament. I want to challenge the best shooters, not compete with them. This is not my job. My job to to test these shooter's ability and not their luck or vision. On the other side, I want to set presentations that will help the newer shooter. I do this by leaving the muzzle in the right place for the next bird. I also try to keep the lines steady a so there is not tricks here. I believe that by doing so, I can build these shooters confidence and encourage them to keep working on their game. I think these things will help our sport start to grow again.

Thank you,

Mike McAlpine

"In The Mind of A Target Setter" the book's name.

Last edited by Mike McAlpine on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Excellent title! {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

painter* wrote:
Excellent title! {hs#

+5 :D

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

Price sounds right. Let us know when we can order.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:18 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

blade,

Will do, thanks for your reply.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:22 am 
Diamond Grade

At least shooters that buy Mikes book can rest assured that they are getting the real deal. Over the years Mike has proved that he can not only talk the talk, he can walk the walk. Priceless. Experience and expertise. It's a valuable commodity in today's World. Well done with the book Mike, I can't wait to read it!

Pete.

www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:55 am 
Tournament Grade

pete blakeley wrote:
At least shooters that buy Mikes book can rest assured that they are getting the real deal. Over the years Mike has proved that he can not only talk the talk, he can walk the walk. Priceless. Experience and expertise. It's a valuable commodity in today's World. Well done with the book Mike, I can't wait to read it!

Pete.

http://www.peteblakeley.com

Pete, wanted to mention your book &DVD on seeing leads helped me immensely

And Mike, looking forward to your book
By the way Vance Barnes said to tell you hello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

fal777 Thanks for that, I really appreciate it. I had another two students punch into Master recently and it makes me very proud when I get feedback from them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:51 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pete, You should be proud. I was always very proud of my students when they reached their goal. I was at the Silver Leaf Sporting Clay range many years ago. This range was outside of Oklahoma City and David and his lovely wife owned and operated it. I held many schools there over the years. My first one was very early in the sport. Maybe around 2000. I had all kinds of shooters, Men, Women and Women. They were all hungry to learn. When I finished the school, the Oklahoma state shoot was about a month away. When I came back for another school, David told me that all of the classes were won by my students. I was super proud of all of them. I occasionally hear from many of these people.

Mike McAlpine

Also,

David was a great target setter. I told Mike Hampton Sr about-him and he became a regular setter at nationals. He may have set the Nationals more times that I did.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi Mike, I started coaching SC and setting targets around 1975 and I still love it, in fact me and Simon Hurley from Mid West Clay Sports installed another course yesterday at a private location here in Texas...... in 107 degrees! It's a bit different to Scotland! Back then there were hardly any automatic machines and the creme de la creme machine was the "Clay Sport Royal" The machine had a one way bearing, fancy cocking handle and two stainless steel clips for holding the targets in place. It would throw a pair of standard targets 120 yards! I have a picture of one and I will dig it out e mail it to you with some other stuff.

Pete.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:00 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pete,

That is funny because My club bought 15 of these in 1986. Another man and I went all over the sporting course at SACA and put pipe stems up where we could set the bases that we built and put on the machines on . We put locking T handles on the bases to lock the machines in place. These machines were the best hand set machines I have every used. When the Lincoln traps came out they were also great. Old Rod Shyda built these machines. I sold all of the Clay Sport machines and bases to Abilene Trap and Skeet club In Abilene, Texas about 100 mile North of us. They may still have them. I think they may still in the box in our storage trailer at the club.

I guess we were both great machine buyers. LOL

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mike, that's really cool. I also had two Bowman pedal traps that you sat on and cocked with your foot and a "flying squirrel." A trapper would roll a rabbit target down a series of ramps and the "squirrel" would jump from tree to tree! Great target and really tough to hit. Happy days indeed! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m all in one the book spiral bound a couple of copies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have sent the final text of my book to my editor. The last few chapters are, Super Sporting, Small Gauge, and Games. These may not have sketches because I have already mentioned about setting all of the disciplines. These chapters are very short.

Mike McAlpine

As soon as it quits raining (not too soon I hope. We are very dry here) I will take credit for the rain. Last week, I killed a rattlesnake in one of my dog kennels. Growing up in this part of Texas we have a solution to bring the in rain. When we kill a snake, we hang it up in a mesquite tree. It will normally rain with in a week. It has been 6 days since I killed this snake.

Now before you laugh at me (It's okay to laugh for you no snake people up North) I think the reason this works.(I have never missed with it) is that snakes probably move around and feed right before a rain. I don't know this for a fact but I know that in the last 35 years, I have hung a many snakes up in a tree and it has always rained in a week. I once hung five snakes in a tree (Got them out of a den) at the same time and we had a flood that completely filled our lakes. The only problem that time is that my dad had water in his garage about three feet deep. I had to help him drag out all of the wet stuff. (25 sheets of Sheet Rock) and haul it to the dump. It was a good thing that I was about 30 years old or he would have whipped my A$$. Now I hang only one snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:56 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I forgot something, To all of my friends in California, You might think about getting a few snake environmentalist and get them to hang a few snakes around the fires. I know all of you are seeing parts of your great state burn up. I know you need the rain. Seriously, I really feel for you guys. While not on the same level, we have BIG grass fires during dry times in my part of Texas. About 40 years ago, I remember going to a small town 45 miles south of San Angelo and getting my 85 year old grandmother and bringing he home to my house. That fire burned over 500 sections (640 acres to a section) Most of my family lost all of their out buildings on their ranches, plus man oil wells and and tank batterys caught fire. The worst part of the whole deal was there was no grass left for the wildlife, livestock and cattle, sheep, and goats to get through the winter. Farmers and ranchers from all over the country set truckloads of hay and other feed to us so we could make it through the winter. A few years later these same people had a bad drought so we sent them hay and feed to help them. It's too bad our country couldn't help each other out like this. This election could start another civil war. This is what I read a few minutes ago. Of course, I told my wife this could happen in march. Scares the you no what out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya'll take care hear. Better times are hopefully right over the horizon. {hs#