ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let’s talk sub gauge tubes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Like it says let’s talk tubes. What is your preference for chokes in the carrier/12ga barrel? I am just getting into this side and would like to hear some opinions.

Post subject: Re: Let’s talk sub gauge tubes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

Carrier barrels don't have chokes. The tubes inserted into them do. Carrier barrels are slimmed down to reduce weight and carry your tubes. Once converted to a carrier barrel that barrel can never be used for anything else. The purpose of carrier barrels is to make your gun as close as possible to the same feel as your 12 gauge gun when using tubes. So, if you still wish to shoot 12 gauge and sub gauge you will need a 12 gauge barrel, carrier barrel and tubes. Big investment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:44 am 
Limited Edition

How about Sidekicks? I've thought about getting some in 28 for my K80. Anyone have opinions about those?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Lt0026 thanks for the info on carrier barrels I did not realize that there were no chokes. So if using your standard barrel what chokes would be better open or tight?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:03 am 
Presentation Grade

hoytshooter wrote:
Lt0026 thanks for the info on carrier barrels I did not realize that there were no chokes. So if using your standard barrel what chokes would be better open or tight?

Open. That way, if you're a skeet shooter, you won't have to change chokes to shoot a 12 gauge event.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 am 
Crown Grade

I have found the best option is Briley Ultralite fitted tubes if you want to get serious. You will need to send in your gun, 6-8 weeks. When you buy the tubes they allow for some chokes as part of the purchase. Use either cylinder or skeet chokes in your barrel to allow for a tight fit of the tubes in your barrel. The only place chokes have any impact on actual shooting are the ones in the full length tubes. IC and Mod for me. Sidekicks are fine for skeet targets in 20 gauge. Marginal for a real sub gauge course. Or just get Ultralights non fitted and avoid sending in your gun. Check out the Briley site.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:41 am 
Crown Grade

There is a pretty good video on the Briley web page about installing fitted tubes. It will also answer a lot of the questions you have. They can fit the tubes to whatever chokes you send them. Most folks use two skeet. It doesn't really matter, but you have to use the same choke they were fitted with.

Ultralight fitted tubes will add about 14 ounces to your gun. I've had companion (non fitted) tubes and fitted tubes. The fitted tubes are definitely better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In order of preference and performance:

Dedicated carrier: 12ga barrel lightened and not shootable as a 12, total weight with tubes is same as your shootable 12, the tubes have their own chokes. Obviously the most expensive option because of the carrier barrel.

Full tubes in a regular barrel: Usually need Sk or Cyl in only as support for the front of the tube, anything tighter and the tube end may bind or jam. Obviously heavier by the weight of the tubes --about 12-15 oz per pair-- and again, tubes have their own chokes.

Shorty inserts in 12 barrels: These use the 12ga choke, but:
>generally the 20 ga needs about one more choke than the 12, but you really never get more than about an irregular LM pattern from them at best;
>the 28 needs more like 2 and never gets much tighter than about IC and again a pretty spotty pattern, but marginally usable;
>the 410 never changes at all much past a Sk pattern and again is spotty, and that's with any choke in the 12.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Sidekick 2.0s are a great place to start. Won several sub events at large shoots including GA State this year with them. I don’t use the .410 except to play around at the local ranges. The only reason I see to go the carrier barrel route is if you’re going to shoot registered skeet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

The problem with carrier barrels is you need to find another barrel for the gun to convert. Some (not all) gun companies don't sell just barrels. As Jack said the carrier barrel route is very expensive. Especially in all three gauges. The shooters with dedicated sub gauge barrels or with full length tubes will get the best results in the long run, all things being equal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
The problem with carrier barrels is you need to find another barrel for the gun to convert. Some (not all) gun companies don't sell just barrels. As Jack said the carrier barrel route is very expensive. Especially in all three gauges. The shooters with dedicated sub gauge barrels or with full length tubes will get the best results in the long run, all things being equal.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but you only need one carrier barrel to have all three gauges of tubes added. The big expense is the barrel.

I doubt you can get a spare barrel to make a carrier barrel for a Yildiz ProStar. If you can, the cost of the barrel would be the determining factor to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Actually spare barrels are not hard to get for the Prostar. They are 1600 To 1750 for the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:17 am 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but you only need one carrier barrel to have all three gauges of tubes added. The big expense is the barrel.

I doubt you can get a spare barrel to make a carrier barrel for a Yildiz ProStar. If you can, the cost of the barrel would be the determining factor to me.

Shipping back and forth (?), carrier barrel (?), barrel conversion ($595.00), 3 sets of tubes if you want all gauges ($750.00 X3) and trigger work ($140.00) to make .410 work is a big number. Then you are also without a gun for a long period.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:01 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
drawdc wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Shipping back and forth (?), carrier barrel (?), barrel conversion ($595.00), 3 sets of tubes if you want all gauges ($750.00 X3) and trigger work ($140.00) to make .410 work is a big number. Then you are also without a gun for a long period.

I hear you. The full set of Ultralight fitted tubes is $1895, but close enough. The Yildiz barrels are very reasonable. You are looking at around $4500 total and 4 to 6 weeks without the gun. It depends on how much you will shoot it to determine if it's worth it. But if you want to do it right, that's the way to go.

For perspective, I thought my Blaser barrels were a pretty good deal. They have gone up a little but still can be had for around $3,000. $9K for a set of 3. A single Kreighoff barrel is over $6,000.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

I just picked up a Beretta A400 xcel 20 gauge 30 inch barrels for $1100 like new. Added Coles trigger job and a pound. I'm liking the dedicated gun better than any tubes I had in the O/U. And no mess changing tubes. And I have a backup gun if needed. Extra bonus is I can shoot any 20 gauge shell without the worry of a tube splitting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:17 pm 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
I just picked up a Beretta A400 xcel 20 gauge 30 inch barrels for $1100 like new. Added Coles trigger job and a pound. I'm liking the dedicated gun better than any tubes I had in the O/U. And no mess changing tubes. And I have a backup gun if needed. Extra bonus is I can shoot any 20 gauge shell without the worry of a tube splitting.

That is an option. I've never had a tube split but it does happen. I have seen as many broken polymer sleeves on A400s as I have seen split tubes, and I think the A400 is a fine gun.

Some of us shoot better with the same frame, some of us don't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Here is link to a discussion on Sidekicks

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 1&t=508910

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:10 pm 
Crown Grade

I have used both models of Sidekicks. They run filthy. The receiver gets really dirty with blow back. So much that you may need to do a quick clean if you change tubes to another gauge or go back to 12 gauge. Especially after 100 rounds. They are an economical solution if you can't afford full length tubes. Performance wise they can't compete with sub gauge barrels or any type of full length tube set.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

hoytshooter wrote:
Like it says let’s talk tubes. What is your preference for chokes in the carrier/12ga barrel? I am just getting into this side and would like to hear some opinions.

I just remembered you said something about getting a punch in 28 gauge with the Yildiz. I'm a little confused why you are asking if you have tubes already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

"That is an option. I've never had a tube split but it does happen. I have seen as many broken polymer sleeves on A400s as I have seen split tubes, and I think the A400 is a fine gun."

Briley currently has a recall for .410 tubes splitting that were made between May 2019 and May 2020. https://www.briley.com/c-1227-tube-set-recall.aspx