It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dr Richard Colo on Shotgun Sports Podcast
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Patently Obvious,

New script in September LOL. 3 shots - 3 roosters - no practice. :mrgreen:

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Patently Obvious,

Nice looking birds! I chased some birds for a few days a couple of weeks ago over by Riversale on the Wolf Creek wildlife area. Beautiful country! Wish I could have spent some more time out there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:04 am 
Diamond Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Patently Obvious,

Assume! I used to hunt around Ashley N.D but I haven’t been for a few years. Unfortunately, I lost quite a few spots I had in CRP and shelter belts to the chisel plow and bulldozer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 am 
Presentation Grade

German Shorthairs, the best pheasant hunting dogs I’ve ever hunted with. The best nose of any dog I’ve seen. Labs tend to stumble across pheasants and shorthairs know where the birds are. YRMV!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Dogchaser... thanks for your reply. This is not my first rodeo and I've been playing our game for over 20 years and progressed to M class - not saying that to brag or diminish your reply, just to let you know that I'm very conscious and attentive to my eyes and know what I have to do (hydration, nutrition and sleep) to keep them working as well as they can at age 55.

Yes, I did speak with Dr. Colo after I found the clarity problem with the new Rx after 500 targets. He asked that I send the new lenses back for a confirmation on the Rx - which I did do and they were returned to me a week later with a note from his lab staff that they were made correctly. I used them again for 2 more practice sessions (250-300 targets each) and wore them for 2 local tournaments - both main events and 5 stand.

Both competitions were complete train wrecks for me in terms of score results and position in class. About a week after the 2nd train wreck, I stopped in to see and talk to my local eye doctor to get his thoughts.

In the end, I "donated" the new Ranger Edge frame to a youth shooter at my local club, trashed the 2 sets of Rx lenses and went back to my old glasses - INSTANT IMPROVEMENT in target clarity and results. The following weekend I was 2nd in class at a local PYO shoot.

KrieghoffK80 (Terry)... Yes - one. thousand. dollars. for the visit with Dr. Colo. His office hit my vision insurance for $100 eye exam, my medical insurance for $150 for the eye mapping and sports vision testing and I wrote a check for $750 directly to the doctor. The visit included basic eye exam, eye dominance percentage determination, sports vision acuity testing, locating my pupil distance with a mounted gun, lunch and a visit to Dr. Colo's local gun club (Hartford Gun Club) so he can watch you shoot targets and work with you to adjust pick-up points and transitions from 1st to 2nd target.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day that I spent with Dr. Colo and I came away very excited that I had committed time and effort to improving an area of perceived weakness for me. I learned quite a bit that I didn't know before about how my eyes work in our sport. But in the end, I am extremely disappointed about the time and money spent for something that didn't work for me. As I said previously, YMMV and I hope that your experience end results with Dr. Colo are/were better than mine. Lesson learned for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Geppert Sorry for the latent reply. I was dealing with a little stint in and out of the hospital but things have much improved. It is quite obvious that there was a breakdown in communication that I take full responsibility for. Please accept my sincerest apologies. Please PM your info and I will immediately refund the cost of the glasses

Stay Safe,
Rich Colo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I am sorry the visit did not meet your expectations. For me it far exceeded what I hoped to learn. It allowed me to understand my dominance and eye metrics as it relates to clay target shooting.  It filled in so many blind spots for me. Where should I hold my eyes before I call pull , how long can I hold a target , what is the B of Bang and how does that translate in my game. After you have the health exam and the range work you now have a template for understanding how your eyes work.  You will have a period of time with that knowledge where you're not sure if it is all coming together for you because you are in a conscious learning mode. But as you practice more it all starts to fall in place and you build confidence because you know what you have to do relative to your own eye situation. Now the step which I hope to do this year is meet with an instructor that has worked with Dr. Colo and understands how my eyes work on the RX,LX scale. That is key information for the instructor in helping them understand some limitations I may have. For me as well , really listening to the podcasts, taking notes, reading the transcribed Colo#1 reinforces what I learned and locks in the concepts. Meeting with Dr. Colo is one of the most valuable building blocks I have encountered in my learning process. 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Sportshot2 wrote:
German Shorthairs, the best pheasant hunting dogs I’ve ever hunted with. The best nose of any dog I’ve seen. Labs tend to stumble across pheasants and shorthairs know where the birds are. YRMV!

Someone is trolling for replies from the Lab folks. :D