ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Autoloader choices for clays only
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Lacyb wrote:
casonet wrote:
I would like to know where it is written about limiting shot size. It’s not in my manual and as pointed out, all chokes are steel rated including the fullest. The guns are even proofed much higher than required by the Italian proof house.

They aren't limited on shot size. He may be shell length since the sporting models are chambered to 2.75 rather than 3 or 3.5 but you can get the larger chamber by going with the various hunting models so I think it is just a biased comment.

He is not alone. I wish the Sporting model with it’s 32”’barrel and stock dimensions had a 3”. chamber.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:35 pm 
Crown Grade

DKW1 wrote:
Lacyb wrote:
casonet wrote:
I would like to know where it is written about limiting shot size. It’s not in my manual and as pointed out, all chokes are steel rated including the fullest. The guns are even proofed much higher than required by the Italian proof house.

They aren't limited on shot size. He may be shell length since the sporting models are chambered to 2.75 rather than 3 or 3.5 but you can get the larger chamber by going with the various hunting models so I think it is just a biased comment.

He is not alone. I wish the Sporting model with it’s 32”’barrel and stock dimensions had a 3”. chamber.

That would assume an intended field use in addition to the gun`s intended use, clay target shooting?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:26 am 
Tournament Grade

My autoloader opinion(s) from personal experience:

Rem 1100 - I have an older 80's model 12g that I have both a 26" and 28" barrel for that I have put thousands of shells through over the years - sporting clays, clays in the back yard, and dove. Keep it clean, never any issues. Very enjoyable to shoot.

Rem 1100 Sporting 12 - new model; I have about a 1000 rounds through it and it tends to fail to feed about 1 out of 100 rounds shooting at sporting clays. Love the gun, nice balance, soft shooter; but not sold on the reliability as I am on the older model.

Beretta 391 - I traded into this gun from a friend who used it for duck hunting. Great gun, reliable as they come. I have shot it at clays and it shoots anything I have put in it from 1145 fps to 1200+ fps.

Beretta A400 20g - such an easy, comfortable shooter and very reliable. Never an issue

Benelli Super Sport II - traded into this gun from a friend. I have put thousands of shells through it at sporting clays; 100% reliable, never an issue with all loads. Easy to clean.

Honestly, if i was looking to keep one of the above for only clay shooting, I would pick the Benelli. Why? Reliable with all loads (1145 - 1200+ fps, 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz), points great for me, easy to clean, no recoil issue with any target load.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:29 am 
Presentation Grade

All I can add to these posts is , the track record of a 390/391 ! It's easy to see as a competitive
shotgun , it has been in a class of its own , with Champion clay target shooters who have made
their mark in the sport . With reliable operation of 7/8 oz to the heaviest live bird loads for the
field . Still Beretta leads the pack with their A400 and A400 Multi-target for the discriminating
live bird or target shooter . As gas guns are preferred !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have 2 XLR5s, both Long Rib, They have to be the best built auto clay gun available today. There is not much to wear out on them. They have a oil finish that is easy to care for. I have put thousands of rounds through them. I was shooting a over under on my annual visit to The Tucson Trap and Skeet Club and after 200 rounds a day for over a week the recoil was taking its toll. After using the Fabarms those days are over. The only complaint some have is that it is a big gun but I am a big guy. It swings great and I can shoot a perfect round of skeet with it (now and then :D )
The prices of used have dropped and some dealers will not take them on a trade. I saw an ad last year for a adjustable rib model for $1300. I may sell one of mine some day but no plans yet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

wrfish wrote:
I have 2 XLR5s, both Long Rib, They have to be the best built auto clay gun available today. There is not much to wear out on them. They have a oil finish that is easy to care for. I have put thousands of rounds through them. I was shooting a over under on my annual visit to The Tucson Trap and Skeet Club and after 200 rounds a day for over a week the recoil was taking its toll. After using the Fabarms those days are over. The only complaint some have is that it is a big gun but I am a big guy. It swings great and I can shoot a perfect round of skeet with it (now and then :D )
The prices of used have dropped and some dealers will not take them on a trade. I saw an ad last year for a adjustable rib model for $1300. I may sell one of mine some day but no plans yet.

