ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Autoloader choices for clays only
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have considered several different guns over the past few months, Franchi Affinity Sporting, A300 sporting, A400s, Maxus and the Benelli offerings. I went with a Fabarm XLR5. I bought it used. Its the second one I have owned. I have owned several 391s and now have a 391 Sporting 20 ga. I think the Fabarm is a better gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shot the Beretta A400 Xcel for a year and no doubt its a dependable shooting machine with crappy a$$ed pallet wood stock..... I sold that gun a bought NIB Winchester SX1 with some of the finest wood ever to grace a Winchester. The SX1 isn't for everyone, its a heavy competition gun built like no other, built for a beating 100,000 rounds can dish out.

I owned and shot many thousand rounds through a Beretta A300, another shooting machine I liked better than the A400 because I like the old 390/391 stock & grip design . The A300 is an upgraded 390 with budget wood and trigger group but has the improved self cleaning gas system like the A400.

All the guns listed in this thread would go above & beyond what the OP wants. If I were in the market for a new SA it would be the Fabarm L4S Sporting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rack-N-Roy wrote:
I shot the Beretta A400 Xcel for a year and no doubt its a dependable shooting machine with crappy a$$ed pallet wood stock..... I sold that gun a bought NIB Winchester SX1 with some of the finest wood ever to grace a Winchester. The SX1 isn't for everyone, its a heavy competition gun built like no other, built for a beating 100,000 rounds can dish out.

I owned and shot many thousand rounds through a Beretta A300, another shooting machine I liked better than the A400 because I like the old 390/391 stock & grip design . The A300 is an upgraded 390 with budget wood and trigger group but has the improved self cleaning gas system like the A400.

All the guns listed in this thread would go above & beyond what the OP wants. If I were in the market for a new SA it would be the Fabarm L4S Sporting.

Are there "new" Winchester SX1's out there for sale ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

There are some new in box unfired Super X’s to be had if you want one. However, be prepared to pay dearly. A super X in good to excellent condition will sell for $1,000++. New unfired - figure $1,500 and up. There is somewhat of a cult following of these guns now. If you look for a used gun find a good field grade model. They will be less likely to have been shot at thousands of targets like a skeet or trap gun.

Check the Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, and Gunsinternational sites.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Keep an eye open for a used Fabarm L4S or XLR5. I picked up a XLR5 for just a little over a thousand about 6 months ago. I had a Beretta A300, which I sold after I got the Fabarm. The Beretta A300 is not a bad gun, but not in the same class as the Fabarm IMO.

Saw this XLR5 with nice wood for sale on another forum: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/fo ... st-8611427

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:57 am 
Presentation Grade

I have the A400 with KickOff as well as the Fabarms XLR-5 Flat Rib. The Fabarms is for Sporting Clays and other targets, while the A400 is usually reserved for heavy(ie hunting) loads. I think the Fabarms is the better designed and built gun for clay targets. I have been very happy with the Fabarms and would buy another if they were ever offered in 20/28 gauge.

I have no problems with the Beretta either, having had the 391 Sporting in 12 ga and a field model in 20 gauge. I usually take the Beretta when we visit relatives in Las Vegas every year, and it spends two days at the Clark County Shooting Complex digesting 450-500 rds. without cleaning or malfunctioning.

For a clays gun, I would recommend the Fabarms due to the heavier weight(7-1/2# vs 6-3/4# for the A400). But either will work extremely well for clays.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

trackerboy wrote:
I have considered several different guns over the past few months, Franchi Affinity Sporting, A300 sporting, A400s, Maxus and the Benelli offerings. I went with a Fabarm XLR5. I bought it used. Its the second one I have owned. I have owned several 391s and now have a 391 Sporting 20 ga. I think the Fabarm is a better gun.

I'm sure it depends on which XLR5 you got , there are 3 Generations , which one ?
The ability to fit this gun to you will determine , how much better it is to your 391's .
The tapered bore , all 5 constrictions of chokes with a adjustable Rib and Comb is
fantastic but if you have small hands , it's like shouldering a telephone pole !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:06 pm 
Crown Grade

USAFA71 wrote:
I have the A400 with KickOff as well as the Fabarms XLR-5 Flat Rib. The Fabarms is for Sporting Clays and other targets, while the A400 is usually reserved for heavy(ie hunting) loads. I think the Fabarms is the better designed and built gun for clay targets. I have been very happy with the Fabarms and would buy another if they were ever offered in 20/28 gauge.

