ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving to Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Family looking at making a move to Texas, San Antonio area. Would appreciate hearing from Texans and the locals about the area. Weather, areas, clays and waterfowling. Wife is more the city girl.

Retired, no kids. And not bringing the California attitude thats made this state famous.

Post subject: Re: Moving to Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

San Antonio is a huge city (space wise) and has a lot to offer. Shooting , hunting , etc.

It is subject to flooding so make sure you scope out the places to lie and stay on high ground.

Austin is 30 ish miles away and also offers a lot. Great music scene and a college town in the better ways of a college town.

I was in San Antonio when Hurricane Patricia came from the Pacific Ocean ,, crossed Mexico and hit SA. What a mess. The NSCA Nationals were happening and one whole day got flooded out. Also , it seems to hale there at the drop of a hat. The summer is H-O-T but come fall , when the white wing doves migrate , you'll forget all that. Never too cold in winter.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

I grew up in SAT. It's hot in the summer, typically gorgeous weather in the winter. Fairly dry, hurricanes not withstanding. Good airport, lots of non-stop flights (Southwest hub) and a short hop to Houston where you can get a flight to anywhere in the world. Lots of good restaurants of every ethnic type you could want, obviously some great Tex-Mex and bbq. You will find housing (and almost everything else) incredibly cheap compared to most of California - If I were to move there now I would look for a house out west or north in the Hill Country. For example, Boerne is now sort of a suburb of SAT, and you can get a little land and some great views out there.

Waterfowl hunting in the immediate area is spotty at best. Great dove hunting and deer hunting close-in, as well as bass fishing in the local lakes. You are probably 2.5 - 3 hours from typically good to great waterfowl hunting (ducks, geese, cranes) and great fishing on the coast and the coastal plains. And South Texas has some of the best wild quail hunting in the country.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I live an hour north of SA and spend lots of time there, have family there. I'd look on the west and north-west side, Helotes and Boerne. Boerne has a great club, Joshua Creek. Of course you have the National Complex as well.

There's great waterfowl hunting within an hour and a half heading towards the coast. Tons of hunting opportunities in the Hill Country and South Texas.

SA is a great location for a shotgunner and outdoorsman, tons to do in every direction.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am so jealous.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 pm 
Utility Grade

San Antonio is a great city for the shooter. Yes it is extremely hot and dry, I say we have 2 seasons, bake and broil. Competing on a skeet field at a temp of 100+ is not a great experience :).
There are ranges open 7 days a week and 365 days a year within an hour drive.
For Sporting - Joshua Creek and Moyesway are open daily. Nationals and San Antonio Gun Club, five stand, are 5 days a week.

Trap and Skeet - Comal County Shooting Complex, Bandera Gun Club and Bexar County Community are open daily. Nationals, San Antonio Gun club are again 5 days.

Other nearby ranges, approx 1.5 hours away are: Marble Falls - Copperhead Creek, Austin - Capital City Clays and Austin Gun.

As to the city of Austin, there are Texans who do not claim it. Referred to as part of California. It is growing by leaps and bounds, but a few locals are doing everything they can to not grow. Traffic is a major problem. City motto is "Keep Austin Weird".

Good luck in choosing the right place, doubtful you can make a bad decision in relocating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:58 pm 
Limited Edition

You could then go to 74 Ranch for romantic getaways!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:38 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

bdog,

All of the replay;s are right on. For me, I live 200 miles West and am closer to the desert. We very seldom have very much humidity. San Antonio does for me but when you get closer to the gulf, the heat might not show high on a thermometer but with the humidity it can be a real b***h. I go to South Padre fishing a couple of times a year but as long as I am in my boat on the water I never get too hot. That is until I get into the harbor out at the condo.

I would like to give you a big Howdy. I am in San Angelo and you have a great club here. I don't shoot anymore but let me know if you are coming to town and I will break out one of my shotguns and we will go shoot a little. Just like everywhere else, we follow all of the recommendations for Covid.

Mike McAlpine
"Inside the Mind of a Target Setter"

By the way, your stock went way up with most Texans when you said "And not bringing the California attitude that made this state famous" LOL

WELCOME

I should have suggested that you move to San Angelo. There is not a traffic problem here. We have six lakes to fish, swim a ski in out area. Of course in dry years it is sometimes hard to launch a boat. LOl our deer are bigger than those around San Antonio. (Not knocking San Antonio) but not a big as South Texas. Another good thing is that we live closer to El Paso; 200 miles closser. It is only a short 400 mile jup to the big city on the Rio Grande. When I was the NSCA Chief Instructor or setting the Nationals and World Championships, I spent plenty of time there. My mother used to live there too.

