ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: POI Cesar Guerini Magnus.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Gents, just got back into clay shooting after a 30 year plus absence. Bought a Browning 725 S couple of months back . I used to shoot trap back in the day with my Winchester 101 pigeon grade. Never was a serious competitor but normally I’d break 85-90 out of 100. I’m loving shooting again and I’ve always wanted a Guerini so several days ago I bought the Magnus limited, beautiful gun. Guerini told me it set up for 50/50, anyone here with a Guerini tell me will I need to be under ,over or dead on with this combination? I’ll find out in 24 hours but I’d like to go in confident. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: POI Cesar Guerini Magnus.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Johnnyblues,

I do not own a Guerini, but hard to tell you what to do until you have shot a few targets and or shot the pattern board.

Was the gun fitted to you and then were you told it would shoot 50/50? Or were you just told the gun is set up for 50/50?

Best to shoot some targets and if it is not working for you then seek help from a reputable fitter / coach. Try some straight going away shots and some straight incomers all at about 20 to 25 yards and see how you shoot and how the gun feels.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:48 pm 
Field Grade

50/50 is perfect. You don’t need to be over or under. Don’t overthink it.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All guns choked Magic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Depends on fit and cheek pressure. See your other previous thread above. Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj_tjIx9020

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:49 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree. For sporting clays 50/50 is good since some targets are up, some down, some cross. Make sure the gun fits and you should be good to go.

GG Summit Ltd., Summit Sporting, and 20ga.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:24 pm 
Utility Grade

My CG Summit Sporting is 50/50 on the pattern board.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks gents for the reply’s. I was told by Caesar Guerini the gun shoots 50/50. That being said I just shot it for the first time several days ago. Gun was purchased “ off the shelf” so as far as fit is concerned I’m not quite sure as I’m not familiar with the desired proper dimensions needed. The club I shoot and belong to also has what they call wobble stand. Similar to trap except the house is just below the stand and very close to the shooter. 3 positions also. Here I have little trouble breaking 20 birds pretty consistently. It’s the sporting clay course that’s giving me HELL! I’m not a bird hunter so this is new turf for me. I m getting closer and closer in investing in a shot kam.. I Have posted elsewhere here looking for a used one. But getting back... When I shot the gun several days ago again I was fine on the wobble stand but horrible on the course. I decided to invest in a lesson with one of the level 3 instructors here at the club. This will happen on October 7 th. Hopefully he can help me out! My feeing is improper lead and angles. Wobble simulates upland bird hunting so no crossers so again I’m much more consistent. Just an update, I goggled the information about gun fit and it would seem as is the case with most of the shelf shotguns my Guerini is too long. I have 4 fingers with between nose and thumb knuckle. I spoke with the instructor who I’m meeting with tomorrow he said he has done many gun fits. He will bring along a gun that’s adjustable and take measurements. I’m a bit afraid to be honest that the wood on my stock may get damaged with cutting, but I behave zero experience with this.

Last edited by Johnnyblues on Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:58 pm 
Crown Grade

The gun can be anything from the factory. Your mount and stance has plenty to do with where a gun shoots. Out of the box a gun could shoot anywhere. If you struggle put it on paper.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Have your instructor check your gun mount for fit and consistency. If you are confident that it is pointing where you are looking, things will get a lot better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:41 pm 
Field Grade

Please get some lessons from a decent instructor (or two) before you change POI on your shotgun or buy cameras to show you what you think you are doing wrong (which may be fit or form related) with no insight as how to solve the issue. $500 in lessons will save you thousands in equipment. IMHO....jus sayin!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 am 
Utility Grade

SC Boykin wrote:
Please get some lessons from a decent instructor (or two) before you change POI on your shotgun or buy cameras to show you what you think you are doing wrong (which may be fit or form related) with no insight as how to solve the issue. $500 in lessons will save you thousands in equipment. IMHO....jus sayin!

