ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting clays push cart ideas
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Want to build a shooting cart out of a push golf cart or jogging baby stroller.
Does anyone have ideas, or pics of conversions you have done?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Sporting clays push cart ideas
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=453885

here's an old thread with mine; I still haven't figured out how to use Imgur for photos

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Wonderful idea, but really the Rugged Gear brand of carts are so good and not outrageously priced, doing anything else just didn’t make any sense to ME. I understand the desire to save a few bucks and also the satisfaction of DIY. Been there, done that with other things. But I’m telling you the off-the-shelf ones are superb. Full of valuable features, well built, and fairly priced. My only complaint is I wanted blue and only green was available. How’s that for nit picking?

If you should change your mind and decide to go with a Rugged Gear, the best deals are from the manufacturer, not the resellers. Actually there are three reseller online stores that are all actually the same company. Their prices aren’t as good as direct from Rugged Gear.

If you decide to build your own, I’m pretty sure the best bet is to start with a Bob brand stroller or similar and buy the brackets and cloth dressing for the frame from Rugged Gear. They sell all the parts.

Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:16 am 
Crown Grade

Rugged gear is a nice cart. That said, I went with my 3-wheeler because, when folded, it fit in the back of my MINI and I could push it with one finger..................

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 am 
Tournament Grade

my Rugged Gear cart is an older one and the nosewheel does not pivot. works ok but if you are planning to build or buy, I suggest getting the pivoting front wheel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Unless your usual courses are built like a golf course do not use a golf pushcart, they just are not great on rough irregular surfaces.

Here is a pic of mine without the wheels on. I bought the gun holders from the rugged gear site along with the covers.

One important tip if you go this route, make absolutely sure that the guns are held inside of the wheelbase of your cart, otherwise you risk tipping it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 am 
Field Grade

Someone at a local club sells these, there seems to be an endless supply. Here is a pic, basically two 2x4, with lined pipe caps on the bottom, and gun clamps up top.

I tried a rental 'rugged gear cart' once and was surprised at how loose and sloppy it felt.

This Bob stroller is much tighter.

I also would like to see or hear from someone using the Gun Stroller brand.ImageImageImage

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

rans wrote:
my Rugged Gear cart is an older one and the nosewheel does not pivot. works ok but if you are planning to build or buy, I suggest getting the pivoting front wheel.

Just making sure you know that on the new ones there is a pivot lock out. You can use the cart either with or without pivot. Probably not, but I am wondering whether yours could pivot but is just locked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rockett0 wrote:
Someone at a local club sells these, there seems to be an endless supply. Here is a pic, basically two 2x4, with lined pipe caps on the bottom, and gun clamps up top.

I tried a rental 'rugged gear cart' once and was surprised at how loose and sloppy it felt.

This Bob stroller is much tighter.

I also would like to see or hear from someone using the Gun Stroller brand.ImageImageImage

Sent using Tapatalk

Older RG carts especially rental ones can suffer from the wear and tear. My new one is quite tight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
rans wrote:

Just making sure you know that on the new ones there is a pivot lock out. You can use the cart either with or without pivot. Probably not, but I am wondering whether yours could pivot but is just locked.

thanks for the comment, but no, it has the forks like a bicycle.....no chance of swivel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:31 pm 
Field Grade

[/quote]
Older RG carts especially rental ones can suffer from the wear and tear. My new one is quite tight.[/quote]

That is good to hear!

My biggest complaint with the home grown is that they are not designed to carry all the accessories. Something made for purpose would be nice.

So I may in the future get a Rugged Gear or a gun-stroller brand.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rockett0 wrote:

Older RG carts especially rental ones can suffer from the wear and tear. My new one is quite tight.[/quote]

That is good to hear!

My biggest complaint with the home grown is that they are not designed to carry all the accessories. Something made for purpose would be nice.

So I may in the future get a Rugged Gear or a gun-stroller brand.[/quote]
Yeah, the shelves and pockets really hold a lot of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:06 pm 
Field Grade

Here is one I just put together. Got the stroller at a yard sale for $25. The Kolpin grips cost $60 for 2 pair. Total cost was $85 versus $300 plus for a Rugged cart. The cart still folds up for easy storage, and the front wheel has quick releases that make it removable as well for even a more compact form that I can fit in my back seat. You want to find a stroller with big wheels, which handle the rough terrain better. My brother had a 2 seat stroller that he built one from. Works even better if you have more than 2 guys in the group, but this one handles everything that 2 guys need including lunch.

I like the pipe cap idea shown above for the muzzle end of the guns. That would work even better and save having to buy 2 pair of the grips.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Make sure you drill drain holes then to let any rain water out of those plastic cups.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a jogger for $25, added two Kolpin Rhino grips; one on each side (one upper, one lower) for $19.07 a pair on Amazon. Also added a stroller organizer that fits on the back (has a velcro pouch and 2 drink holders - also from Amazon. It works great!

I did take an old T-shirt and tore a strip to tie around the bottom Rhino grips. No big deal but the hot barrel will sometimes make some of the "rubberized" material leave a film on the barrel. It cleans off easily but tying an old t shirt strip of cloth around it took care of that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here's some pictures of my setup.

http://socalsportingclays.com/rig_photos.htm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Here is mine, Schwinn is the brand name of the stroller. I use a gun case from Midway to protect me gun from dust and rain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys. Do you recommend/prefer a front wheel that swivels or one that is fixed?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Mine is a Sun Mountain 3 wheel golf bag cart refurb. It has a non-swivel wheel; most of my friends who used RG carts, prefer that as well on rough paths or ones made of mulch, bark or gravel.
Whichever way you go, make sure it has some form of brake to hold it from rolling away from you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Passport wrote:
Thanks guys. Do you recommend/prefer a front wheel that swivels or one that is fixed?

The purchased ones are selectable for swivel or not. I like the swivel engaged.