I have no problems with the Beretta either, having had the 391 Sporting in 12 ga and a field model in 20 gauge. I usually take the Beretta when we visit relatives in Las Vegas every year, and it spends two days at the Clark County Shooting Complex digesting 450-500 rds. without cleaning or malfunctioning.

For a clays gun, I would recommend the Fabarms due to the heavier weight(7-1/2# vs 6-3/4# for the A400). But either will work extremely well for clays.

My A400 excel sporting actually weight 8 pounds and eats anything I feed it. The Fabarm sporting guns are good guns. I still would buy Beretta but that’s because I have a lot of excellent history with them

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've had several 391s. Still have a 20ga. They are excellent guns. That being said, I wouldn't take them all back if I had to give up my XLR5 LR. I had a talk with Rich Cole a couple of years back and he told me in his opinion the best made semi on the market today. He may have since changed his mind, I have no idea. Mine is a 2013 build. I have no idea what generation that is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I can vouch for the A400 xcel, it's a great gun, super reliable, great feel and swing, and they are on the spendy side, but for a good dedicated semi auto there really isn't anything better. You could take a risk on a fabarm..........to me they are unproven.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Really! Based on what? Suggest you tell the same to Mr. Wakenan.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:19 am 
Presentation Grade

I read tea leaves, Fabarm XLR5 is in johnnie g's future :s

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

gdub41 wrote:
I can vouch for the A400 xcel, it's a great gun, super reliable, great feel and swing, and they are on the spendy side, but for a good dedicated semi auto there really isn't anything better. You could take a risk on a fabarm..........to me they are unproven.

The Beretta A400 is probably a fine gun, I don’t know personally because I’ve never owned or shot one, and Beretta has many fans. Having said that , one thing Fabarm guns are not is “unproven “. Also, IMHO to say that there “ really isn’t anything better “ regarding ANYTHING suggests extensive personal research and experience with whatever else is in that particular product’s type or class. Otherwise it’s simply a statement of opinion by a fan of a given product.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:01 am 
Crown Grade

The Beretta semi's and the Fabarm XLR are very different guns. They feel and swing very different. I just have a problem when semi's start getting over that 2k price point. Then I start to question resale and value. I haven't seen a Fabarm on a SC course. I do see them for sale pre owned at a sharp discount.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:09 am 
Tournament Grade

I am a flat rib fan for Sporting, but I really don't want the Triwood finish. So, if I go Fabarm, I'm leaning toward the L4S Grey or Deluxe Sporter. But, they are pricey.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:59 am 
Presentation Grade

I believe the Generations are from stock design , earlier ones had long (uncomfortable) pistol
grips and the 2nd Gens had cheap wood with little figure but the latest ones are a Knockout as,
pretty as you'll find anywhere but the gun is still bulky in the hands compared to a 391 . If it
wasn't so limited in what shot sizes it could shoot , it might be closer to a A400 ? you think ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

Ravenanme wrote:
I believe the Generations are from stock design , earlier ones had long (uncomfortable) pistol
grips and the 2nd Gens had cheap wood with little figure but the latest ones are a Knockout as,
pretty as you'll find anywhere but the gun is still bulky in the hands compared to a 391 . If it
wasn't so limited in what shot sizes it could shoot , it might be closer to a A400 ?
you think ?

I have owned both an XLR5 Sporting and an L4S and never knew they were limited in what shot sizes could be used. I thought the manual specifically said their chokes were all steel rated. Did I miss something?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would like to know where it is written about limiting shot size. It’s not in my manual and as pointed out, all chokes are steel rated including the fullest. The guns are even proofed much higher than required by the Italian proof house.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:14 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
I would like to know where it is written about limiting shot size. It’s not in my manual and as pointed out, all chokes are steel rated including the fullest. The guns are even proofed much higher than required by the Italian proof house.

They aren't limited on shot size. He may be shell length since the sporting models are chambered to 2.75 rather than 3 or 3.5 but you can get the larger chamber by going with the various hunting models so I think it is just a biased comment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lacyb wrote:
casonet wrote:

They aren't limited on shot size. He may be shell length since the sporting models are chambered to 2.75 rather than 3 or 3.5 but you can get the larger chamber by going with the various hunting models so I think it is just a biased comment.

Yes it was something I should not have repeated about shot size with Steel shot
as I just reviewed the new manual and could find it . I know I read it when I purchased
my XLR5 so they must of improved these chokes !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next