ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Krieghoff question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Guys I have been shooting a Caesar for the last 4 years or so. I am not unhappy with my current gun but I have found a pretty good deal on a used K80. My problem is I am left handed and there are no left handed K80 near me to hold. I would really like to handle a K80 before pulling the trigger but it is looking like that is not an option. Has anyone owned both and shot both that could give me some idea of the differences? I really don't want to start a thread about what gun is superior or not. I hava already formed my own opinion about that. I am asking more about fit and feel.

NSCA #653662 B Class shooter
Caesar Guerini Magnus Sporting
"Left hand shooter, I guess I am in the right state of mind"

Post subject: Re: Krieghoff question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:01 am 
Presentation Grade

I switched from a CG Ascent to Krieghoff. Both were 12 gauge, 32” guns. The Krieghoff was a K80 flat rib Sporter with the #3 stock. The K-gun felt a bit more “slab sided” for a short while ... i.e., less round. Since then I bought two more Krieghoffs ... another Sporter and the lighter Parcours model. I still have the CG Ascent but it’s not been out of the safe in 3 years. I found the transition very easy ... and quick.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:31 am 
Diamond Grade

The neutral #3 stock from around ‘12 or earlier may work well for you. Where are you located? Perhaps someone has one near you can try.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm not a Krieghoff hater as I have a Krieghoff trap gun, however, when I shot my friends K80 I wasn't crazy about it. It was very heavy and didn't handle well for me. It didn't handle well for my friend either as he sold it and bought a Blaser F3. He did eventually buy a K20 that he likes a lot. It's a very personal thing, some love them, some not so much. I wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money and switching from a gun you like to one without first shooting it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am a big 6'-6", 250, left handed shooter and shoot Krieghoff with custom LH stocks, lots of cast and a big palm swell -- IMHO it is sporting nirvana *for me*.

I have shot a couple of my friends Zoli's and like them a lot, prefer the way they feel to Perazzi for example. If --and more likely when-- I get to the point where I need a little lighter and more dynamic gun, the Zoli will be high on my list. I think both Zoli and CG offer a lot of gun for the money.

In 32" flat-rib sporter config, you're going to find the Zoli more dynamic (easier to get moving) and the K smoother on the swing (nicer on long targets). Benefits and issues with each, and there is no perfect gun for everybody so it's a personal choice and preference.

That said, a K80 with a 32" parcours barrel is probably even more dynamic than a stock Zoli. My point here is there are a LOT of barrel configs available for K, and they are very easy to fit up, most newer barrels and receivers are plug and play cross compatible, so you can get to pretty much combine to any "feel" you want.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tell you what I love the std K80 but after finally figuring out my k20 parcours my mind is open to the idea of the K80 parcours. Not sure I’d switch as I love the smooth swing of the std gun but that small bore parcours is pretty darned fast once you figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:59 am 
Field Grade

Cooper,

Give Paxton a call. He probably can put a left hander together for you to try. Would be well worth the little money for you to determine if you like.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Who is Paxton? They guy in Texas? If so, I appreciate the thought but I am in Va.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cooper4141 wrote:
Who is Paxton? They guy in Texas? If so, I appreciate the thought but I am in Va.

You can test drive any of Roberts used guns and they will ship the gun to your local FFL,give them a call next week and see if they can help/fix you up :) Or give Kimble a call at Krigeoff I "think" they have a similar program.

http://www.paxtonarms.com/
http://www.halkguns.com/

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Cooper if you ever get to the Md shore to shoot and I’m free you’re welcome to try mine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Cooper4141 wrote:

You can test drive any of Roberts used guns and they will ship the gun to your local FFL,give them a call next week and see if they can help/fix you up :) Or give Kimble a call at Krigeoff I "think" they have a similar program.