I wish we could all be so happy with our guns. Oh, wait...I am!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

The OP claims the Beretta 390 has a “complicated” gas system, which is a complete falsehood.

The 390 gas system is very, very simple as it’s comprised of only two parts...a flat washer connected to a calibrated relief spring...can’t get much simpler than that...!

Now, the 391 does have an over-engineered gas system...but to its credit...it’s as reliable as the 390’s much simpler two part system.

There is a very good reason that used 390’s and 391’s sell for a premium...they flat out work great (and don’t use the plethora of plastic parts found on current production semi’s)!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:34 pm 
Limited Edition

cleboje wrote:
The OP claims the Beretta 390 has a “complicated” gas system, which is a complete falsehood.

The 390 gas system is very, very simple as it’s comprised of only two parts...a flat washer connected to a calibrated relief spring...can’t get much simpler than that...!

Now, the 391 does have an over-engineered gas system...but to its credit...it’s as reliable as the 390’s much simpler two part system.

There is a very good reason that used 390’s and 391’s sell for a premium...they flat out work great (and don’t use the plethora of plastic parts found on current production semi’s)!

Just so you know, I am always impressed by folks who use the word plethora. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Tidefanatic wrote:
DKW1 wrote:
Lacyb wrote:
casonet wrote:

That would assume an intended field use in addition to the gun`s intended use, clay target shooting?

Yes, although we are talking Clay guns, the LS4 would be more appealing to me with a 3” chamber.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

cleboje wrote:

I said the A400 Xcel was "not as complicated" as the 390/391. I have never owned a 390/391 & by what I have read, they both weren't as simple as the A400 Xcel. If the 390 has less moving parts & is simpler, then I stand corrected. Fair enough ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a 390, 391 and A300 Outlander. I think the 390 has about as simple a self-regulating gas system as could be designed...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does anyone find the left side bolt closer on the Fabarm ackward?

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All chokes M(agic)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I haven't found it to be awkward.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:20 am 
Crown Grade

Hwcn wrote:

I did at first but after a couple of boxes, no. Now that I'm used to it, never think about it anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Hwcn wrote:

Shot S/A for 40 years and the left side release is more intuitive to use for me. I also found new shooters can handle and close the breech more comfortably then they could with my other guns with the release on the conventional side.

I own a L4S and XLR5 FR. They both run 1 oz 1170 rounds without issue. I like the feel of the XLR5 FR over the L4S. The L4S is lighter but I can't tell any difference in felt recoil between the two.

The forearm retention system of the L4S is fantastic bit of engineering.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Hwcn wrote:

I actually think this is a better spot for it. When I load shells, I cradle the receiver in my left hand and insert shells with my right. After dropping one in the chamber, I squeeze the receiver with my left hand to close the bolt, then push another shell into the magazine with my right. Squeezing with my left hand leaves my right hand free to immediately align the next shell for insertion. The movement is much smoother and more efficient than loading a shell, then hitting the button, and then aligning another shell and finally loading that shell with the same (right) hand.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree. Cradle the gun with my left hand finger on the button.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Been shooting registered sporting clays shoots for about 5 years. The only time I've seen a Fab auto at a shoot was a few months ago when a shooter on my squad asked to finish the last 4 stations with my 391 because of constant malfunctions with the Fab. But I will say a few high volume shooters I shoot with are starting to see some issues with their A400s as parts wear.

Last edited by Boomhand on Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That kinda sounds like a Fab slight from a B Gun fanboy

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:02 pm 
Limited Edition

casonet wrote:
I agree. Cradle the gun with my left hand finger on the button.

Interesting. It's actually the heel of my palm that rests on the button as I cradle the receiver. The gun balances well in this position - laid on its side with the open chamber pointing straight up. The perfect balance in this position allows me to keep effortless control of the gun with my left hand as I reach for the shells from my pouch with my right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next