ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2nd Shotgun... what should I get...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm 
Field Grade

I'm looking to possibly acquire a 2nd shotgun. Nothing at all wrong with my Browning 725. Its great! Just want to try something "different" every now and then.

For those of you lucky enough to have more than one shotgun in the safe, what do you have as an alternative to a 12ga?

Is a 20ga different enough? or should I go smaller bore.

Post subject: Re: 2nd Shotgun... what should I get...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:28 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

A 20 is not that much different to a 12, they can kick more.

If its to try a different gauge as opposed to having a back up gun, I would suggest a 28 but be prepared for the shock of the costs of shells.

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

And thus you will learn another aspect of shotgun shooting - reloading!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just pick one and go. My safe has gone from mostly 12 to almost entirely 20 to half 28 and now is sitting at roughly 2 of each.

Roger is right that 20s aren’t particularly soft shooting in general. But the ammo is cheap and you get a smaller frame gun which is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:04 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd go for a 28 gauge. I think they are an absolute blast to shoot. Very little recoil but still ¾ ounce of shot that will handily break targets. You can get into some 28 gauge side events which are a bunch of fun. I've also shot my 28 in 20 gauge events when I don't feel like bringing yet another gun to a shoot.

Edit: If you want to stick with just one type of ammo, you can always go for a 12 pump (Ithaca 37, Browning BPS, Older Rem 870) for a less expensive option, or get in a SxS for a whole different experience. Racking a pump on a quick true pair adds a bit of a challenge to sporting, and there are side events for both pump and SxS at larger events.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm adding a Browning BSS to my collection. I figger it will be a nice counterpart to the Citori CX.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Nothing wrong getting another gun. Adds to the fun of shooting.
But, there is so much you can do if you reload in 12ga. 3/4 oz is a gem in 12ga. 7/8 also a good choice. 80% of my practice is 3/4....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:15 pm 
Field Grade

chips&clays wrote:
Nothing wrong getting another gun. Adds to the fun of shooting.
But, there is so much you can do if you reload in 12ga. 3/4 oz is a gem in 12ga. 7/8 also a good choice. 80% of my practice is 3/4....

So what are you saying... having 3/4 loads is like having another gun?

I'm still learning about this

The first case of shells I bought was #8 1-1/8oz load 2 3/4 dram 1145fps. They feel ok to me. If my mount is sloppy (sometimes it is) I will feel a little kick. But not bad.

I just bought another case which is #7.5 1oz load 2/3/4 dram 1180fps. I want to see how these feel.

Maybe I will look for some .75oz loads... if I can find them.

I know nothing about reloading except that some people do it and I don't. But, I understand I can cook up whatever I want if I do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lite loads add a different dimension to shooting the same gun, but it is not like having a second gun.
I've been thinking about a true 28ga. I have a tubed 12ga that I shoot 28ga, but it's not the same.
The biggest issue with 28ga is the cost of the shells, about twice the cost of 12ga. If I do buy a 28ga, I'll also buy a reloader for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:55 pm 
Field Grade

ceh383 wrote:
Lite loads add a different dimension to shooting the same gun, but it is not like having a second gun.
I've been thinking about a true 28ga. I have a tubed 12ga that I shoot 28ga, but it's not the same.
The biggest issue with 28ga is the cost of the shells, about twice the cost of 12ga. If I do buy a 28ga, I'll also buy a reloader for it.

I was thinking the same thing... a true 28ga. I looked at .410, but there there clearly was some some or computer error with the price of the shells that I saw.... :shock: that could not have been right...

I saw the tubes... but they are a little pricey as well.

I have my workhorse gun, just want something different to play with, maybe a 28ga SxS, who knows. :D Maybe I can get a high handicap at the fun shoot.

Something tells me I may be reloading in the future... Not there yet...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

md2020 wrote:
ceh383 wrote:

I looked at .410, but there there clearly was some some or computer error with the price of the shells that I saw.... :shock: that could not have been right...

What you saw was probably correct pricing. Factory 410 and 28 are ridiculously expensive, but if you reload, they are cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:58 pm 
Crown Grade

If I were to buy a second gun for myself it would be a Beretta autoloader 12 gauge, that way I could do three bird shoots.

Also, the popularity of sub gauge FITASC could warrant a 28 gauge O/U. Then you could shoot 20 and 28 gauge FITASC.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

IMO you being a fairly new shooter stick with the one gun you have, master that gun first. Later on when you are better at this game, see what others are using, try a few other guns you will have a better idea your next move.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:10 pm 
Field Grade

I enjoy pump guns the most. Shot my Browning BPS almost exclusively in 2019 and won a few events with it.

I love sub-gauges as well. 28 gauge is just magical. If you go this route, get a reloader.

Maybe consider a 2 barrel or 3 barrel set. I think the 3 barrel Browning Special Sporting Clays edition offered by Guns Unlimited Omaha is just a great deal. $4,000 gets you a 3 barrel set.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All guns choked Magic