ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LH Sporting Shotgun 12ga O/U for 11yo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:33 am 
Utility Grade

So my daughter has caught the bug for SC! So now I need to find a decent used weapon for her to kill those birds. I am trying to find a decent, 12 ga, (perhaps used) LH O/U weapon for her. Any suggestions on this? I have been searching the web and they seem to be available, but I am unsure what would be best. Her pull is 11-1/2-inches. I am a bit of a newbie myself. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Indyarkyguy
A Clay Killer in Indy

Post subject: Re: LH Sporting Shotgun 12ga O/U for 11yo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 am 
Crown Grade

What's your budget?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 am 
Crown Grade

Odd, never heard folks in the target sports talk about weapons or clay killing. Is that a local thing ?

Yes, lots of information here but a budget is needed. Unless there isn’t one then you will get even more good information.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:20 am 
Presentation Grade

You're going to get a lot of suggestions on this. I recommend you contact one of the target shotgun dealers that advertise in the NSCA magazine "Claytarget Nation" and let them give you some guidance and what they have available. Pacific Sporting Arms is one that comes to mind. There are many others.

You've got a growing girl that won't fit whatever you buy now so fast it will amaze you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I started my Grandson at 9 on a 20 G single shot. Basic safety walking courses with me & few shots with light loaded shells . Then a 20 G 870 wing master with a youth stock. Bit older put the regular stock back on still using 3/4 oz reloads Minimum charges

He’s 13 now shooting my 391 20 full load 3/4 & some 7/8 oz. it’s weighted 8 oz mag cap & 8 oz in the buttstock. 7 1/2 total

He’s taking weekly lessons on a skeet course l, last week 6 rounds, 150 shells not a problem for him Sporting he’s still walking courses & I pick soft targets.

Point is their recoil tolerance is important and will grow quick. O/U is not easy stock change & hard to add significant extra weight . Probably wait until he stops growing for 12 G

If committed to O/U field grade older used Beretta with a 2nd sacrificial buttstock is what I would be after. Browning just as good . Target gun dealers like Coles or Etchen best places to look

Bass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:45 am 
Presentation Grade

What's your budget? If it's under $1500, don't go with an O/U.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like she is young or small framed. Try to find a used auto loader 20ga 26' BBL. She will grow and out grow the dimensions. I had a few 20ga rem 1100's that went around the ranges with smaller shooters, good starter.
A good o/u will be $2000 and you'd cut the stock, later a new butt stock would be expensive. A true lefty gun is hard to find.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Beretta or Browning O/U only. Anything else would be a maJor mistake.

Bass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

indyarkyguy wrote:
So my daughter has caught the bug for SC! So now I need to find a decent used weapon for her to kill those birds. I am trying to find a decent, 12 ga, (perhaps used) LH O/U weapon for her. Any suggestions on this? I have been searching the web and they seem to be available, but I am unsure what would be best. Her pull is 11-1/2-inches. I am a bit of a newbie myself. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Indyarkyguy
A Clay Killer in Indy

You didn't mention where you are located but from your name, I'd suggest a trip to Indy Gun Club (https://indianagunclub.com/) . If you haven't already been there.
Phillip will treat you right and he usually has a good selection of used guns on hand that he will let you try out too!

Pk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your comments. I was looking more for used as I figured she will keep growing...and to make sure that she stays with it (wanted to keep my budget low). We are in Indiana and I am a member of IGC. Sometimes their prices can be a tad high...even for used. It also sounds like automatic may be best run. She has been using my mom's 12 ga, but it is not a LH. I was unsure if there might be a better website to hunt for a used LH as I don't find many...If there are more suggestions I am all ears. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

LH 1100s and 11-87s show up in gun broker all the time, I’ve purchased two.

Do a search for LH under semi automatics and some will show up. I see 155 right now.