ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on State Champion sporting clays Trophy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Hi was trying to get a little feedback on what people would like their trophy to be, or look like for State Championships? Do you like a Wooden base with a nice metal Cup, a Glass bowl or maybe a silver platter? If you have pics to post that would be awesome just trying to come up with something nice that would be deserving of the shooters accomplishment without breaking the bank. What is your opinion, should there be two trophies Champion and Runner-up or just Champion? Looking forward to hearing your ideas or opinions on this.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on State Champion sporting clays Trophy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Do you recognize out of state folks who take HOA?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

No they will get money only

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

One of the nicest trophy's in my possession is a belt buckle for winning my class years ago, given out by the Detroit gun club. It is good looking and useful. Years ago J&P on Maryland's Eastern shore Would give guns (Beretta 391) for class winners and HOA. Not in business anymore which is too bad. Their Blue Crab shoot was great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:05 am 
Field Grade

Jon Kruger turns out some beautiful wood turnings, befitting a champion’s trophy. And what better than a trophy made by one of the best the sport has ever known. Check out www.jonkrugerwoodart.com.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:29 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I like to receive something nice that is a reminder of the day. Traditional or crystal trophies can be very nice. Merchandise-wise, I like knives. A nice knife can be a trophy most outdoorsmen appreciate. I have carried a nice Browning model 822 pocket knife every day for many years. It is the the trap doubles trophy from the first doubles event I won and a constant reminder of a very good day - not only my first doubles win, but also my first HAA win.

Do be sure to label the box with the event details so the shooter always has a reminder of the day when he pulls it out of the drawer in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pictures of dead presidents are my preferred trophy.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

It has been my experience that most everyone hits the road way before the trophies are handed out. So my two cents worth is give out additional money. For the HOA or State Champion a trophy of some sort should be given out but that's the only one. The last state shoot in NY the club was stuck mailing out over half of the trophies. With the cost of shipping these days thats just another unexpected expense.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

the Rev wrote:
With the cost of shipping these days thats just another unexpected expense.

That's the thing, most people have no CLUE what shipping costs actually are, and how quickly they add up when you have to ship a bunch of stuff out. You aren't shipping pretty much ANY trophy for less than 10 bucks these days, and could be 20 or 30 bucks depending on size/weight/distance, and that's EACH.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice belt buckle would be my first choice filled by cash!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:22 am 
Tournament Grade

What about the participation trophy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:41 am 
Field Grade

The champion of every event should win a trophy.
On the main event, the overall runner-up and first place in each class should also win a trophy and those trophies should be premade and ready to go.

I was fortunate enough to win out of state champion at a neighboring state this summer. The prize was $500 and a trophy. I could have opted out of the trophy for $80 cash, but I wanted the trophy. It showed up seven weeks later... Many of my family and friends were excited at the time of winning and wanted to see the trophy and help celebrate. When it showed up seven weeks later it was kind of a disappointment. This opens up a conversation about how many trophies.

In my home state, they make so many trophies down to third fourth or fifth place that some people don’t even bother picking them up. At other tournaments, they don’t even have trophies ready and make you fill out a form to get either cash or the trophy. As stated before, the champion of every event and top shooter in each class on the main event should have a trophy premade ready to go to crown that achievement. Maybe give second and third an option between trophy and money. It’s very disappointing to be lucky enough to be successful and then have to wait weeks, months to get the reward.

My state champion trophy is a wooden box with a large gold cup on it and it’s very impressive looking and I take a lot of pride in it. My out of state champion trophy is a black and gold ceramic vase/trophy it’s about 15 inches tall and is also impressive looking.

I will say this about an out of state trophy. At my neighboring state, they gave away $500 and a trophy to the top out-of-state shooter. There were between 20 and 30 out-of-state shooters at their tournament. After deducting the cost of clays and the out-of-state award, this injected $1500-$2000 into the tournament that might not have been there had it not been for the award. I think having that out of state award will motivate more people to come and help support the tournament.

