ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trap setting for 5 stand
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:45 am 
Limited Edition

I'll echo the concern of facing a direction other than north. We have a 5 stand at my club that faces due south, been that way for many years. We are in the process of gathering resources to move it across the road to face north on one of our rarely used skeet fields. We typically shoot sundays around noon and wednesdays 5pm. Wed evenings are great, sundays are a b**ch and it doesn't get used very much because of it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

The new club I joined set their 5-stand facing due South. One target comes from overhead going out; depending on the time of day (and year) you can be looking directly into the sun. Unfortunately, it was South or nothing due to home development facing north.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:59 am 
Presentation Grade

There has been lots of good advice given here! I’ll just add/emphasize a few things based on my limited experience. Get the basics right before you worry too much about the details: orient your range to optimize sun position and safe shot fall areas; have a convenient way to locate or transport full boxes of targets for machine refills; have safe footing and properly constructed stands at the shooting locations; put your machines on portable carts to the extent possible so you can move them; have a logical numbering (or lettering) scheme and label the machines so it’s visible from all shooting positions; plan ahead for variety and change in target presentations; buy machines with reliability, maintenance and repair in mind (parts, access to expertise, etc.); and, have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:25 am 
Crown Grade

I'll add to the above post - if you live in an area with a lot of lightning, make sure to ground everything; one local place lost several machines and batteries to lightning strikes.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you in regards to the previous two posts, very good advice. I plan to have all traps on carts as they will be stored in a building when not being used. This will be a personal course that will only be used for private events or whenever I have the time to practice a bit. I plan to use Atlas traps as I have an AT300 currently that I am very happy with (never had an issue). Good advice to have them numbered. I am looking forward to this project and appreciate all input!