ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a Custom stock
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 pm 
Field Grade

I just wanted to let people know if they want a Custom stock it’s not calling Wirnig up and giving them dimensions or other companies, the only way to get a true Custom stock is through Jim Greenwood.

My experience with him was outstanding he started off by having the Inletting to receiver which was ready upon arrival the second step ,was getting the pistol grip and framework set up so you could go out on the pattern board and check impact. Following that was several trips to the sporting field to shoot then more custom shaping of the stock, going out and shooting again and doing this process over and over until the stock fits you exactly and the point of impact is exact.!

He has a vast variety of targets that he can throw to make sure the gun fits you exactly the way it should. I could go on and on with a long list of items that we did to make sure this stock fitting was perfect but, I’ll shorten it by saying he is a master Stock Builder!!!!!! not someone in the shop cutting wood to dimensions and then putting bubble wrap on it and sending it back to you.!!!

His work is truly a work of art how he shapes and builds the stock out in front of you before your eyes. And to top things off the recoil reduction was amazing as The setting was on join in the end it is by far the softest shooting gun I have ever shot.

So if you’re having issues for looking for the right thing we should give him a call and have a talk with him he is truly a master craftsman!!

This contact information is as follows: [email protected]

If you have any questions for me please feel free to PM and I will answer any questions.

Last edited by automan on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Building a Custom stock
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:57 pm 
Limited Edition

ee cummings lives.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:08 am 
Field Grade

So what is the rough cost of a Greenwood Stock? (I understand it varies based on wood grade selected)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got exceptional service, professional fit and a pair of gorgeous stocks from S&S Plus. I'm sure Greenwood does outstanding work, my point is that he's not the only one. I agree that with Wenig, unless you're a somebody, you're probably going to get some slightly adjusted version of their American profile.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 am 
Diamond Grade

This guy does my stock work:- http://www.customgun.com He's very good, both rifles and shotguns. Please click on the main menu at the top left of his web. site.

https://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:22 am 
Crown Grade

If you already have a pattern stock that is as you want it, Wenig does a decent job of reproducing a pattern in finish wood.

Also, since they are a production operation, Wenig may be able to deliver in less time than a smaller or one-man shop. Guess the choice depends on how impatient one is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:55 am 
Presentation Grade

JacksBack wrote:
I got exceptional service, professional fit and a pair of gorgeous stocks from S&S Plus. I'm sure Greenwood does outstanding work, my point is that he's not the only one. I agree that with Wenig, unless you're a somebody, you're probably going to get some slightly adjusted version of their American profile.

Agreed, I have received 3 great fits and stocks from S&S+.
And also there are a few others that do really nice work BUT I would not include Wenig in that catagory. I have seen them supply a fitment disaster to a $1500 blank.

CT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:03 pm 
Limited Edition

pete blakeley wrote:
This guy does my stock work:- http://www.customgun.com He's very good, both rifles and shotguns. Please click on the main menu at the top left of his web. site.

Thanks for that recommendation, Pete. Where is Ramirez located?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
pete blakeley wrote:

I’m guessing very close to the address listed on the ‘contact’ tab on the website. Might be wrong though......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Rooster booster wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
pete blakeley wrote:

I’m guessing very close to the address listed on the ‘contact’ tab on the website. Might be wrong though......

Ha! Couldn’t find it using the phone. I’ll try again. Thanks for the clue!

EDIT: Well damn. Sure enough, there it was. You are powerful smart. Seriously, thanks again.

Last edited by Auldthymer on Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

;-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:52 pm 
Field Grade

Jim charges roughly $2000 for an over under pattern stock , you would really need to talk to him and discuss.

The other thing he is a shooter and has a very good knowledge as to why or what you will need to get to the best fit possible!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

AuldThymer. He is here in E. Texas. His address is 7680 North US Hwy 69, Alba, TX 75410. I usually take my clients to Rose City Flying Clays www.rosecityflyingclays.com because they have good pattern plates there and I take precise measurements with my try gun, shoot on the skeet/sporting clays course then Todd does the stock alterations to my specifications. Todd served his time at the Beretta Gallery in Highland Park Village. If you need any more info. please contact me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:32 pm 
Limited Edition

pete blakeley wrote:
AuldThymer. He is here in E. Texas. His address is 7680 North US Hwy 69, Alba, TX 75410. I usually take my clients to Rose City Flying Clays http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com because they have good pattern plates there and I take precise measurements with my try gun, shoot on the skeet/sporting clays course then Todd does the stock alterations to my specifications. Todd served his time at the Beretta Gallery in Highland Park Village. If you need any more info. please contact me.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:44 am 
Limited Edition

Might want to ask Kim Rhode if she is satisfied with her Wenig stock.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know nothing of custom stocks but just listened to the Behind the Break podcast with Jim Greenwood and it was interesting.

https://behindthebreak.com/jim-greenwood-custom-stockmaker

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:18 am 
Crown Grade

I'm quite sure Jim is a super stockmaker but for the rest of us poor suckers that can't or don't want to spend $2000.00 on a stock, there are other alternatives. A lot of folks are pretty good craftsmen & have woodworking kills. If you are a complete clut in regard to working with wood, maybe you should start saving your money. Anyway, a machine inletted stock only requires final fitting & can be ordered with enough extra wood that you can do the final fitting by removing a little wood at a time until it fits. That does require that you know the basics of stock fitting!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:00 am 
Field Grade

In Feb I reached out to Jim, he charges $2,000 for a pattern stock and $4,500 for labor for the finished stock&forend. So if you figure $2k for pattern, $4500labor, wood $1-4k you are min $7,500 for a new stock and if you are going that far you probably aren't going to spend $1k on wood.

I might have considered it, but I'm not at that level and if I were going to go that level I would want someone closer to me so if I needed the patter stock tweaked in the process.

Happy to hear you had a great experience with him. I've never heard a bad word spoken about him or the experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pm 
Limited Edition

cubfan wrote:
In Feb I reached out to Jim, he charges $2,000 for a pattern stock and $4,500 for labor for the finished stock&forend. So if you figure $2k for pattern, $4500labor, wood $1-4k you are min $7,500 for a new stock and if you are going that far you probably aren't going to spend $1k on wood.

I might have considered it, but I'm not at that level and if I were going to go that level I would want someone closer to me so if I needed the patter stock tweaked in the process.

Happy to hear you had a great experience with him. I've never heard a bad word spoken about him or the experience.

Sorry, but I don’t care who he is. That pricing is insane. Doug is much more reasonable and also highly regarded.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am 
Field Grade

Was going to get a stock built for my Zoli until covid hit. Got a PSA instead.If all you want is a proper fit I would say go this route. If you need sexy gety a piece of wood made. All i wanted was the gun to fit proper. I had the stock on my K80 made for me. it does make a difference with proper fit