DuPont in Vero Beach will do that as well

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:56 am 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
Cooper4141 wrote:

DuPont in Vero Beach will do that as well

I bought mine from Kimble DuPont. Great service.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have bought a number off Guns from Robert Paxton. Always a pleasure dealing with. Although I live in New York, when I bought my most recent Krieghoff, Robert set me up with the people in Ottsville and though he is in Dallas, I went to Ottsville and picked everything, gun, wood etc.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

rkittine wrote:
I have bought a number off Guns from Robert Paxton. Always a pleasure dealing with. Although I live in New York, when I bought my most recent Krieghoff, Robert set me up with the people in Ottsville and though he is in Dallas, I went to Ottsville and picked everything, gun, wood etc.

Bob

Bob,

Can one take delivery at Ottsville of a gun sold by Paxton? I’ve picked up and had barrels fitted there, but not complete guns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

You cannot. Ottsville wants it to go through the dealer physically.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
Cooper if you ever get to the Md shore to shoot and I’m free you’re welcome to try mine.

I appreciate the offer. If I can't get my hands on one I may have to try to make that happen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

No problem at all.

Re Paxton he will indeed send you a used gun with a no obligation try period of a few days HOWEVER to be fair the idea is that it's a gun you intend to buy barring any issues. I did this with Robert and had to wait a while before the right used gun turned up where i could honestly say 'i'm buying this if it fits'. So in that sense it's not a demo program. I THINK the Dupont program is indeed a demo program however it is a mighty expensive one!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Your question was if anyone had owned a CG and K80. I've owned 2 CG's and 3 Krieghoffs. Hands down,...Krieghoff if you can get past the price point. If you can't buy new, buy used. After you get past it, you will not look back. The balance, triggers,recoil, options, are so far superior to CG's. I would call Chris Maest at Clay Target Sports in Princeton NJ. He has left hand stocks and he will put on any configuration of barrels,etc. I started with a hi rib Prosport barrel and now I've converted to Parcours and love it. Funny thing... I bought a CG Maxum used from a guy and he knew I was relatively new to the Sporting Clays at the time. He said that by time all was said and done that I would be shooting a Krieghoff. He was right and there is no comparison!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
No problem at all.

Re Paxton he will indeed send you a used gun with a no obligation try period of a few days HOWEVER to be fair the idea is that it's a gun you intend to buy barring any issues. I did this with Robert and had to wait a while before the right used gun turned up where i could honestly say 'i'm buying this if it fits'. So in that sense it's not a demo program. I THINK the Dupont program is indeed a demo program however it is a mighty expensive one!

From their website:

Quote:
Test Drive Program:

For the demo process, submit a “Test Drive” application to duPONT/KRIEGHOFF. This form will specify the make, model, barrel, and stock that the shooter would like to “Test Drive.” Prior to sending the gun, duPONT/KRIEGHOFF will run a credit check on the shooter applying for the demo shotgun. The credit check process also verifies the customer’s ability to take advantage of our in-house finance program. A minimum credit score of 700 is required.

For a $500 demo fee, duPONT/KRIEGHOFF will send a pre-owned shotgun that meets the shooter’s specifications, to the closest degree possible. We will ship the shotgun to your local FFL holder, who will receive the gun and then transfer it to you in accordance with the laws of your state. You can demo the gun for up to 3 weeks at your local gun club to make your evaluation.

The demo fee covers the shipping and insurance of the gun to the FFL holder, and the return shipping and insurance of the gun back to duPONT/KRIEGHOFF. A return label will be included with the gun, and after the three week demo period has expired, we will arrange for UPS pick up of the demo shotgun.

In some instances, a pre-owned gun can be configured for a shooter who would like to purchase a pre-owned shotgun. If after the demo period the pre-owned gun has met or exceeded expectations, and the customer wishes to purchase this gun, the $500 will be credited against the transaction. If the gun is not as desired, it can be returned with the enclosed return label.

duPONT/KRIEGHOFF will credit the $500 demo fee against the purchase of any new or pre-owned shotgun made within 3 months of the demo period.

It’s that easy!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin