ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Autoloader choices for clays only
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm not bashing Fabs but I would say they are the least likely gun to see at a sporting clays course. Knowing dozens of shooters that are constantly buying and changing guns of every brand out there I've only come across 1 other guy practicing with one. And he was not happy with it. Kguns, Pguns, Bguns, Guerinis, Tristar, Gambas, Remingtons, Zolis, Benelli, you name it. Why so few Fabs? Is it a regional thing? Not marketed well? I even know more shooters with Bredas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gee, make one wonder how they can get anyone to buy one...

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Boomhand wrote:
I'm not bashing Fabs but I would say they are the least likely gun to see at a sporting clays course. Knowing dozens of shooters that are constantly buying and changing guns of every brand out there I've only come across 1 other guy practicing with one. And he was not happy with it. Kguns, Pguns, Bguns, Guerinis, Tristar, Gambas, Remingtons, Zolis, Benelli, you name it. Why so few Fabs? Is it a regional thing? Not marketed well? I even know more shooters with Bredas.

JMO, but I`ve never felt that Fabarm had the distribution network that they needed and deserved. Far more places to see and feel B guns, and most of the rest. I recall seeing mention by posters saying something to the effect that they`d like to try one but couldn`t get to one. Mine`s a field gun as opposed to one of the target variants, but I sure do like it, even if it`s the least expensive gun they make.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Same with their O/Us. I’ve only seen one being used and he was a 1 round a month shooter. They advertise in every sporting clay magazine. I have a 391 and a A400 but mostly shoot O/U. I’d say the A400 is built about as well as a Home Depot ceiling fan but they shoot well and have a winning track record.
Interesting that the A300 workings look more like a 391

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah. You aren’t going to walk into Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Joe’s Gun Emporium and see a dozen on the rack in rainbow colors. I had to order mine based on faith and reviews. I don’t regret it for a minute. Best money I ever spent on a modern gas auto.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Boomhand wrote:

JMO, but I`ve never felt that Fabarm had the distribution network that they needed and deserved. Far more places to see and feel B guns, and most of the rest. I recall seeing mention by posters saying something to the effect that they`d like to try one but couldn`t get to one. Mine`s a field gun as opposed to one of the target variants, but I sure do like it, even if it`s the least expensive gun they make.

The distribution could be a factor regionally. Fabarm auto's are not common to see in my area either. When the XLR5's first came out, there was more buzz about them and a few of those got out in the competition crowd. There were a couple at my home club and a few more i would see when I shot a little further south.

Early on, the gun itself was a big beast....on the heavy side and the grip area was not ideal unless the shooter had larger hands. I think in my area, that created some stigma that carried forward. I shot one of the ones at my club and I liked a lot about it but even for me at 6 foot and about 230 pounds, it felt like a whole lot of gun and a lot of weight forward. Not balanced neutral or close to it.

I was able to check out the current version of the XLR5 and the L4S last year at the US Open. Wasn't able to shoot them but they both handled very nice. The weight of the XLR5 is similar to the A400 I have shot for the past 3 years and the L4S a little lighter. Nice solid feel in the hands and I liked the balance of them very much.

I considered buying an L4S last year but ended up waiting while I pondered giving another run at shooting an O/U. After flirting with the idea of the Beretta 694 for several months, I recently bought a safe queen CG Summit from a friend at my home club. My A400 will move from the primary position to back up gun. Maybe someday I will try the L4S but not for now.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:47 pm 
Limited Edition

casonet wrote:
That kinda sounds like a Fab slight from a B Gun fanboy

They all break down or malfunction. I have borrowed a few squad mates guns to finish a round when my 390 was struggling.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Boomhand wrote:
Been shooting registered sporting clays shoots for about 5 years. The only time I've seen a Fab auto at a shoot was a few months ago when a shooter on my squad asked to finish the last 4 stations with my 391 because of constant malfunctions with the Fab. But I will say a few high volume shooters I shoot with are starting to see some issues with their A400s as parts wear.

