ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Ears / Pro Tac Slim Gold or Pro Ears Predator Gold
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I shoot about 300 rounds a week, shotgun only, have a significant hearing loss, and already wear hearing aids. That said, I do want to preserve what hearing I have. Been wearing molded plugs but need to hear the traps. Need some advice. I am going to get ESP digitals but also might use Pro Ear electronic muffs as well. The Pro Tac Slim weighs 11.1 ounces and has a NRR of 28 and the Pro Tac Predator Gold weighs 9.3 ounces and has a NRR of 26. The latter looks a bit "slimmer". Any thoughts, preferences.

Post subject: Re: Pro Ears / Pro Tac Slim Gold or Pro Ears Predator Gold
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I use the Pro Ears Gold II 26 muffs doubled up with solid molded plugs. With the volume maxed out, I can hear others speak, but not clearly. The gel ear seals create a good seal and make them very comfortable. Perhaps other models of Pro Ears amplify sound differently.

I also have a pair of the Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs. They amplify better, but hit my stock. The Pro Ears seem to do a better job encasing my ears and feel a lot better than the Howard Leight's. I would not wear either pair without doubling up with in ear protection.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Use my promo code "bespecial" for 20% all proears .....I personally use the Silvers...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I have hearing aids and have worn Pro Ears for 20 plus years. Two layers of electronic protection are a redundancy with little benefit. Solid plugs with Pro Ears will give you all the protection you need and you will get. If you wear in the ear hearing aids, you can turn them off and use them as plugs with Pro Ears. My audiologist said that should be worth about 24 NRR that is combined with the efficiency of the muffs. It is certainly much cheaper than doubling up on electronic protection. I just wear the muffs. The sound level is quite comfortable. I have worn electronic plugs and won't say a bad word about them, but the muffs work better for me. The electronic plugs really come into play if you life where it's hot or your head is built such that muffs interfere with your mount. I live in northern Michigan and my muffs do double duty as ear warmers five months of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just bought Sound Gear instant fit electronic . A hearing aif company, Starkey makes them. Cust Svc is vg. They even connected me with an Audiologist.