It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Let’s talk sub gauge tubes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
drawdc wrote:
lt0026 wrote:
I just picked up a Beretta A400 xcel 20 gauge 30 inch barrels for $1100 like new. Added Coles trigger job and a pound. I'm liking the dedicated gun better than any tubes I had in the O/U. And no mess changing tubes. And I have a backup gun if needed. Extra bonus is I can shoot any 20 gauge shell without the worry of a tube splitting.

"That is an option. I've never had a tube split but it does happen. I have seen as many broken polymer sleeves on A400s as I have seen split tubes, and I think the A400 is a fine gun."

Briley currently has a recall for .410 tubes splitting that were made between May 2019 and May 2020. https://www.briley.com/c-1227-tube-set-recall.aspx

I said it happens. Briley is repairing them at no cost.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Drawdc I did get a punch in 28 gauge. With my sons tubes not mine. Anyone running the ultimate ultra lite tubes from Briley? How much better are these over the regular ultra lites.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

hoytshooter wrote:
Drawdc I did get a punch in 28 gauge. With my sons tubes not mine. Anyone running the ultimate ultra lite tubes from Briley? How much better are these over the regular ultra lites.

Got you. Good thing they fit.

The Ultimate tubes don't do much for you. I think about 90% of the tube sets they make are regular Ultralites.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:11 am 
Presentation Grade

I've had Briley fitted tubes before and currently have a set of Ultralite Companions. IIRC, my fitted tubes were better matched in weight and were easier to put in and take out. Those were the only advantages. They're not swappable unless you just happen to have two barrels of identical dimensions (which is probably rare, especially across brands).
My Ultralite Companions take a few more whacks to seat in the barrel and knock out, but they work fine. I've been able to use them in a Perazzi MT6, MX3 Special, a Zoli Kronos, and a Beretta White Onyx Sporting. I've noticed that the muzzle ends of my Ultralite Companions are slightly different in diameter between the 20ga ones and the .410 and 28ga ones. When I use the .410 and 28ga ones, I install full chokes (0.040) to get a tight fit at the muzzle end with minimal movement. When I use 20ga, I install skeet chokes (0.005) to get a tight fit at the muzzle. I've heard some folks just use skeet chokes and just wrap plumbers tape around the ends of the tubes to get a tight fit, and that would've been a cheaper way to do the same thing. As I have multiple shotguns, I prefer the Companions over Fitted. If you ever think you might want to resell the tubes, Companions hold their value *much* better than Fitted. Basically, if you get a set of fitted tubes, if you ever want to resell them, you might as well sell the barrel with them.

I'm not using a carrier barrel because I'm too cheap to spend the cash on another barrel.

I've also got a set of Sidekick 2.0s for messing around. At skeet distances, 20ga works fine, 28ga, I put in IC and LM chokes, and .410 I put in Full chokes. I'm sure the .410 patterns aren't nearly as even as the full-length tubes. However, I'm currently only an 80.5% shooter in .410, but I haven't noticed any difference in the number of targets I'm hitting using the Sidekick 2.0s in skeet...definitely wouldn't want to use them in sporting clays though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:56 am 
Presentation Grade

I'm using a set of side kick's 2.0 tubes in my 692, I have discovered that if you just go up one choke tighter from what you normally shoot, you will be good and you will get good breaks. I generally always shoot two U2's, so with my tubes I shoot 2 U3's.

I only have the 20 gauge tubes and they are a blast to shoot, I've enjoyed them, and I'm learning how to shoot them. I actually got some of the best breaks and performance from 1250 FPS 8's in 7/8th oz. Fiocchi shooting dynamics.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:30 am 
Crown Grade

I have shot the 2.0's in 20 gauge. My receiver and the tubes were a mess after 100 rounds. The gun choke tubes M/M looked just like they did (clean) when I put them in. No evidence of anything touching the inside of the chokes. Unlike when I shot 12 gauge. I would question the affect of chokes on sidekicks. Would need to see the difference between cylinder and the tight chokes in the gun on paper. My gun had .735 bores. I would like to see the difference on paper chokes (C thru IM) have when shooting Sidekicks.

Last edited by lt0026 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the "Ultimate UL" tubes in my carrier barrel. I have won a few larger shoot sub events with both the 20 and 28 -- I don't shoot the 410 except for fun. The only difference over regular UL's seems to be the straight rifling. I have not shot the two side-by-side to compare directly, but can say the Ultimates do pattern and perform exceptionally well. In my case, I significantly preferred them to a set of dedicated sub barrels I also had (and have since sold). YMMV

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...