Our dove hunting is not bad and leases are not too expensive either. Quail hunting is spotty at best. Some years we are covered and other years, the only place you could find a quail is in a good restaurant. As a Texan would say " this is no bull$hit. Several years ago I had a great quail lease at gail Texas. I have never seen so many quail. Half (My son in law, grandson and I once found 59 coveys in one day and that was with no dogs) were Bob's and the other half were Blue's. (Scale quail from you guys up North)

I know I will get a bunch of crap when I say that we have the best Mexican food and stakes in the country. Again, I am not knocking the San Antonio food industry. Heck, they have Pappadeaux's and Rudy's. What more could a person want? The only place that I think has better food is the state of Louisiana. I love Cajun Seafood. I don't care much for their "Road Kill Gumbo though. Straight from the mouth of my friend Gary Todd who is older than Methuselah but he is a nice guy. Taught him everything he knows about shooting a shotgun. LOL He taught me a lot about women. My wife didn't agree though.

Last edited by Mike McAlpine on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don’t live in Texas have worked there some & visit when we can. I would be looking at Bourne. Close to San Antonio not too big not too small. Bass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

I work in SA and live in a small town on the outskirts of town...as others have mentioned, life is good here...many options for those who enjoy the outdoors and especially the shooting sports...fresh and saltwater fishing in abundance too. Give me a shout once you are settled in and we’ll indulge in some trigger therapy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

+1 on Boerne ... Within 1-1.5 hrs of excellent dove hunting. Cap city , Austin Gun club and the National gun club for sporting. New Braunfels, Wimberley are other good areas as well that give you a closer commute to Austin / Cap City.

Houston is the hot spot for shooting weekend tournaments and Greater Houston Sports Club is incredible. Several other to mention as well. If I was ever to move back to Houston I’d make sure GHSC would be within a 20-30 minute commute (Pearland, Sugarland) are somewhat close. Memorial City area a little further and straight up beltway 8. Excellent waterfowl on both East and West Houston. My favorite outfitter is Brian Fisher xxx.drake-plantation.xxx.

The panhandle has good Canada Goose & Crane hunting. xxx.Blackfootoutdoors.com. Sometimes they have pigeon shoots over decoys.

DL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am so jealous.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:47 am 
Presentation Grade

Appreciate all the comments, and invites. A lot.

Enjoy all faucets of wingshooting, but nothing grabs me more then working mallards or specks. We have tremendous opportunities in Cal for this part of waterfowling. Big game I don't do much of any more. I've toned down my saltwater fishing when I got more involved in clays. I typically shoot 4-5k registered. And....I love that 74 ranch.

Again, appreciate your time to respond.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Thing a sportsman needs in Texas is long legged transportation. Roads are good 500 mile day no problem,. From Bourne 500 East South or West wonderful opportunities North possibly don’t know anything about North Texas.

Last February spent two weeks in and around Fort Davis . Part of Texas I had not seen. It’s wonderful. Isolated for full time, getaway place near top of my list. Will be back soon.

Bass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

Taking U.S. 281 North from San Antonio is one of the prettiest drives in Texas once you get past the construction mess in Bulverde. Blanco, Johnson City, Burnet, Marble Falls, Lampasas, etc. Sporting clays at Copperhead in Marble Falls, Austin Gun Club in Lampasas, Greystone Castle in Mingus, and Fossil Point in Decatur. Greystone Castle is special. It would make a great multi-day road trip for a clay shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I hope not to be too far behind you in our exodus from this once great state.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bet JacksBack is jealous.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:
Taking U.S. 281 North from San Antonio is one of the prettiest drives in Texas once you get past the construction mess in Bulverde. Blanco, Johnson City, Burnet, Marble Falls, Lampasas, etc. Sporting clays at Copperhead in Marble Falls, Austin Gun Club in Lampasas, Greystone Castle in Mingus, and Fossil Point in Decatur. Greystone Castle is special. It would make a great multi-day road trip for a clay shooter.

Indeed! I live between Johnson City and Marble Falls. There's a new club under construction at Horseshoe Bay. Should be similar to Joshua Creek when completed. Getting spotty reports from the Horseshoe Bay staff but it may be open by summer '21.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:36 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I went to high school in San Antonio. I grew up in Victoria. I worked in Houston and I went to grad school in Austin. I collected plants in the Trans Pecos. I am a Texan by birth and a Kansan by choice. If I were to move back to Texas, I would want to be closer to the coast than San Antonio because I like to fish in salt water and hunt waterfowl. I like where I am in my adopted state. I still thank my lucky stars that I lived on the coastal bend of Texas.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:06 pm 
Field Grade

My wife and I are building a home a bit north and east of San Antonio in New Braunfels. If you message me your email address, I will send you a list of sporting clays facilities that are in the area.