ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:27 pm 
Utility Grade

New to clays but hooked. I am going to buy a Beretta 626 Silver Pigeon I. Found a nice 2015 model for $1500 with all the original stuff that came with it. I can get a new one for $1750. Should I save the couple hundred for shells lol or just but the new one? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to the forum.

I think you mean a 686 model. It really depends on the quality and wear of the used gun. If it still feels tight and locks up solid and there's no dings on the wood or metal, barrel is clear (or cleans up), it was probably shot very little. If it's the Field or Sport model that you want (they are different), and the right barrel length, and the proper handiness (left or right) then that's good, too. That's not a huge money difference, just make sure you're getting the gun you want if you go the used route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:04 pm 
Utility Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

I think you mean a 686 model. It really depends on the quality and wear of the used gun. If it still feels tight and locks up solid and there's no dings on the wood or metal, barrel is clear (or cleans up), it was probably shot very little. If it's the Field or Sport model that you want (they are different), and the right barrel length, and the proper handiness (left or right) then that's good, too. That's not a huge money difference, just make sure you're getting the gun you want if you go the used route.

Thank you. Yes 686. Not sure where that 2 came from. My initial thoughts are I’d be better off buying the new one with that little price difference. I was mainly checking to see if there is much difference in the year models.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Go with the new one being that close in price :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I haven’t bought a new gun in decades so serious question . . do warranties move with the gun from owner to owner, or apply just to the original purchaser?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Beretta is original owner only

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm with hopper. Make sure you get the exact one you want. They are not all the same. Beware, also, that new gun syndrome is part of the journey. I swapped from a 725 to a 525 to a semi before I bought my K80 last year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:32 pm 
Utility Grade

mdlott wrote:
I'm with hopper. Make sure you get the exact one you want. They are not all the same. Beware, also, that new gun syndrome is part of the journey. I swapped from a 725 to a 525 to a semi before I bought my K80 last year.

Thank you. I have new gun syndrome in that I do not own an O/U shotgun. I don't necessarily have "brand new gun" syndrome. But after looking around it doesn't seem to make sense to buy an older gun when I can buy a brand new one for maybe $250 more dollars. Now that's all things being equal on the used and brand new guns. Comparing apples to apples that is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:38 pm 
Limited Edition

If the beretta fit's you buy it but if your unsure they have a couple of Browning Citori models that are just as good in quality and maybe a little less money.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am 
Utility Grade

shotgun red 52 wrote:
If the beretta fit's you buy it but if your unsure they have a couple of Browning Citori models that are just as good in quality and maybe a little less money.

I love the Beretta and it fits good. But I have shot Browning's and love them. But the Browning's I have shot are not in that price range. Which models might be less? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Papa J wrote:
shotgun red 52 wrote:

I love the Beretta and it fits good. But I have shot Browning's and love them. But the Browning's I have shot are not in that price range. Which models might be less? Thanks

You probably handled browning 725 which are more expensive than the Beretta you are considering. A browning Citori CX is in the same price range as Beretta SP1. Very solid and reliable but handles very different than the 725. I have a browning crossover target which is basically same as current CX and it has been a decent gun and a great value for the money but it isn’t the most dynamic handling sporting gun by a long shot. Definitely worth checking out though if you can get your mitts on one

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

You could also try to negotiate a little better price on the used one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:24 am 
Presentation Grade

You could negotiate it down a few hundred....in this case - Look at the lever and make sure it slants to the right which indicates lots of life left in it. Fit is also important as “most” would not want a stock that has been shortened. I’d measure the LOP and make sure it’s 14-14.5”. ( factory spec ).

DL.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:35 am 
Limited Edition

One justifiable reason for buying a shortened stock is to get a quality, thicker recoil pad like a Kick-Eze or Limbsaver. The Kick-Eze is about an inch thick and requires some wood cutting to maintain original LOP. Well worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

Sticking a new pad on isn't really the COMPLETE answer. If you wish to make the stock longer put some spacers (coins or cardboard) to the desired length and see how you do. It's more than just LOP. It will also impact pitch compared to what's on the gun.