ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Walmart Ammo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sneem2 wrote:
It was reported Wal-Mart pulled all guns and ammo in fear of looting after the election. Probably a good idea given the lack of response to the looting. I guess I’m just old but I always thought we shot looters. But what did I know?

I agree 100%. That would stop the looting.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 pm 
Limited Edition

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
sneem2 wrote:
It was reported Wal-Mart pulled all guns and ammo in fear of looting after the election. Probably a good idea given the lack of response to the looting. I guess I’m just old but I always thought we shot looters. But what did I know?

I agree 100%. That would stop the looting.

Maybe they should pull all the big screen TVs off the floor too. Then they may really stop the looters! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:54 am 
Crown Grade

Stopped in to one of the Wal-Mart stores in my area out of curiosity this morning. Gun cabinets still are empty but there was some target ammo back on the shelves. Not a big supply there. 4-5 flats worth mostly of the estate super sports. 4 packs at $22.17 and individual boxes at $5.75 or so.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:36 pm 
Limited Edition

From what I read on other forums and from checking the on-line dealers I buy from, it seem ammo is getting scare. One big regional gun shop has a little bit still in stock, but it is limiting buyers to one flat.

I read here that many are still finding ammo at Walmart. Am I the only one that has nearby Walmarts that carry little shotgun ammo....ever?

I have two Walmarts fairly close to me. Neither have ever carried much ammo. Odd, both are in areas that were once in the center of great pheasant hunting. One is still in a rural area, the other in a rural moving toward becoming a bed-room community.

I once found a couple of 4-packs at one and asked about those. The lad at the gun desk said those were left-overs of a pallet they had for dove season. He suggested they got such a pallet every year for dove season. I've checked a couple years since, both during and just before dove season, and never found much "dove ammo", certainly never a pallet.

So again, am I the only one that has nearby Walmarts that carry little shotgun ammo?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Our WalMart carries no guns or ammo whatsoever. Guess where I live?

tp (rolls his own anyways)

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I picked up 6 4 packs of Federal ammo last weekend at my local Walmart 1 1/8 ounce #8 and #7 1/2. They seem to have it from time to time but not very much of it when they do. This time last year they would have the shelves packed with shells.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

painter* wrote:
lt0026 wrote:
Bass Pro has nothing on line. Academy has very little available. They want $8.00 to ship a flat of ammo. Thats on top of increased pricing.

Pricing is increased, but it's not $8/flat. It's $8/order.

$8 to ship 20 flats isn't a bad deal IMO.

You are right. I got 2 flats and the cost was $8 shipping. I had to have them, so I paid it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

floridaford wrote:
I picked up 6 4 packs of Federal ammo last weekend at my local Walmart 1 1/8 ounce #8 and #7 1/2. They seem to have it from time to time but not very much of it when they do. This time last year they would have the shelves packed with shells.

I just did the same at a Walmart in GA as the ones near me in North Florida don't have any.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

claysman steve wrote:
Maybe they should pull all the big screen TVs off the floor too. Then they may really stop the looters! :lol:

As the old joke goes, replace the big screen TVs and vodka with work boots and Father’s Day cards. That’ll stop the looting. :lol:

This ammo shortage has been building since summer. In middle and late summer it was mostly 5.56, rimfire ammo and centerfire pistol cartridges. Now there are bare shelves that were full of sporting shotshells a couple months ago. My local Scheels still has hunting shotgun shells.

The nearby Walmart seems to get a couple flats of Super Targets and Estates every few days. I’ve picked up enough to last my family a year at least. By then I reckon the political dust will have settled. Especially if Georgia goes the right way in January.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Since I reload I don't bother looking for deals on factory shells. The time it takes to find what I want and drive to get it makes reloading a much better option for me.
I have enough supplies on hand to keep me going for the next 3 ~ 4 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:19 am 
Limited Edition

If one wanted a three year supply of ammo, one could keep three years of factory ammo easier than keeping three years supply of powder and shot and wads and primers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:00 am 
Tournament Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
If one wanted a three year supply of ammo, one could keep three years of factory ammo easier than keeping three years supply of powder and shot and wads and primers.

I've seen this on many forums and social media pages. People went into this saying, "I'm not worried about ammo shortages. I reload." But in the end that only buys them a few extra weeks before components are as scarce as manufactured ammunition.

No matter how you do it, if you went into this presidential election cycle without a stockpile -- and following several years of a "buyers' market" with all sorts of ammo rebates and such -- then you chose to get caught with your pants down. Forget the pandemic. I could have told you in 2018 that 2020 was going to be an ammo and component panic year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:37 am 
Diamond Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:

HenryVac wrote:
I've seen this on many forums and social media pages. People went into this saying, "I'm not worried about ammo shortages. I reload." But in the end that only buys them a few extra weeks before components are as scarce as manufactured ammunition.

No matter how you do it, if you went into this presidential election cycle without a stockpile -- and following several years of a "buyers' market" with all sorts of ammo rebates and such -- then you chose to get caught with your pants down. Forget the pandemic. I could have told you in 2018 that 2020 was going to be an ammo and component panic year.

Since I live in Kalifornistan, this simply is not true anymore. When we were able to have ammo delivered to our door from various suppliers, I did just that. Now with this stupid ammo law reloading makes much more sense, I can still have components delivered. So now when I find a deal I can live with I just order it. BTW, its always made sense to reload 28ga.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:23 am 
Presentation Grade

ceh383 wrote:
Since I live in Kalifornistan, this simply is not true anymore. When we were able to have ammo delivered to our door from various suppliers, I did just that. Now with this stupid ammo law reloading makes much more sense, I can still have components delivered. So now when I find a deal I can live with I just order it. BTW, its always made sense to reload 28ga.

Amen.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)