Thanks all for the advice. Tomorrow is lesson day and as stated the stock is too long. I plan to have an in-depth discussion with him as I don’t want to change POI . As Guerini told me the gun from the factory shoots 50/50. Again wobble stand I’m ok. It’s the crossers and other combinations on the sporting clay course I have trouble with. I don’t know if cutting the stock to fit will change POI but let’s see what he says. Again I’m a newbie to this game so maybe with some fine tuning I’ll get to what I consider acceptable shooting for a non competitor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:03 am 
Diamond Grade

Johnnyblues wrote:
Thanks gents for the reply’s. I was told by Caesar Guerini the gun shoots 50/50. That being said I just shot it for the first time several days ago. Gun was purchased “ off the shelf” so as far as fit is concerned I’m not quite sure as I’m not familiar with the desired proper dimensions needed. The club I shoot and belong to also has what they call wobble stand. Similar to trap except the house is just below the stand and very close to the shooter. 3 positions also. Here I have little trouble breaking 20 birds pretty consistently. It’s the sporting clay course that’s giving me HELL! I’m not a bird hunter so this is new turf for me. I m getting closer and closer in investing in a shot kam.. I Have posted elsewhere here looking for a used one. But getting back... When I shot the gun several days ago again I was fine on the wobble stand but horrible on the course. I decided to invest in a lesson with one of the level 3 instructors here at the club. This will happen on October 7 th. Hopefully he can help me out! My feeing is improper lead and angles. Wobble simulates upland bird hunting so no crossers so again I’m much more consistent. Just an update, I goggled the information about gun fit and it would seem as is the case with most of the shelf shotguns my Guerini is too long. I have 4 fingers with between nose and thumb knuckle. I spoke with the instructor who I’m meeting with tomorrow he said he has done many gun fits. He will bring along a gun that’s adjustable and take measurements. I’m a bit afraid to be honest that the wood on my stock may get damaged with cutting, but I behave zero experience with this.
Throw all of this thought process in the garbage where it belongs and just go shoot. When you have at least 4 or 5 cases through it come back and update the thread.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Successful shotgun shooting is NOT a thinking man's game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

[/quote]Throw all of this thought process in the garbage where it belongs and just go shoot. When you have at least 4 or 5 cases through it come back and update the thread.

Seriously.[/quote]

Agreed, except I’d say 10-20 cases.

You don’t have nearly enough knowledge or experience to make any sort of assessment on gun fit. By your 4 finger rule, my gun doesn’t fit. My shooting indicates otherwise.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All guns choked Magic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:15 pm 
Field Grade

@Johhnyblue

When a manufacturer states POI as 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 or any other spec this just means that if someone's eye (backsight in rifle terms) is perfectly aligned with the rib to the bead the pattern at a specific distance will have that distribution.

Like mentioned in a lot of different ways this is totally variable based on how you mount the gun. If you mount so that your eye is higher than the rib and you see some rib before the bead then your factory 50/50 spec is no longer the case and it it will have a higher POI.

Changing the stock dimensions won't affect POI in the way you are thinking it will. If the stock is altered in a way that puts your eye properly aligned with the rib on a consistent basis the POI will be consistently close to the 50/50 spec.

It sounds like you need to get fitted, get some instruction, and start to build up a data base of sight pictures in your shooting memory bank. Once you know what the sight picture looks like for more target presentations you will be able to hit those presentations more often regardless of POI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:37 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks again gents, all good advise. My lesson went very well. We started with a sort of lesson class with graphs some metal rods depicting angle/flight and some cones as props. Interesting. That went on for about 35-40 minutes then onto the course. To make a semi long story short I had shot better on the course with his advise and teaching than I had since I began a couple of months ago. Understanding now how to analyze flight and that my club throws 75% chandels made a huge difference in my shooting. The instructor was quite impressed with how many birds were smoked at different angles. In his words I did very very well. I’m not the type especially at my age to look for compliments but I was very happy with the progress we made. Interestingly he stressed the mental aspect of the game, something I never really thought about but understand since I was involved in another sport that needed complete mental preparation. Anyway I will take another lesson in a few weeks. Definitely makes it much more enjoyable breaking more birds than missing them! One quick note he felt gun fit was fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Excellent! It surely is fun when you have some success.