I see a few XLR5s around, not many L4S. However, on my squad of (4) there are 3 XLR5s and 1 L4S which is mine. There different guns, weight, balance, gas system, etc. I've only got 23K lifetime registered NSCA targets so you are probably more versed than me on seeing them at major shoots......I don't see them. I had several Perazzis but sold them and now only shoot the L4S Sporting 30". I would recommend either one, the XLR5 or the L4S but I don't know about the durability, only rounds 7K thru mine so far.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m a 390 guy (have four) and my teenage boy shoots an XLR5. Very impressed with the XLR5, beefy gas system compared to the 390, not that I’ve ever had issues with a 390.

I have many friends happy with the A400 as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:11 am 
Limited Edition

Gherkin05 wrote:
I’m a 390 guy (have four) and my teenage boy shoots an XLR5. Very impressed with the XLR5, beefy gas system compared to the 390, not that I’ve ever had issues with a 390.

I have many friends happy with the A400 as well.

I have 3 390’s, and I have broken/replaced braces, springs, lifter, bolt and link, ejector and most likely more parts I am forgetting. Light hammer strikes have been the most common problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anything mechanical will sooner or later suffer from broken parts. Bits not brand specific.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:21 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
Anything mechanical will sooner or later suffer from broken parts. Bits not brand specific.

Very true. One of my shooting buddies was competitive on an international level many years back before he ran into health issues that had him pull back and he is one of only a few people that have had a Kreigoff barrel explode during a competition. All guns from all manufacturers are going to have mechanical issues at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have two XLR5 Ajusble rib guns, and one long rib gun. I replaced the steel magazine cap with the aluminum cap, muller chokes, and modified a Berretta 8 oz mercury recoil reducer to fit in the butt stock. Guns balance well now. But, thinking of getting a L4S sporting to try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
Yeah. You aren’t going to walk into Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Joe’s Gun Emporium and see a dozen on the rack in rainbow colors. I had to order mine based on faith and reviews. I don’t regret it for a minute. Best money I ever spent on a modern gas auto.

Same here. I have yet walked into a gun store and seen a Fabarm. I am the only one in my small community to own one. I bought it based on reviews by Randy Wakeman. I recently bought a over under Fabarm and I am very happy with it also, again based on Randys reviews. My only complaint with Fabarm is that they do not make a sub gauge. I wanted a 28ga o/u and had to go with Browning.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:29 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

You can, however, at least to my knowledge, walk into Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Joe’s Gun Emporium and shoulder and buy a Beretta, Benelli, etc. etc. You can’t make me believe that that doesn’t have some influence on why you don’t see any more Fabarm guns in the field or on the range as we do. Good for them. That’s called market penetration and really has little to do with the comparative quality of the products .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Of course! People tend to buy whats available and what they can touch and feel especially when “I want it right now”!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Tried to demo a Fab Arm L4S two years ago contacted two dealers about a demo shoot was told they would get it setup.
Still waiting on the call guessing they have more business then they need.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Flor1 wrote:
Tried to demo a Fab Arm L4S two years ago contacted two dealers about a demo shoot was told they would get it setup.
Still waiting on the call guessing they have more business then they need.

Case in point. I bought my L4S IH in large measure due to Randy`s reviews and other comments. Bought it sight unseen because I`m fortunate enough to where " off the rack " guns fit me and the nearest Fabarm gun was hours away. Not the best way to buy a gun IMO, however.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Here in Texas they are everywhere, autos and O/Us. Strong dealer presence with Guerini has led to more Fabarm availability. In Ft Worth you can demo Fabarm autos and O/Us at Defender Clay Sports Ranch. There is also an independent dealer in Austin that will meet you at a range and let you demo CG and Fabarm models.

I'm sure the same is true in the Houston area, I just don't get down there much.