Just a few thoughts from my personal experiences...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:33 am 
Field Grade

In PA we have a shooter that makes a custom ring for the PA state champion every year. Much nicer than a trophy and it's individualized by him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dmaroon
As I stated before, last year the trophies (medals) for NYS shoot were purchased way ahead of time and sitting out on a table for all to see. When the shoot was over and results finalized the winners were announced and less than half of the winners stayed around for the trophies. We had a Medal with ribbon for 1st - 3rd in each class and concurrent. The cost to buy them was nearly $1000 and the money comes from the NY State association. Obviously most didn't care enough to wait the 45 minutes it took to determine shoot offs and state winners. Waste of a $1000 to me. Buy the way I won a concurrent medal and it hangs on my rack with others that for the most part are ignored. It meant more to me to see my name listed in the magazine than it did to get a medal. Now we don't have shoot results in the magazine!!!!!
I think that some of our current clubs and NSCA officials and officers have forgotten that registered shoots are a "competition" and if the competitors are not celebrated correctly then interest in competing will diminish. Taking home a trophy seems to be a low priority for most shooters. Publishing the winners names in a nationally distributed magazine for all to see and admire is a reasonable reward.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Tom Bryant wrote:
Jon Kruger turns out some beautiful wood turnings, befitting a champion’s trophy. And what better than a trophy made by one of the best the sport has ever known. Check out http://www.jonkrugerwoodart.com.

Second this!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

the Rev wrote:
Dmaroon
As I stated before, last year the trophies (medals) for NYS shoot were purchased way ahead of time and sitting out on a table for all to see. When the shoot was over and results finalized the winners were announced and less than half of the winners stayed around for the trophies. We had a Medal with ribbon for 1st - 3rd in each class and concurrent. The cost to buy them was nearly $1000 and the money comes from the NY State association. Obviously most didn't care enough to wait the 45 minutes it took to determine shoot offs and state winners. Waste of a $1000 to me. Buy the way I won a concurrent medal and it hangs on my rack with others that for the most part are ignored. It meant more to me to see my name listed in the magazine than it did to get a medal. Now we don't have shoot results in the magazine!!!!!
I think that some of our current clubs and NSCA officials and officers have forgotten that registered shoots are a "competition" and if the competitors are not celebrated correctly then interest in competing will diminish. Taking home a trophy seems to be a low priority for most shooters. Publishing the winners names in a nationally distributed magazine for all to see and admire is a reasonable reward.

I agree with this. From what I was told it was nearly $1429 for the glass Trophies 1st-3rd and concurrent then we had to spend additional money to mail them out for those that couldn't pick them up. I feel the State Champion and RU should get a nice trophy if the rest of the classes would rather have money then so be it. I agree with you Rev it was always nice to see the results in the magazine back in the day it was something I looked forward to looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:09 pm 
Field Grade

:lol: $1429???? You guys are rookies. Our state association spent nearly $9000 for our state trophies. :shock:

And I watched one of the guys take his eagle trophy and toss it in the dumpster. :x

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had the fortune of winning state champ of NM a few times. Once there was no trophy at all, once a belt buckle, and once a silver cup on a wooden base. I also won a couple events at the Washington state shoot one year. Their trophies were wooden plaques in the shape of WA with engraved metal stating the event, year, etc. Those were really nice and they hang on the wall rather than sit on a shelf. My vote is a nice trophy to remember the win. Kruger's handmade trophies, wall plaques, and belt buckles are nice too. As long as the items are tasteful and not too cheap they should be appreciated, in my opinion.

NSCA #604835
Certified NSCA Referee
FITASC Regional Referee
Level 1 Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:45 am 
Presentation Grade

This question has gone the way of like asking, what do people like to see for lunch at a shoot.

Everyone has different feelings about it and can also change, pertaining to the shoot. I've tossed some, stored some, displayed some. All different. If presenting trophies, make them nice. I'd rather get 20 bucks than something that speaks of...we don't have any money for trophies. Sure, would like to see a presentation....but understand sometimes its time to go, as well as some presentations are dragged out. Understand the additional cost of shipping awards. If I ran a shoot, there would be a understanding in writing that you win, pick up your award or you pay for shipping. Pretty easy to understand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cash is king.
Sooner or later most trophies end up in the dumpster.